TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> A major dilemma... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hkiss96 Find more posts by hkiss96 Add hkiss96 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hkiss96

A major dilemma...

I know this isn't exactly the right place to post this, but I have a dilemma. I'm moving and going to be again getting DTV service. At my prior place, my roommate had the DTV tivo, and it was wonderful, and I am contemplating getting one again. However, the current deal tivo has going, 99 for a refurbished one, less a fifty dollar rebate, means that I could get two series two tivos for $100. Now I know all about the two built in receivers, but this way I could have tivo in two rooms, etc. So, how does this idea sound and what if any, negatives do you guys foresee? Thanks, Doug

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunnar007 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gunnar007 Find more posts by gunnar007 Add gunnar007 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunnar007

Directv also has a deal for a NEW TiVo for $99! I got that deal a few months ago and received a Philips 704 and I'm in bliss. To me it's a no brainer.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hkiss96 Find more posts by hkiss96 Add hkiss96 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hkiss96

However, from what I can tell, the standard Direct TV Tivos are series one not series 2...Ones can be had that are series two, but they are more...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

I got 3 brand new Hughes SD-DVR40 Series 2 DirectTivo's from www.solidsignal.com for only $49 each. They also had Samsung and Philips for $19 each and RCA for $39 each. They came with free installation and a triple LNB dish for 19.99

Just go to their web page and click on "Build Your Own Custom DIRECTV System" and you can setup whatever combination of receivers you want from there. The non-Tivo receivers are on top of the page, scroll down for the DirectTivo choices.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:36 AM
hkiss96

Yes that would be an option, but there was other info I forgot to mention. I'm going to try to get the 99$ hd deal, so I think I need to go directly through DTV, as opposed to a third party...Again, I could be wrong...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

quote:
Originally posted by hkiss96
Yes that would be an option, but there was other info I forgot to mention. I'm going to try to get the 99$ hd deal, so I think I need to go directly through DTV, as opposed to a third party...Again, I could be wrong...

From what I've heard, you can only get that if you've been a customer of DirectTV for at least 2 years. And even then, not everybody is getting it.

Also, only their "customer retention" department can give that. If you personall are not a current customer, you probably would never even get them to connect you to the customer retention department.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:21 AM
hkiss96

I've been a customer for about eight, so I think that's covered...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

quote:
Originally posted by cktb2793
I got 3 brand new Hughes SD-DVR40 Series 2 DirectTivo's from www.solidsignal.com for only $49 each. They also had Samsung and Philips for $19 each and RCA for $39 each. They came with free installation and a triple LNB dish for 19.99

Just go to their web page and click on "Build Your Own Custom DIRECTV System" and you can setup whatever combination of receivers you want from there. The non-Tivo receivers are on top of the page, scroll down for the DirectTivo choices.

WOW! That's by far the best deals I have seen anywhere. I could have gotten my equipment for $150 that cost over $300 6-8 weeks ago...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:50 PM
cktb2793

quote:
I've been a customer for about eight, so I think that's covered...

OH, ok.....when you said your last roommate was the one with the DirectTivo, I thought that meant he was the one who had the account.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

diggerg56 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for diggerg56 Find more posts by diggerg56 Add diggerg56 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

quote:
Originally posted by cktb2793
From what I've heard, you can only get that if you've been a customer of DirectTV for at least 2 years. And even then, not everybody is getting it.

Also, only their "customer retention" department can give that. If you personall are not a current customer, you probably would never even get them to connect you to the customer retention department.

Not sure if they will talk to you or not without a previous referral from another CSR but Customer retention # is 800-824-9081

Directv D10
Zinwell Multiswitch

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
However, from what I can tell, the standard Direct TV Tivos are series one not series 2...Ones can be had that are series two, but they are more...

DirecTV only ships series 2 DirecTiVo. Series 1 machines are very hard to come by.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:56 AM
hkiss96

Well, I've gone and done it. Sony T-60 DTV Tivo with a lifetime membership on EBAY for 200. Hopefully it works out, but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk

Lifetime service is with the DirecTV account and not the unit. The seller must cancel his DirecTV account and transfer the lifetime to you. The only real reason to get a Series 1 machine is for hacking and the TiVoCache card.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:04 AM
rminsk

I just looked at what you purchased on ebay and it is a hacked unit. It is running 2.5.2 with phione calls disabled. Do not expect software upgrades or anything. It is not a "legal" unit.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:41 AM
hkiss96

Ok, didn't know that was an issue. But now that you've told me, what does that mean? Please explain fully, as I'm trying to deal with the seller, and am ready to call ebay and discuss fraud since he said it was the most recent version of the software, which it obviously isn't. Thanks for the heads up though.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoyahoo is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoyahoo Find more posts by tivoyahoo Add tivoyahoo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoyahoo

It likely has a mod to lifetime subscription that is not legit. it is also modded to never dial in otherwise it would be recognized as an unsubscribed unit. It's not legit because the unit didn't get a paid lifetime sub and it avoids the $4.95 monthly dvr fee. It was modded to avoid both. The most recent software would be 3.1.0b.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:15 AM
hkiss96

Ok so I need to know this. This is the posting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=ADME:B:BN:US:1

from what you guys have said, it seems as though I have been defrauded. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, is it a correct assumption that there is no way to get a lifetime subscription with DTV anymore? Thanks again for the heads up...

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

quote:
Ok so I need to know this. This is the posting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=ADME:B:BN:US:1

from what you guys have said, it seems as though I have been defrauded. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, is it a correct assumption that there is no way to get a lifetime subscription with DTV anymore? Thanks again for the heads up...

You're correct in both your statements. This is most definitely a hacked machine. The tipoff is the phrase "modem call-outs shut off," as well as the software only being 2.5.2, yet the seller claiming it is the latest software. DTiVos are running 3.1 now.

It is not possible to get a lifetime subscription with DTV anymore, as they haven't sold them for several years. I suggest you contact the seller and ask him how he's planning on transferring his lifetime subscription to you, as legitimate lifetime DTiVo subscription are tied to a DTV account rather than a specific machine.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 08:29 AM
hkiss96

Well, thanks again. Hopefully I'll be able to work this out quickly and start from square one.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged