TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> How would you like to see the Bandwidth Used? <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
trausch is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trausch Find more posts by trausch Add trausch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trausch

How would you like to see the Bandwidth Used?

Here is a list of avaiable HD Channels. I am not the author.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=827

How would you like to see Direct TV Use there bandwidth?

For me it would be locals and maybe add some HDTV hockey games. I usually get the center ice package and I would love to have some of that in HDTV like they do for the NFL. The CBC in Canada sometimes shows Leaf games in HD and I would kill to see that feed.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gquiring is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 08:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gquiring Find more posts by gquiring Add gquiring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gquiring

I would like to see as littile bandwidth as possible used on sports. Starz and locals would be my choice. I cannot get NBC, WB or UPN with my OTA.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ped is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ped Visit ped's homepage! Find more posts by ped Add ped to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ped
****puter Dood

Movie channels in HD is where I'd like to see bandwidth used.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Axiom is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Axiom Visit Axiom's homepage! Find more posts by Axiom Add Axiom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Axiom

HD sports is far more important to me than having HD versions of every movie channel. I'd put HD locals above more movie channels also.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Locals.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bwinter6 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bwinter6 Find more posts by bwinter6 Add bwinter6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bwinter6
April Fool

quote:
Originally posted by tfederov
Locals.

Ditto - Locals!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

T-Wolves is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for T-Wolves Find more posts by T-Wolves Add T-Wolves to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T-Wolves
Information Junkie

Sports, movies, locals.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TroyM is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TroyM Find more posts by TroyM Add TroyM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TroyM

After Fox-HD, I'd like to see NBC-HD and ABC-HD. Having NBC-HD in time for the Olympics would be great.

After that, TNT-HD and whatever HD movie channels they want to add.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MNBugeater is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MNBugeater Visit MNBugeater's homepage! Find more posts by MNBugeater Add MNBugeater to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNBugeater

It appears to me that where HD really shines is live events. So for me, I would vote

1) Locals (which typically carry more live events than other channel types)
2) Sports channels (Regional Sports channels)
3) Movie channels

The other factor (for me anyway) is that DVD movies typically look great. Sure an HD movie should look better, but for me a good DVD looks great without having to show in HD. And with potentially better quality DVDs coming out (HD DVDs), then I would give bandwidth priority to NON-movie channels because of other outlets of HD movies.

Just my opinion...

Warren in MN

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

freff is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for freff Find more posts by freff Add freff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freff

NO LOCALS! Why waste bandwidth on locals that you can get unmolested via a simple antenna? If you have trouble, then hire a professional to set it up for you.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

YES Network......and yes I'm a Yankee's fan.

Didn't even know they we're broadcasting HD!!!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

I'll ditto freff. Use the bandwidth for network HD content. Include WB and UPN in the DNS options for those who don't have them in their locals or won't get locals for a long time. Give me the option to get waivers, as I did for the other four networks. My WB is cable only so the OTA option isn't viable, and my UPN is lower power, but is carried as a subchannel on my Fox affiliates channel.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sotapoppy Find more posts by sotapoppy Add sotapoppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sotapoppy

Since I already get locals OTA, I selfishly say NO LOCALS.

I'd like to see WGN, TNT, Starz & Cinemax or other movie channels.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
I'll ditto freff. Use the bandwidth for network HD content. Include WB and UPN in the DNS options for those who don't have them in their locals or won't get locals for a long time. Give me the option to get waivers, as I did for the other four networks. My WB is cable only so the OTA option isn't viable, and my UPN is lower power, but is carried as a subchannel on my Fox affiliates channel.

This has been hashed over time and time again but the WB and UPN are not NETWORKS and do not qualify under the FCC guidelines of 15 hours of original prime-time programming per week to be classified as such..

DirecTV will NEVER consider carrying them as Distant Networks until they meet those requirements.

DirecTV can offer stations which carry WB AND UPN programming under a Superstation Package but after nearly 10 years of hoping and asking for it, I have given up hope..

If you want WB and UPN ever to be considered being added to the Distant Network Package, Call and Write both UPN and WB and request they expand their programming to meet the FCC guidelines.

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Brewer4 is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brewer4 Find more posts by Brewer4 Add Brewer4 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brewer4

Regional Sports. The only time I am really compelled to watch a live event. Locals would be nice but not necessary with my setup.

I figure about 10 more channels plus locals and thats enough for me. I dont watch more than 20 channels anyways.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by gquiring
I would like to see as littile bandwidth as possible used on sports. Starz and locals would be my choice. I cannot get NBC, WB or UPN with my OTA.

gquiring-
theoretically you will be mint to get your locals OTA once the combiner gets completed (last I checked the rumor on AVS was betweeen now and september)- evertyhing should be similar to cbs then- I think Doug is getting everything in Long Branch right now and he's probably twice your distance. So in your case an Antenna will get you satisfaction probably quicker than D* can get all the NYC locals up. You might even get them all now with a better antenna and/or amp- check out AVS or the other threads here about OTA reception.

Now on to MY wants-

Letter A, Number 1 -- YES Network. I even sent them an email telling them I would pay an extra fee for it.

After that I guess networks since OTA seems to be so unreliable and I personally count as NYC DMA (sorry for being selfish)

Then i suppose more movie channels.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rtaylor123 is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rtaylor123 Find more posts by rtaylor123 Add rtaylor123 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtaylor123

I think the key is not to compromise on whether HD movies or HD sports are transmitted, but rather to transmit HiDef more intelligently. That is, to take advantage of the TiVo time-shifting capabilities.

There would be lots of extra satellite bandwidth for more HD variety if they only had to transmit a movie once or twice to be recorded, instead of playing the same darn movie three times a day for two months.

In an ideal world, DirecTV would implement HD content specifically targeted for HD TiVo. The bandwidth could be shared for live sporting events as well as movies during the off-hours. Unfortunately, this new paradigm would have to supported by the content providers.

A first step would be for the movie content providers to create HD-TiVo channels (e.g. HBO-HD-TiVo, SHO-HD-TiVo) where they aim for lots of different movies with infrequent repeats.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by rtaylor123

A first step would be for the movie content providers to create HD-TiVo channels (e.g. HBO-HD-TiVo, SHO-HD-TiVo) where they aim for lots of different movies with infrequent repeats.

I would have no objection to this idea at all.

You will get a few out there yelling that not everyone has an HD-DVR and you are being unfair but we can not please everyone..

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ChrisW6ATV is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisW6ATV Find more posts by ChrisW6ATV Add ChrisW6ATV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisW6ATV

From the list, I would probably pick History HD and WGN-HD (for Cubs games). If I could pick my own channels to be in HD, I would say Fox Movie Channel and maybe AMC.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chris_h is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chris_h Find more posts by chris_h Add chris_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris_h

I hope that they relieve the overcompression of the existing channels. I just switched from E*, and the D* stuff is shows significantly more compression artifacts, especially on Sacramento locals. I suspect it is the same for locals in other markets.

Does anyone have prior experience with this? In other words, do they typically reduce compression of existing channels when they add bandwidth?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged