TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Wired Connection not detecting Server <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bonkers184 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonkers184 Find more posts by bonkers184 Add bonkers184 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonkers184

Angry Wired Connection not detecting Server

ok... so I connected my USB adapter to my router, and I'm able to access tivo central and my network connection is enabled, but i can't access my server on my laptop.. HELP!!! i try to access Music and Photos and all i get is type in isp manually, although i see Best Buy Music and that Nikon advertisment.. I'm able to sign onto tivo managment and schedule shows, so i know it's not the connection...My isp address is set to automatic and i'm using yahoo dsl. Is there a firewall on my laptop that is preventing my tivo to access it?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dahacker Find more posts by dahacker Add dahacker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dahacker

There really isn't any easy way for us to tell based on the information you provided if you have a firewall active on your laptop.

Please start troubleshooting here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv2017.htm

You should also mention your OS in any questions, to help people responding to your questions.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 06:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

Re: Wired Connection not detecting Server

quote:
Originally posted by bonkers184
ok... so I connected my USB adapter to my router, and I'm able to access tivo central and my network connection is enabled, but i can't access my server on my laptop.. HELP!!! i try to access Music and Photos and all i get is type in isp manually, although i see Best Buy Music and that Nikon advertisment.. I'm able to sign onto tivo managment and schedule shows, so i know it's not the connection...My isp address is set to automatic and i'm using yahoo dsl. Is there a firewall on my laptop that is preventing my tivo to access it?

One item that might help is to let us know what IP address your TiVo is assigned. It's in the system information screen.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

If you have a firewall on the laptop, try diabling it. Thats what is preventing me from really using free HMO at the moment. Norton, Zonealarm, any others can stop TiVo from accessing the PC because it is an unknown "threat".

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newted Find more posts by newted Add newted to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newted

i have totaly shut down all firewalls, Norton and Macafy and i was on the phone with Tivo yesturday for 2 hours trying to get my setup config for my server, no beacon, timely errors, uninstalled tivo desktop and re-installed it 5 times............ i am hard wired to my tivo from my router, Linksys, and usb 2.0 which is model 200m........ can't find beacon, my tivo is comunicating with highspeed....... but not my desktop.........

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newted Find more posts by newted Add newted to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newted

ip addressis: 192.168.1.102

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dahacker Find more posts by dahacker Add dahacker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dahacker

Can you ping the Tivo from your computer?
What is the IP address and netmask of the computer and your TIVO?
What is your router manuf. and model number?
Is your router firmware up to date?
Can you laptop communicate with any other computer on the router?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:46 AM
newted

no lap top, my desktop, where would i find the ip address on my pc, netmask on pc? on the tivo was automatic....... yes firware is up to date.

linksys cable/dsl router 4 port BEFSR41, LINKSYS ADAPTER USB 2.0 MODEL 200M, Talks back and forth to through the highspeed toschedual.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:46 AM
newted

nope not pinging..........

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 10:35 AM
dahacker

Bring up a cmd.exe terminal on your PC.

do a ipconfig /all

and show us the results.

Then do a route print

and show us the results.

Then do a tracert to your Tivo IP address

and show us the results.

You still haven't told us the OS of your desktop, nor the netmask of the Tivo.

Personally I still think you have a firewall running. The only other answer would be a routing problem, which the above diagnostics would go a long way in ruling that out.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 08:32 PM
newted

MY os IS XP, How do i find the netmask without reseting the tivo...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 08:34 PM
newted

also how do i bring up a cmd.exe on the terminal?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

did you shut down xp's built-in firewall?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 11:18 PM
newted

as far as i know i did....... how can i tell?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 11:58 PM
dahacker

I give up. Try and find a friend that understands networking. They should have you straightened out and working in a few seconds.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 12:02 AM
newted

we will get it.......... don't give up.....

i have xp how do i get into camand.exe?

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 12:52 AM
newted

i have it..........
ethernet local area 3 connection motorola surfboard sb4220 usb cable.

modem physical address: 00.08.0E.E8.A1.21
Dhcp enabled: YES
Auto config enabled: YES
Auto config address: 169.254.171.68
Subnet MASK: 255.255.0.0
Default GATEWAY:

PPP address: <D054A1EC-FDB1-4B90-8611-0200238EFA19>
connection-specific DNS
SUFFIX:
Description:wan<PPP/SLP>
interface
physical address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp enabled: no
IP Adress: 172.170.219.195
Subnet MASK 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway:
DNS SERVERS: 205.188.146.146
NET BIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

thats it.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 01:39 AM
dahacker

You have the computer hooked directly up to the cable modem. There is no route from your computer to the Tivo on the other side of the router.

Are you sure the USB port and the Ethernet port on the cable modem can even be active at the same time? Are you sure your Tivo isn't still using the phone line?

I would recommend hooking up your computer to the router via Ethernet and ditching the USB interface to your cable modem. After you do that, everything will work.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 05:15 AM
newted

ok, i disconected my usb cable, did the cmd.exe this is what i got.........

Ethernet adapter Local area connection:

Connection_specific DNS Suffix: ce1.client2-attbi.com
Description : CNet PRo200WL PCI Fast Thernet Adapter
Physical Address : 00-08-A1-0D-A0-36
Dhcp Enabled: YES
Autoconfiguration Enabled: YES
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 63.240.76.19

ppp adapter <D054A1EC-FDB1-4B90-8611-0200-238EFA19>
connection specific DNS suffix
Description : WAN<PPP/SLIP?>
INTERFACE PHYSICAL ADDRESS 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled: NO
IP Address: 172.150.32.245
Subnet Mask :255.255.255.255
Default Gateway
DNS Servers :205.188.146.146

i uninstalled and reinstalled the tivo desktop...still no server beacon, or config box for tivo, no tivo in the task bar...

Last edited by newted on 06-15-2004 at 09:03 AM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 08:20 AM
dahacker

quote:
Originally posted by newted
i uninstalled and reinstalled the tivo desktop...still no server beacon, or config box for tivo, no tivo in the task bar...

You should be able to ping your tivo now. Troubleshooting your desktop is all covered by a link in the second post on this thread.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged