TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVo2 USB Driver: <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fdawg2k3 is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fdawg2k3 Find more posts by fdawg2k3 Add fdawg2k3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdawg2k3

TiVo2 USB Driver:

does anyone know if the newer models (230, ,240, 264, 275, etc) support USB2.0?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gene S is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gene S Find more posts by Gene S Add Gene S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gene S

From my understanding those models have the 2.0 hardware, but all models are only using the 1.1 drivers.

Which brings me to a question. Why don't we have USB 2.0 drivers?

It is that hard to make them work with Tivo? Can the rest of the hardware handle the speed increase of data? Logistical problem because early Series2 don't have the newer hardware?

HMO would be much more enjoyable with the USB2.0 drivers.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

My guess would be because the "original" series 2's only had USB 1.1 hardware, so I guess they are trying to keep everyone on level ground.. I can just imagine the irate customers stuck with 1.1 while everyone else speeds ahead with 2.0.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 03:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

Just out of curiousity, what would happen if they installed the 2.0 drivers on systems with 1.1 USB ports? I'm assuming the 1.1 ports would still work as they'd use the older drivers.

If the ports don't break then how would those people ever know anything was different?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

I don't think maharg18 was saying that anything would break, just that TiVo is trying to keep everyone the same. I don't think the difference in transfer speeds would be that big a deal to most people -- unless someone owned both a 1.1 box and a 2.0 box, I don't know that they'd really be able to tell. More drivers means more potential support costs, although I'd guess they'd be very, very low for this one case.

I think it's pretty likely that we'll see USB 2.0 drivers for the ports eventually -- I just don't know that we'll see any features that rely on 2.0 bandwidth, based on prior statements from TiVo folk.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kupe is offline Old Post 05-30-2004 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kupe Find more posts by kupe Add kupe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
My guess would be because the "original" series 2's only had USB 1.1 hardware, so I guess they are trying to keep everyone on level ground.. I can just imagine the irate customers stuck with 1.1 while everyone else speeds ahead with 2.0.

I hope that's not why they're holding back on USB 2.0, because that would be ridiculous.

One thing we've all had to resign ourselves to in the world of consumer electronics is "instant obsolescence". You no sooner get your computer or whatever out of the box when the very same model gets speed-bumped, faster ports, more storage, and cheaper as well! It's just a fact of life.

The 17" Apple Flat-panel iMac I bought 18-months ago is physically indistinguishable from the latest models. They're even called the same thing. But the new ones have USB 2.0 (vs USB 1.1), 802.11g card support (vs 802.11b only), faster processors, and they're cheaper!

And no- I'm not irate. That's the way it is with consumer electronics. We don't WANT progress to freeze as soon as we buy something! Else, what would we save our pennies for next!

Kupe

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kupe is offline Old Post 05-30-2004 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kupe Find more posts by kupe Add kupe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
I think it's pretty likely that we'll see USB 2.0 drivers for the ports eventually -- I just don't know that we'll see any features that rely on 2.0 bandwidth

I disagree. I can't think of a feature more screaming for USB 2.0 than Multi-room viewing! The assumption, of course, is that it would be rolled out along with 802.11g adapter support.

Swapping out my WUSB11s for WUSB54s talking to USB 2.0 would be a HUGE speed improvement for transferring shows among Tivos.

Kupe

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flar is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 01:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for flar Visit flar's homepage! Find more posts by flar Add flar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flar

Is there an 802.11b adapter that supports WPA encryption? My belief is that they all support only WEP which can be broken and which requires that you run your wireless home network on WEP (do any routers support both WPA and WEP devices at the same time? Mine doesn't).

So, linked in with the USB 2.0 support is that home network security really creates a demand for them to provide an upgrade path for us to switch to 802.11g devices which would be best attached to a USB 2.0 connection.

Keep in mind that I realize that:

- There are some here who have used an ethernet to wireless bridge solution to get at an 802.11g solution, but being able to plug in an 802.11g USB device would be much easier for the average customer.

- You don't really need USB 2.0 to run an 802.11g USB device - what you really need is a driver to enable it (and provide access to the WPA configuration), but it would be silly to release support for 802.11g devices without also enabling the 2.0 speeds of the USB ports.

My point is more that there is already a demand for 802.11g support and that support makes the most sense in the context of enabling USB 2.0.

(Also, I agree with earlier posters that you can't hold everyone back because some customers have an older model - most customers wouldn't even realize that they are running at 1.1 speeds and if they do then they'll call in anyway asking why they can't network faster. Would you rather tell them "Sorry, you'll *never* be able to network faster" or "Sorry, you bought an older unit that has the slower interface - you can upgrade if you want a faster network"? Either way they will be unhappy, but at least the latter gives them something they can do to solve the problem...)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gibby is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gibby Find more posts by gibby Add gibby to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gibby

I can't believe how long its been since I have had an update for my Tivo series 2 ?
I am completely hard wired and would like nothing more but to transfer shows from one Tivo to another at speeds or 480 ?
And I can not believe that Tivo would not come out with USB 2.0 drivers for us to take advantage of the speed.
Someone please help me!!!!
At this point I would like to even try a hack for the driver....
Mark

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tuolumne is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tuolumne Find more posts by tuolumne Add tuolumne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuolumne

i know when are they comming out with a new one?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

how long does it take to write a driver for the USB 2.0?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

At one time, a forum member said it was all done and ready to go -- but that was at least six months ago...

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oxygen99 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oxygen99 Find more posts by Oxygen99 Add Oxygen99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oxygen99

I think Tivo is worried about new customers not old ones. There are a bunch of updates old customers would like to see. New customers don't know better. I am just in a bitter mood, I see all the press and "new features" that are not really new and current HMO users have begged for upgrades for over a year now. Get new customers first then worry about keeping them.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen99
I think Tivo is worried about new customers not old ones. There are a bunch of updates old customers would like to see. New customers don't know better. I am just in a bitter mood, I see all the press and "new features" that are not really new and current HMO users have begged for upgrades for over a year now. Get new customers first then worry about keeping them.

We love all our customers equally. We are still working on 802.11g and USB 2.0 support. It was very recent that any 802.11G USB adapters even came on the market. We should be announcing more in the coming months (including possibly a need for testers).

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 11:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
We love all our customers equally. We are still working on 802.11g and USB 2.0 support. It was very recent that any 802.11G USB adapters even came on the market. We should be announcing more in the coming months (including possibly a need for testers).

I already signed up to be a beta tester, Bill.

Not wireless, but I'm willing to test USB 2.0.

Jim

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oxygen99 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oxygen99 Find more posts by Oxygen99 Add Oxygen99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oxygen99

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill

Bill, I updated my beta application I hope you can see I love Tivo, but I am a bit fustrated. I love seeing Tivo gain more customers and I do my part to help. I also see updates not too often and a lot of new ideas. I know its a fine line to walk. What people want and what sells services and what keeps customers around.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kitzu is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kitzu Find more posts by Kitzu Add Kitzu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kitzu

As a little motivation (ok, VERY little motivation)... when you release support for USB 2.0 and 802.11g, I'll go buy another TiVo box so I can use HMO without getting frustrated. The recent decision to give away HMO (yay!!!) seems like a huge motivation to roll out the support for high speed networking.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged