TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Voom & Dtv HD Tivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
borgslayer is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for borgslayer Find more posts by borgslayer Add borgslayer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borgslayer

Voom & Dtv HD Tivo

I subscribe to DTV currently with Hd package. Have antenna in attic, using and loving HD TIVO.

Is it possible to use Voom in addittion to what I have? I know it won't work with the Tivo. but could I use Voom on a different Tv input? I have two componet inputs already in use on the TV, is there a componet switching device?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crash_Corrigan is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crash_Corrigan Find more posts by Crash_Corrigan Add Crash_Corrigan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crash_Corrigan

If your TV doesn't have any other HD input such as DVI or HDMI, you'll need a component switcher to add a 3rd component connection, if your TVs two component inputs are already in use.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randym431 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randym431 Find more posts by randym431 Add randym431 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randym431
Advanced Member

I just got voom this week and its a nice addition to D*. I wouldnt drop D* (unless voom adds locals), but its nice to have so many hd channels. Even without a dvr, voom is addictive. Its nice to change channels and so many are in hd. Its like it should be. Hopefully voom will have a hd recorder sometime soon. I think it'd be great if D* bought/merged with voom. What a combo.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff Kent is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Kent Find more posts by Jeff Kent Add Jeff Kent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Kent

Voom Question

I agree... too bad they don't have a recording device. Personallly, I can't watch 'normal TV' after so many years of being a PVR user. Anyway, my question is this: I read a review in a magazine on 'Voom' and the reviewer said that 'it takes a full 7 seconds to change channels' on that receiver!! If that's true it seems like it would be a 'nightmare' to channel surf. I remember way back in the 'old days' when DirecTV just came out. They had 1-bit receivers and it seemed soooo slow to change the channels. They were about 4 seconds to change channels as I recall. I can't imagine '7 SECONDS!!!' What's your experience like? Thanks for any info you can give.

Jeff

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff Kent is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Kent Find more posts by Jeff Kent Add Jeff Kent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Kent

Correction

Sorry, typo - I meant 16-bit receivers...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv
TiVo Forum Special Member

Jeff Kent,

The 7-second channel changing was resolved a long time ago -- back in late March, I believe. VOOM HD receivers now change HDTV channels as fast or faster than DirecTV HD receivers -- between 1.5 and 2.0 seconds.

The VOOM STB software does have some issues, but most of these should be addressed with the software slated for delivery on or about July 1. Confirmed changes in the new software include:

1. Channel maps for both primary and secondary markets, with off-air scanning to list any additional channels not mapped. More info right here.

2. Ability to hide certain channels from the guide, without relying on the favorites list.

3. Moves to currently selected channel whenever displaying guide.

This will address the primary complaint with the current VOOM STB software. With the current software, it sticks you back at 100 whenever you bring up the guide -- annoying as hell.

4. Eliminates loss of audio that can occur in certain situations (typically, fast channel surfing).

5. Eliminates stuttering that some people notice on off-air and satellite channels.

6. Eliminates program planner incompatibility with PlayboyHD.

7. Various other minor aesthetic and usability improvements.
Unconfirmed, but I hear the buttons at the top of the remote (red, green, yellow) may now bring up the guide for those channels (all exclusives, all channels showing HD, all favorites) on a single button press. There are probably other changes, we just don't know what they are yet. We probably still have another week to wait.

Last edited by bkdtv on 06-25-2004 at 10:46 PM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randym431 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randym431 Find more posts by randym431 Add randym431 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randym431
Advanced Member

No delay in channel changing, that I have noticed. Probably faster than D* (not really an issue or concern). Their remote is pretty simple, not as simple as tivo's, but not over whelming either. I guess the screen layout, when in menu or guides, reminds me more of ultimate tv's look. I do like the tivo guide look better. These across the screen bar guides are too messy to scroll across to see whats upcoming. Tivo certainly has that down pat with their guide.
So far, I donít really miss not having a dvr with voom. With 10 movie channels (and that doesnít include hboHD, starzHD, maxHD or shoHD), theres always something in movies to watch. I like the old movie Spirit of St Louis, with Jimmy Stewart. It was on this morning and looked outstanding in HD. I've seen this movie many times, but this time it was eye candy 100%. I got voom because of their promo going on, and I had thought I'd probably just keep it a few months, but no more. I can see its a must for anyone with a HD tv. Even the cartoon channel Animania is just so addicting to watch because of the HD quality, and I'm not really a cartoon watching fan either. So far I think D* and voom are a nice combo, but I predict voom will give D* and dish a run for their money. Voom's gearing towards so much HD programming will pay off in the long run. I donít think D* or dish are even able to change direction that fast to head off vooms competition, that will come. And if voom gets a dvr and locals, look out!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ken7 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ken7 Find more posts by Ken7 Add Ken7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ken7

Yes, Voom channel changes are indeed quicker than any D* receiver I've ever used. Additionally the guide is lightning fast, especially when compared to the HD Tivo. Once they get their HD PVR with whole house HD networking, they will be THE killer HD app.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged