TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Problems with IR Controller in my DirecTivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdwhynot is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rdwhynot Find more posts by rdwhynot Add rdwhynot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdwhynot

Problems with IR Controller in my DirecTivo

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer...

I seem to be having a problem with the IR controller in my Hughes DirectTivo.

I have a universal remote and neither it nor the TIVO remote will work consistently with my unit. I get about 1 click out of the remote every 5 minutes or so.

I have added an additional hard drive to my unit so I voided my warranty, but DirecTV wasn't any help anyway... He wanted to send me a new remote... I tried to explain that I had already tried two remotes with fresh batteries to no avail.

Is there anyone that sells replacement parts for the Hughes units? Or has anyone experienced anything like this.

Thanks in advance

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

The usual cause of this problem is interference from another remote ("stuck under the couch" is a popular choice) or from compact flourescent lamps, many of which will interfere with IR remotes.

I doubt that it is a hardware problem. Can you shield the IR sensor from other light in the room and see if the remote works well with it?

Another thing to try is power-cycling the TiVo (though if you called DirecTV, that's the standard thing they tell you to try no matter WHAT the symptom is.)

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

I'm with stevel, that sounds like IR interference. Get a good thick winter blanket, fold it over a couple times and drape it over the front of the TiVo to block incoming IR. Try holding your remotes inside this "tent" and see if they work any better. If they do, look for the DVD, VCR or stereo (or ceiling fan, etc) remote squashed under a book or the couch cushions. Weak batteries can make other remotes act funky also, you could try shutting them all up in a drawer and fishing out one at a time to test if it's the culprit.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged