TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month... <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Now we REALLY need the DTV TiVo upgraded to support HMO!!!!!!!

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
Now we REALLY need the DTV TiVo upgraded to support HMO!!!!!!!

hey, maybe this is why the DTV guy left in a huff and DirecTTV is distancing itself. They knew HMO was about to become free and screw around with DirectTV business model of not offering/dealing with such services and their content copyright holders.

its HMO or leave, so he left.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

interactiveTV is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for interactiveTV Find more posts by interactiveTV Add interactiveTV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
interactiveTV

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
hey, maybe this is why the DTV guy left in a huff and DirecTTV is distancing itself. They knew HMO was about to become free and screw around with DirectTV business model of not offering/dealing with such services and their content copyright holders.

Yeah. That's it. Are you serious?

_ITV

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
But tco is inferior to MyReplay.com as it doens't let you manage recordings or see the channels you subscribe to. The only thing tco does is search through a database of all programs on all channels. Then you have to pick the right one for your recorder and hope for the best.

It only searches channels you receive. So there's no hoping involved.

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
All true points, which is why I don't say Replay is outright better. However now that Replays multi-room streaming performance is improved to the point where it can stream best-quality video, streaming over 100M ethernet, which lets you jump around and change shows freely is much better than copying over USB 1.1. Replay's options for manipulating other boxes on the network are better than Tivos. Those still work when MyReplayTV takes one of it's many little vacations.

Besides Replay has always been more focused on apparent advantages than actual ones. Make it look better in the flyers and hope that customers won't get hit by the holes until it's too late to get their money back. Being able to boast "FREE NETWORKING FEATURES THAT TIVO CHARGES $150 FOR!" on your web page and store displays helps sell boxes.

Both do different things better. IMO HMOs advantages were a hard sell at 99/49 bucks against a free alternative.

I see what you're saying... and I agree.

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222

You can also have it send you an email confirmation so if there is a conflict you will know about it. If the conflict is something you can live without, just go back, schedule it again, and this time tell it to cancel recordings if needed.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo

I think you are on track. TiVo must have been pushing HMO and Internet downloading and DTV wasn't liking it. They also know that people want it and now they started to see TiVo as a threat.

I can just picture their last meeting together ending with DTV cackling like a made scientist saying..."Ha Ha Ha... Go at it alone... and you will die... Ha Ha we will crush you like a pimple.. Ha Ha Ha..... People will never want to download movies, shows, music, photos off the Internet to be viewed on their TVs... Pay for what you watch???... Ha Ha.... Consumers are dumb they want to pay for 300 channels but only watch 10 of them.... Ha Ha Ha good luck TiVo... "

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sublime is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sublime Visit sublime's homepage! Find more posts by sublime Add sublime to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sublime
Cynic.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure DirectTV sold all of their core assets (XM, Hughes, and TiVo) because of the lack of HMO. Makes perfect sense.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by interactiveTV
Yeah. That's it. Are you serious?

_ITV

somewhat - I doubt it was as dramatic as HMO or leave but it is just too coincidental that he leaves they day before these anouncements are made.

I wonder if there was some serious discussion on TiVos direction and how SAs and DirectTV units fit into the projected TiVo business model.

DirectTv is a large percentage of current revenues but that is by volume , not by margin and it seems that new software features that DirectTV has shown no interest in (HMO) and probably does not want to deal with (Internet download) is basically making the cheap DirectTiVo unit look not as good in comparison anymore.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dugbug is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dugbug Find more posts by dugbug Add dugbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugbug

Dumb question: will existing lifetime subscriber tivos suddenly get the "real, not a trial" HMO software?

My tivo is shipped out for repairs so I don't know what the menu or message center is showing.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddD is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddD Find more posts by ToddD Add ToddD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddD

I'm having trouble understanding why people are having so much trouble with the Directv sale of assets. There have very ambitious plans to grow the core business...,TV and it would only seem to me to make sense that one would get the cash out of the non core things and put it into the growth plans that have been laid out....don't see any other tea leaves here!

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

quote:
Originally posted by sublime
Yeah, I'm pretty sure DirectTV sold all of their core assets (XM, Hughes, and TiVo) because TiVo didn't give them HMO. Makes perfect sense.

Actually I think it was the other way around. DirecTV doesn't want to add HMO. Under the current contract, directv currently does all of the support for directivos. They also pay for each software update. This is why they can charge $5 per account not $12.95 per unit (well now $6.95 for each additional unit ).

As much as I didn't want to believe that directv would decide to sway away from tivo, and release an NDS box, it looks like that's the way things are shaping up.

FWIH Rupert didn't want to pay tivo royalties for sky+ dvr's, so he went w/ an NDS solution. Why would he do any differently with directv? It really looks like Rupert came into the company and decided it was a mess. He is cutting the dead weight and focusing on the core buisness, which is a good thing. However, I will not be suprised that if in the process tivo and directv eventually part ways.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222

That is incorrect unless they have chaned it recently.
I can't verify right now though as tco is down:

Our apologies. This page is currently unavailable due to maintenance. For activation or account issues, please call TiVo Customer Support toll-free at 1-877-367-8486, between 8am and 8pm Pacific.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We expect to restore this page at 9:00AM Pacific.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:09 PM
skaeight

quote:
That is incorrect unless they have chaned it recently.
I can't verify right now though as tco is down:

Our apologies. This page is currently unavailable due to maintenance. For activation or account issues, please call TiVo Customer Support toll-free at 1-877-367-8486, between 8am and 8pm Pacific.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We expect to restore this page at 9:00AM Pacific.

Hmmmm, I wonder if they're revamping the interface or anything.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:14 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by ToddD
I'm having trouble understanding why people are having so much trouble with the Directv sale of assets. There have very ambitious plans to grow the core business...,TV and it would only seem to me to make sense that one would get the cash out of the non core things and put it into the growth plans that have been laid out....don't see any other tea leaves here!

agreed the sale of the stock was to grow a warchest for soemthing DirectTV wants to do. Growing their core strength of TV is the approach Rupert would take.

I am only saying the DirectTv guy leaving TiVo board , may be because TiVo is going to put emphasis on SA features and their is nothing in that for DirectTV so he left the board. Nothing Huffy or mean spirited about it, he just had no interest in what TiVo was doing next and his time is better spent growing the TV core of his company and keeping Rupert happy.

I am sure TiVo will happily continue to make/support inexpensive DirectTiVo units as long as DirectTV will sell em. I do not forsee a more full featured DirectTiVo unit though as TiVo will want more royalty on something like that and DirectTV will not pay more. hence NDS is their ace in the hole to keep getting an inexpensive DVR unit. What cable Company has ever wanted to rent/sell/support high end electronic gear ??

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by skaeight
Hmmmm, I wonder if they're revamping the interface or anything.

My thoughts exactly...

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sublime is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sublime Visit sublime's homepage! Find more posts by sublime Add sublime to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sublime
Cynic.

quote:
Originally posted by skaeight
[B]Actually I think it was the other way around. DirecTV doesn't want to add HMO.

Notice I made an edit (before your post even). What's so hard for you, and others, to comprehend about DirecTV selling off ALL of their non-core assets, not just TiVo? TiVo's current contract with DTV runs through 2007 as it is.

Anyway, back to your prognosticating of doom and gloom. Enjoy.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gerbil42 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gerbil42 Find more posts by gerbil42 Add gerbil42 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gerbil42

quote:
But tco is inferior to MyReplay.com as it doens't let you manage recordings or see the channels you subscribe to. The only thing tco does is search through a database of all programs on all channels. Then you have to pick the right one for your recorder and hope for the best.

99.9% sure the other posters on this subject are correct. It only shows channels you've told it you receive through the on-screen setup. This is why every once in a while, after my home internet has been out for a while and my tivos haven't connected to the service, I've gotten the message "Unable to determine channel lineup for TiVo XXXX" or something similar.

"You need to replace the Captain of your brain-ship, because he's drunk at the wheel." - Dr. Cox, Scrubs

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:26 PM
skaeight

quote:
Notice I made an edit (before your post even). What's so hard for you, and others, to comprehend about DirecTV selling off ALL of their non-core assets, not just TiVo? TiVo's current contract with DTV runs through 2007 as it is.

I actually agree with you. However, I also find it a little bit odd that Directv had an executive resign from the tivo board, directv dumps it's stock, and then tivo makes this announcement all within 24 hours of each other.

I don't think it's a coincidence. It just looks like the visions of the two companies are going in separate direction. I completely agree that directivos will be supported for a long time to come, just look at Ultimate TV. However I don't see directv really adding any new features to their tivo offerings. Proof can be found here:

http://news.com.com/TiVo+sets+sight...ml?tag=nefd.top

quote:
TiVo said no changes are planned for the price or features offered with DirecTV TiVo boxes.

I'm not trying to doom and gloom, I'm just trying to connect the dots here.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:27 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:

no, this is not prognostications of doom and gloom. the announcements of actual products on the way for SA TiVos will finally getting TiVo moving in a direction it should have all along - sell more of its own boxes (be it them or HUMAX or whomever) and get more ot their own subscriptions.

they were smart to put these announcements out and finally get off their old business model of waiting for some other company to sell tiVo software and subscrips.

Did DirectTV say they were cutting them loose and this prompted TiVo to make the announcements or did TiVo plan these products and DirectTV wanted no part of it and thus no more interest in being on the board.

I do not know for sure but I am looking at it positively and saying with the new SA innovative features of internet download coupled with a less expensive option to use SAs - who needs DirectTV as a partner anyway
see how well they do selling some "TiVo-like" junk DVR. DirectTiVos will be around a long time whether DirectTV likes it or not.

but SAs will be TiVos way to control its own destiny

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged