TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO stops when ISP is down <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
funkyjunkman is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for funkyjunkman Find more posts by funkyjunkman Add funkyjunkman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
funkyjunkman

HMO stops when ISP is down

I just found something very problematic with the Tivo HMO package.

My ISP went down for a few hours yesterday, and during the outage my Tivo could only barely and occasionally connect to my local Tivo Desktop server. I like to listen to music through my Tivo while I'm working, and it was quite the disappointment to realize that when my Internet/TV Cable connection went down I couldn't really listen to music anymore either.

My setup is a Toshiba cable modem to my D-Link DI-624 WAN port. My G4 is connected via Ethernet and static IP. My Tivo is connected via wireless D-Link DWL-122/RE and dynamic DHCP IP. My D-Link firmware is 1.25 (current) and Tivo s/w version is 4.0.1b-02-2-230.

I just double checked this today by disconnecting my cable modem from the D-Link WAN port. Any time the WAN port is disconnected the Music & Pictures page stalls out.

Does the Tivo require DNS servers to be online in order for HMO to work? Obviously if the cable modem is disconnected the network served by the D-Link still functions. I can transfer files between my laptop and tower machines while the cable modem is disconnected.

This seems like a pretty big flaw in the HMO service that I would love to see fixed in the next revision of Tivo software.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Onibroc42 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Onibroc42 Find more posts by Onibroc42 Add Onibroc42 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Onibroc42
Oh, him again...

If it DNS, then the solution is simple - install DNS on your mac.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

funkyjunkman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for funkyjunkman Find more posts by funkyjunkman Add funkyjunkman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
funkyjunkman

not a useful suggestion

OK. So you are suggesting that if HMO is flawed by an irrational dependence on a DNS server to see the servers available on the local network, I should find/download/build/install/configure/run a DNS server to solve the problem?

All I wanted to do is find out if this is a persistent problem among other users and if so use the information to alert Tivo to the bug in their software.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

AFIK -- The Home Media Features for Music and Photos do NOT require DNS for them to work. With a Mac running TiVo Desktop, it uses Apple's Rendezvous technology to discover and connect to the machine running TiVo Desktop.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

funkyjunkman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 03:12 AM
funkyjunkman

my point exactly

I agree. As far as I know there shouldn't be a dependence on any public DNS server for local HMO service. Tivo uses what Apple calls rendezvous, which is an open standard also known as zero-conf to discover HMO services. more info

But... when the ISP is disconnected from my router, even when I can get into my music (for example) the pages load extremely slowly and there is a multi-second pause after every song plays while it tries to pre-buffer the next song through the network.

Any chance someone else can try temporarily unplugging their WAN connection at the router to prove that this is a reproducible problem? TIA!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: my point exactly

quote:
Originally posted by funkyjunkman
I agree. As far as I know there shouldn't be a dependence on any public DNS server for local HMO service. Tivo uses what Apple calls rendezvous, which is an open standard also known as zero-conf to discover HMO services. more info

But... when the ISP is disconnected from my router, even when I can get into my music (for example) the pages load extremely slowly and there is a multi-second pause after every song plays while it tries to pre-buffer the next song through the network.

Any chance someone else can try temporarily unplugging their WAN connection at the router to prove that this is a reproducible problem? TIA!

DNS is definitely not required. Many customers actually have their TiVo and PC connected without a broadband connection at all. I'd suspect that the issue may lie with your router (perhaps it keeps checking for the Internet connection to return and is slowing down for that reason)?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

funkyjunkman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 06:39 AM
funkyjunkman

not the gateway

Just tested this again with configuration mentioned earlier.

Tivo on wireless network.
G4 laptop on wireless network.
G4 tower, running Tivo Desktop, on ethernet network.
All connected to the same D-Link router.

With file sharing running on the G4 tower, I can start a copy from the G4 tower to the G4 laptop wirelessly and it runs at 'full speed'. Tivo continues to play music and work. Unplug the cable modem from the 'WAN' port at the router. Tivo stalls out. Trying to get to Music & Photos page on Tivo gets the informational 'first-use' page, giving an option to enter a manual IP. (the manual IP has already been entered) G4 laptop/tower file transfer completes at 'full speed'. Try another G4 to G4 transfer with expected results, Tivo still down. Plug in 'WAN' port. Tivo starts to work again. G4's appear unaffected.

So no, I don't think the gateway at the router (192.168.0.1 in my case) is getting bogged in some strange way.

Any other ideas out there?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged