TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Dramatic speed increase from drive replacement <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
iankb is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

Smile Dramatic speed increase from drive replacement

I've just replaced my failing 80GB 2MB-cache 5400rpm Seagate A-drive by an 80GB 8MB-cache 7200rpm Western Digital drive. The performance increase on the menus is staggering. From taking several seconds to go into menus, programme details, etc, it now goes in more or less instantly.

The drives contained exactly the same programs, database, fragmentation, etc, since one was a direct dd image copy of the other. The old drive had one small surface fault, and no SMART errors, so I don't think that was slowing down the old drive. I don't see much point in getting a cachecard now. Is this why some people think that getting a cachecard didn't speed anything up?

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

popabawa is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for popabawa Find more posts by popabawa Add popabawa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
popabawa

I noticed a HUGE speed improvement when changing my original 40gb drive with a 120gb drive.

At first, I thought it was because theer was nothing on it but now it's 90%+ full, it's just as zippy.

It's nice, but confusing! I was convinced a larger drive would slow things down.

Iain

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, as posted on another thread, my TiVo has now failed, probably due to a faulty PSU. But the speed increase was amazing; until it failed.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbriody is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbriody Find more posts by mbriody Add mbriody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbriody

Sorry to hear about your TiVo

Both my TiVo's have replacement 120Gb, 8Mb cache, 7200 WD's so maybe that's why the cachecard had little effect for me.

I removed the RAM over a week ago and I honestly notice zero difference.

TiVo #1: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (subscribed) + CacheCard (0Mb RAM)
TiVo #2: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (FTA) + TurboNet

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

The new larger drive is likely to have a bigger cache than the original (I can't remember if those had one at all) also I would expect it to store more data per cylinder and therefore have a higher throughput for the same rotation speed (higher if you got a 7200RPM drive)

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged