TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Best Buy Insert <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kracko is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by cwdrake
I actually bought one yesterday, but I won't be opening the box until next week. I want to make sure that I can still return the thing in case it doesn't work out.

Craig

They can't be returned once they're opened?

Thanks for the info.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vasilemj is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vasilemj Find more posts by vasilemj Add vasilemj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vasilemj

I find it hard to believe that TiVo will just "give away" HMO to their customers but I hope you're right

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

Tivo has a 30-day return policy and Best Buy is 14 days (if they consider this a computer) and 30-days otherwise. Just be sure to keep the packaging and all contents.

I too just bought one enticed byt the Best Buy ad. If they are in fact going to be giving free HMO, wouldn't people who actually paid for it be pretty ticked? Maybe they'll make you pay for the MRV feature or something, but keep the rest free. We can only hope!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwdrake is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwdrake Find more posts by cwdrake Add cwdrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwdrake

@Kracko -- They will probably take them back already opened. I just have no reason to open mine until I move into my new house next week. I am in between places at the moment, but wanted to take advantage of the Best Buy deal that seems too good to be true. So mine is staying in the box, unopened, until next week just in case.

@dmk1974 -- I think you might be right about the MRV feature.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

quote:
Originally posted by vasilemj
I find it hard to believe that TiVo will just "give away" HMO to their customers but I hope you're right

If this turns out to be true, as a loyal customer since October 2000, having purchasing two additional series 2 units with HMO, I hope that they offer some type of credit/discount for the $150 I gave TiVo for HMO when they are looking to provide it for free. I wouldn't ask for a check, but I would hope I would qualify for a credit against a future lifetime sub.

I was thinking about buying a new TiVo this Fall that provided DVD recording capabilities, but now I'm getting a little perturbed.

I want a thank you/incentive based on my loyalty and for the many folks I helped decide to buy a TiVo branded unit themselves and all the help I've provided...I've even convinced three friends to buy HMO for show sharing, etc.

This site is full of very loyal customers that have probably helped sell 3 times their numbers to get TiVo. During the 2000-2002 time period TiVo was much more community oriented than they are now...

If they are going to survive and provide a strong niche SA market, they are going to have to take some lessons from Apple to stay alive.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

I would not be too happy if they just started giving away HMO with new units. I believe that they will anger a lot of loyal customers who paid for it (like myself). If they do go ahead with this however, they should offer SOME kind of incentive to those of us that paid for it. Like d_anders said, I don't believe any of us are expecting a check in the mail, but perhaps some sort of credit towards future TiVo services (maybe a credit for monthly service, or a year free, put the money towards a lifetime if you do monthly or any other number of possibilities). But they should definitely do something or they will have a lot of unhappy, former loyal customers on their hands.

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DVDerek is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 02:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DVDerek Find more posts by DVDerek Add DVDerek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DVDerek
Tivo Rules

Why would you be mad at Tivo if they gave HMO away for free. It was completely your decision to purchase for $100. A decision I joined you in, by the way. Would I love a service credit? You bet. Do I expect or think I deserve one? No.

Prices change. Sometimes drastically. As an early adopter I was betting prices would eventually go up. I was wrong.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

If HMO does "go free," I would also be pleased to have Tivo toss me a bone for being an early adopter, and for paying them $246 to get HMO ... but on the other hand, I've already received way more than $246 in value out of my HMO, so I won't have any regrets if new people are brought on board for free. They can never get back the empty months they spent without HMO.

See also the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard, Matthew 20:1-16.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oxygen99 is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 10:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oxygen99 Find more posts by Oxygen99 Add Oxygen99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oxygen99

If HMO does go free, I won't be mad, but I do know that instead of buying any new features TIVO creates I will just wait a year or two until they make it free. TIVO might do it backwards, make you pay for a so-so feature and then make it free, rather then give a free so-so feature and make you pay for the upgrade to make it great.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knowhere is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knowhere Find more posts by Knowhere Add Knowhere to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knowhere

You guys are somewhat right...

Ok, Tivo is offering to free trial of their Home Media Option. This is good until June 8th. But, when you buy a Tivo from BestBuy, they give you this option for free. Let me explain.

I was in my local BestBuy for about 7 hours yesturday. After being transfered for Rep. to Rep. many times (10), I then got transfer to the Area Manager, which happened to be in that store for the day. He email Bestbuy Corp. and while I was waiting to get an email back, I bumped into the Store Manager and also explained my problem to her. So, finally they recieved and email stating. "BestBuy has nothing to do with the Home Media Option, the custumer has to contact Tivo." After this, I was told by the area manager, to contact tivo. I told him I had already spent about 2 hours yesturday doing that. He told me maybe I got someone who didn't know what they were talking about. This really ticked me off. When I called Tivo, I even talked to the manager they had on call yesturday. So, I knew this wasn't true. So, upset, I started to leave the store. On, my way on the store manager came up to me and asked if they fixed my problem. I said no! So, she got on the phone with Tivo and talked with the manager there.

They finally found out that when you register you Tivo, you have to have the Tivo Serial Number. Which I knew. But, when you use a serial number that was bought from BestBuy, it automaticly signs you up of the Home Media Option. The reason why under System Info, it does show this, is because it takes it up to 72 hours for you to get and be able to use this service. Also, the Tivo Reps. aren't supposed to talk about this offer, that is why when you tell them, Oh BestBuy is offering a free Home Media Option how do I get this, they tell you to go talk to BestBuy. So, I should be able to use the HMO by Sunday. If not, all hell is going to break loose.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

So is BestBuy really offering free HMO?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

How much say that come June 9th those of us who bought from BB will have our HMO disabled (unless Tivo themselves extends the free trial)?

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jjokerski is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jjokerski Find more posts by jjokerski Add jjokerski to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jjokerski
Drank the kool-aid

I paid for HMO on my first unit, was ready to pay for it on my 2nd unit (and probably will if it turns out not to happen). When TiVo ToGo comes out, I'll pay for that, too, because it's a heck of a nice feature. If it's valuable to me, I'll buy it. If it's not, I won't.

I would love if free HMO brings on new customers or sells more Series 2 units. It adds even more incentive for someone sitting on the fence. It also helps me convince others to buy.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flar is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for flar Visit flar's homepage! Find more posts by flar Add flar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flar

I would personally prefer that HMO features were included for free in the base Series 2 TiVo even though I already paid my $99. And I don't expect anything back for having been able to use those services for the past year or so.

This is mostly because their competition will increasingly provide these features as well and they will need it to remain competitive. It will also lead to an increase in sales which is healthy for the company which we still rely on to provide services to our SA devices, and could lead to more money to develop new features for the box I already bought (TiVo ToGo for instance). You can now buy the Series2 hardware that I bought about a year ago for at least $100 less than I paid ($180 less direct from TiVo) if you look for the right sales. An extra $99 to include HMO just sweetens the deal to grow our community and make it more viable in the long run.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by cwdrake
I spoke to someone in TiVo's customer service department last night. They are aware of the Best Buy ad. The women on the other line told me that even though she couldn't "officially" tell me, that HMO will be free to all TiVo users after the trial ends. She said that she has a script that she has to read for people asking questions about the Best Buy ad, but she was very nice and kept trying to find ways to tell me HMO was going to be free, without actually saying that directly. I actually bought one yesterday, but I won't be opening the box until next week. I want to make sure that I can still return the thing in case it doesn't work out.

Craig

This apparently managed to sneak by unoticed by most. Good work, too bad we didn't pay attention!

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

I notice but it was still very hard to believe.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged