TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Router Help <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
walkerism is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walkerism Visit walkerism's homepage! Find more posts by walkerism Add walkerism to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

Router Help

I am using a linksys wireless router version (befw11s4) with comcast cable. I had to plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem to one of the 4 ports on the router instead of the WAN port. Unfortunately, this will not let me get into the linksys router to setup something up. I use to be able to get into with my previous dsl using 192-168-1-1. I think this is preventing my network form seeing my tivo. I am desparate. Oh, my computer is using a wireless access card D-Link AirPlus DWL-520.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Demandred is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

Re: Router Help

quote:
Originally posted by walkerism
I had to plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem to one of the 4 ports on the router instead of the WAN port.

Why?

quote:
I use to be able to get into with my previous dsl using 192-168-1-1.

You should be able to configure the router even if the Cable Modem is disconnected completely.

Most Linksys routers use an IP address of http://192.168.1.1

Try going to that address from a web browser on a machine connected to the router (via cable if you can).

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walkerism is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walkerism Visit walkerism's homepage! Find more posts by walkerism Add walkerism to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

should the ethernet cable form the cable modem work if I plug it into the wan port on the router??? Because it's doesn't when I do that.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
should the ethernet cable form the cable modem work if I plug it into the wan port on the router??? Because it's doesn't when I do that.

Yes, that's the whole point. Does the PC light on the modem light up? You might need a crossover cable.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Demandred is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

Yes in fact I don't think it should work if it's NOT plugged into that port. Still, you should be able to get to the configuration utility no matter what. The config utility's "DHCP Clients Table" will tell you if your TiVo is being seen at all by the router.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walkerism is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:46 PM
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
Yes, that's the whole point. Does the PC light on the modem light up? You might need a crossover cable.

Yes, I can browse only if I plug into one of the 4 ports. When I plug it into the WAN port, I get nothing. SO Should I go out and buy a crossover cable? Will this effect my wireless settings? Thanks for the quick responses.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Yes, I can browse only if I plug into one of the 4 ports. When I plug it into the WAN port, I get nothing. SO Should I go out and buy a crossover cable? Will this effect my wireless settings? Thanks for the quick responses.

Perhaps. The WAN port on most routers though is designed to be able to connect to the modem with a straight cable , so you might be using a crossover cable, and actually need a straight one. Is the cable marked crossover in any way? Crossover cables are also ofton red (but some straight cables are too).

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

Last edited by zaknafein on 06-29-2004 at 11:07 PM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick
TiVo Forum Special Member

1. Disconnect and power off everything.

2. Turn on router.

3. Turn on PC. You should be able to access the router and verify its configuration. Then turn everything back off.

4. Connect router to cable modem with Ethernet cable. Use WAN port on router. Verify that the cable you have is straight through ... if you look carefully, you can see the colors of the individual wires within the end connectors ... the ends should appear identical, NOT a mirror image.

5. Turn on the cable modem. Wait one minute.

6. Turn on the router. Wait one minute. See if the link (or status) light comes up normal.

7. Turn on your PC. Once it is powered up, the wireless connection should soon sync up and you should be able to connect to the Internet.

In the event you have to spoof your MAC address, you may have to change the configuration of the router. Is the wireless a new setup for you? Or did this existing setup stop working all of a sudden?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

landrumdh is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for landrumdh Visit landrumdh's homepage! Find more posts by landrumdh Add landrumdh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
landrumdh
Planning a Roadtrip!

If the modem was every connected to a PC they might have MAC addressing turned on and it will now only work with the MAC or the PC it was connected to originally.

If this is the case you should be able to go into your router settings and tell it to clone the MAC address of the computer you had it connected to.

That or connect the modem to the WAN port then call your cable company and tlel them that your NIC died in your PC and you had to get another one, if they could please reset the filters. It might be an automated process and they'll tell you to wait 24hrs that's what happened to me with Charter when my nic did die before I had a need for a router.

"What is gum, anyway? I looked at the ingredients and the only gum related item I could see was called "gum base." Is that a real thing? Is that the smallest most elemental form of the gum? Or is that like looking at the ingredients for spaghetti and meatballs and seeing "meatballs" listed?" - hefe

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

Is your PC plugged into one of the LAN ports on the back of the router? Or is it plugged into the cable modem? Is your cable modem a modem/router combo unit?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mars Rocket
Is your PC plugged into one of the LAN ports on the back of the router? Or is it plugged into the cable modem? Is your cable modem a modem/router combo unit?

PC is connected via wireless, according to the original post.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

Nevermind.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged