TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> I really hate “Save to VCR” <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alert5 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alert5 Find more posts by alert5 Add alert5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alert5

gsslug you are correct. There is the risk that the software will change channels on your box and your hoped for capture is messed up. This is why I really find live recording the more useful option for stuff I know in advance I want to keep long term on DVD-R. This is the only way I know of to avoid "Save to VCR" and even then its not foolproof. You are still at risk if you forget that the DVD recorder is capturing and pause a show or surf to another channel for a bit. The DVD recorder is going to capture all that stuff.

Bottom line is you must use "Save to VCR" to be sure the DVD recorder copy is what you really want. There is no workaround for this.

Waiting for next generation HR10-250

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoyahoo Find more posts by tivoyahoo Add tivoyahoo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoyahoo

quote:
Originally posted by alert5
Bottom line is you must use "Save to VCR" to be sure the DVD recorder copy is what you really want. There is no workaround for this.

There is a workaround to make sure what you want is on the active tuner.

quote:
Originally posted by overzeetop
To force a recorded program to be on the active (RF/display) tuner, a second program must already be recording. A 1 minute start "pad" will do the trick.

There was a thread on this with the details on why this works here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...168#post1376168

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alert5 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alert5 Find more posts by alert5 Add alert5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alert5

To force a recorded program to be on the active (RF/display) tuner, a second program must already be recording. A 1 minute start "pad" will do the trick.

Nice find! Next time I set up a direct, live DVD recorder capture I'll try this.

Thanks

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoyahoo Find more posts by tivoyahoo Add tivoyahoo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoyahoo

you could actually batch recordings to the hard drive by coordinating the E80 timer with multiple tivo recordings, just make sure each of those tivo recordings has a concurrent recording starting 1 minute earlier. That way you can capture multiple programs from multiple channels automatically to your E80 hard drive. the only manual part is scheduling the concurrent recording so that it takes up tuner 2 for the duration. If you schedule batch captures at off hours it should work alright. Are you capturing mostly movies from the channel 500's as opposed to content that you edit out the commercials with on the E80 hard drive?

With this technique you may need to upgrade the hard drive of the E80 for more movies. Anybody know how to do this?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alert5 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:35 AM
alert5

tivoyahoo, this just gets better all the time. I'm going to test this batch method.

You are right, I expect a lot of our recordings will be for archival purposes and will include mostly HBO stuff. With only 80 GB to play with I realize there is a need to burn to DVD pretty quick to free up space. My understanding is the E80H would require a firmware fix to allow a bigger drive and that is not likely to happen.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:50 AM
tivoyahoo

alert5, let us know how the batching goes and the easiest way to schedule the concurrent recording earlier than your desired capture recording.

Rather than setting up the tuner 2 recording manually to start just earlier and coincide, you could use Headline News on Channel 204 for long recording blocks. They consistently have 3 & 8 hour duration programs. You'll also find 15 hour duration programs on 227. Those will certainly tie up tuner 2 for good stretches, just have the recordings expire right away (or manually delete). If you find some better channels/programming to tie up tuner 2 especially for the early AM hours be sure to post and let us know the best method.

also, thanks for the heads up on the E80 firmware. Guess I can't let the recordings stack up on a big drive.

Since Panasonic is getting some play in this thread, anybody have a list of DVD players (other than Panasonic models) that play the DVD-RAM format? I think I have only seen recorders that play the -RAMs. One recorder by Samsung which was a panasonic clone (think it was the R4000 ~ E50) and a Toshiba recorder with hard drive which I believe supported + as well. But I don't need a recorder, just a player, maybe 2 players.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive 5 disc (or more) player that supports -RAM? Preferrably one that plays all the +/- formats including -RAM. Don't the panasonic players not support + playback?

Or is everybody with the Panasonic just using -R and not rewriting discs?

Are there any good threads on this board that discuss the Panasonic hard drive recorders in combination use with tivo? I saw the E80 on clearance for $299 and couldn't resist buying it recently, but I haven't learned the best strategy, tips, & techniques for using it best in conjunction with tivo. Any good links would be appreciated.

Thanks.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by tivoyahoo

Are there any good threads on this board that discuss the Panasonic hard drive recorders in combination use with tivo? I saw the E80 on clearance for $299 and couldn't resist buying it recently, but I haven't learned the best strategy, tips, & techniques for using it best in conjunction with tivo. Any good links would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...php?forumid=106

great for recorders

also I love RAM. I have 50-60 that I have filled with stuff that needs to be edited or just with stuff tivo ran out of room for. Then burn the series I like to -R for permanent storage once I get the episodes all line up.

Also I'd never buy a recorder without a HD.

I'm jealous you got e80 for 299, I paid 538 new but of course I had it for almost a year before you LOL.

I like to set it to record from tivo before I go to bed. Also sometimes things like star trek/stargate are run in a 5 hour block and it's great to record that block to E80 then divide and edit.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:51 AM
tivoyahoo

newsposter, thanks for the link. I'd looked on avsforum before and was overwhelmed with the amount of info even on just the E80. I've made a small dent in the amount of reading there thus far.

I was hoping to get some more tivo-centric user feedback related to the E80/85/120 on this forum, like a workaround for making sure the active tuner was feeding to the Panasonic without interruption as I posted in this thread. More Tivo/Panasonic recorder related tricks like that would be good.

Also, I'd like RAM more if I could play it in something else as well (besides the E80). It seems like finding an inexpensive player (or any player) that plays back both RAM and + formats is difficult. Anybody know if xbox reads RAM? I think xbox uses samsung dvd drives.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:35 PM
tivoyahoo

I was going to mention the channel 581/582 service downloads could throw your automated recordings off, but I think those always default to tuner 2 however. There is a thread of "tivo changing channel at night" that discusses the early AM activity of the tivo:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=181902

Keeping both tuners busy with scheduled recordings takes priority. Just something to be aware of.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

What's a VCR?

And just add a hard drive if you need more space. Or use the video extraction techniques to put in on your computer, and then feed one of the many video media players over your network.

Why record anything to DVD? That's just something else to get lost/never use again.

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

Click to see my useless thoughts...
DirecTV + Tivo is better than Cable, you're wrong if you don't agree.
People I won't do business with ever again: 1) Value Electronics

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by AbMagFab
What's a VCR?

And just add a hard drive if you need more space. Or use the video extraction techniques to put in on your computer, and then feed one of the many video media players over your network.

Why record anything to DVD? That's just something else to get lost/never use again.

I can almost guarantee you that a dvd will outlive any hard drive. I had 3 crashes in tivo in 2 years so if I hadn't offloaded to my dvd burner and recorded my 3 series, I would have been really upset. Plus I don't know of any tivo that will keep a few hundred episodes reliably anyway.

As far as putting stuff on computer, some people don't have networks and don't want to bother with extraction.

So that's the reason some people record to dvd...hope you've been enlightened.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged