TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Samsung SIR-S4120R slow and unresponsive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alan is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alan Find more posts by alan Add alan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alan
Advanced Member

Samsung SIR-S4120R slow and unresponsive

Does anyone else with a Samsung SIR-S4120R DirecTiVo have problems with the menu slowness and unresponsiveness at times?

The two problems I've seen are:

1) Getting the "Now Playing List" to show often takes 45 seconds to one minute.

2) Occasionally, the unit appears to be unresponsive to the remote, but what eventually happens is that all the remote buttons that were pushed (in a futile attempt to get something out of the unit) are all queued up and when the S4120R starts processing them, it seems to process each one. It can be really annoying.

Anyone else see this behavior?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

Yes. You don't want to hear this, but I think this is considered "normal" behavior.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for innocentfreak Find more posts by innocentfreak Add innocentfreak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
innocentfreak

Now is this on any 100 hour unit and just due to the size of the hard drive or is this limited to the Samsung?

My DVD Collection

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rudiger is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rudiger Find more posts by rudiger Add rudiger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudiger

A guy at work has that exact same model and he was telling me that he was having problems similiar to yours. He told me he did a Clear and Delete but that did not help.

I suspected that the problem might be his hard drive, so he let me borrow it so I could run some tests. His DTivo had a 120 GB Western Digital hd so I downloaded hd diagnostic software from the WD site. The hd failed half the tests.

I had him buy a 120 GB Western Digital w/8MB cache from Fry's and using MFSTools, I restored a Samsung DTivo image (which I got from another friend) to it. I did a Clear and Delete afterwards.

The guy at work is very happy now.

BTW the manufactured date of the original DTivo drive was August 2003. I tried to get WD to replace it but apparently they do not replace drives originally sold to a third party, Samsung.

HTH,

rudiger

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duststorm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duststorm Find more posts by duststorm Add duststorm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duststorm

i have the same model and had a 120gb wd hd in it but is now out being used as a back up, current drive is a 160gb maxtor and both drives caused the now playing list to come up in under 15 sec. but neither was ever more then half full.i do delete the thumbs list once a week.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged