TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> help me get rid of these ads <<<

Pages (5): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
troycarpenter is offline Old Post 11-20-2001 06:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for troycarpenter Find more posts by troycarpenter Add troycarpenter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
troycarpenter

quote:
Originally posted by embeem:
code:
dbobj $obj remove "Expiration"

and
code:
dbobj $obj set "Expiration" 0

freudian slip

So how does that relate to your mother?

Oh, and I never tried the original script because I figured, as you state later, that the item would never expire!

Troy

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 11-20-2001 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by troycarpenter:
So how does that relate to your mother?

Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

------------------

"[E]ven the unauthorized home time-shifting of... programs is legitimate fair use."
-- Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984)

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-21-2001 01:13 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UNick

From reading the thread, it seem the majority of the frustration is about control, or lack of it. One of the joys of TIVO is the ability to control what, when, and how you watch TV. When TIVO forces its adds on us AND when we are paying for the service it is terribly frustrating. Unfortunately, at this time we have no alternative, so we are forced to stick with TIVO. If customers had a choice and voted with their feet (and pocketbook), they would quickly get rid of them...

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-21-2001 01:19 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UNick

From reading the thread, it seem the majority of the frustration is about control, or lack of it. One of the joys of TIVO is the ability to control what, when, and how you watch TV. When TIVO forces its adds on us AND when we are paying for the service it is terribly frustrating. Unfortunately, at this time we have no alternative, so we are forced to stick with TIVO. If customers had a choice and voted with their feet (and pocketbook), they would quickly get rid of them...

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

troycarpenter is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for troycarpenter Find more posts by troycarpenter Add troycarpenter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
troycarpenter

Now that we have code to remove the ad, would someone please close this thread before the answer gets lost in the political debate...oops, too late.

Troy

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zobetron is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 03:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zobetron Find more posts by zobetron Add zobetron to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zobetron
Rebel Scum

This seems to be an example of a slippery slope.

I think TiVo is testing the waters with this Lexus ad. If their economists figure that the ads bring in more money than they will lose to customers that bail they will bring more ads. Its as simple as that.

The ad seems to be pretty inocuous now but it is conceivable that TiVo could place them anywhere they wanted to (with system upgrades). How would you like to be forced to watch a 30 second ad, with no fast forward control, before you could watch your saved program?

I know this is extremely far fetched, but its all relative. A point to consider. IMHO

BTW, people at TiVo, I'm against any ads. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by zobetron (edited 11-21-2001).]

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff412 is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 04:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff412 Find more posts by Jeff412 Add Jeff412 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff412

Okay, Now how do I remove the ad with just the peanut?

Jeff

P.S. I don't like the ads either.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

troycarpenter is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 06:10 PM
troycarpenter

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff412:
Okay, Now how do I remove the ad with just the peanut?

Jeff

AFAIK, you don't. I don't think there is any way to remove the actual commercials (if TiVo recorded them, mine didn't).

You must have bash prompt access to the box and manually expire the line in the TiVo Central, and I have seen other posts on how to get rid of the Showcase entry as well. In either case you must have a bash prompt, and I assume you have one since you are in the underground forum.

Troy

[This message has been edited by troycarpenter (edited 11-21-2001).]

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJA is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 06:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJA Find more posts by JJA Add JJA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJA
Senior Citizen

Angry

To Tivo Management: MAKE IT GO AWAY! Maybe you noticed we don't want it.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jelwell is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jelwell Visit jelwell's homepage! Find more posts by jelwell Add jelwell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jelwell

quote:
Originally posted by HooperX
While I agree that this is a minor annoyance, easy to ignore, this sets a precedant for the future. It seems to me that paying subscribers should not be forced into ads. If they want to offer a free version riddled with ads, that's cool. But as long as I'm paying my hard-earned bucks, I expect to be in control.

Oh, right, just like your subscription to just about any magazine. Or when you pay for internet service. (Even tivocommunity has ads). Or when you pay for cable television - wait wasn't that supposed to get rid of the ads? Even HBO has ads now. What other subscription services? What about your phone company, they never call or give your name to telemarketers. What about that car you bought, it doesn't say "NISSAN" or "TOYOTA", or whatever brand your car happens to be, on it?

If you look around you might be surprised to find you're hard pressed to find things that aren't ads in your everyday life.

Joseph Elwell.

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Wow, we've ressurrected an OLD thread.

Since this thread got past its shelf life, someone has figured out thru the peanut how to delete the ad.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged