TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> New Suggestions?? I Think So... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TivoJK is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoJK Find more posts by TivoJK Add TivoJK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoJK

Cool New Suggestions?? I Think So...

Hi all. I sent TiVo these suggestions, since I didn't see it mentioned on their site. I also did a quick search here and didn't find it here either. What do you guys think?

1) With the Home Media Option and 2 or more TiVos: When you are programming a TiVo that has conflicts, it should offer the option to complete that programming on another TiVo on the network, so you don't have to program them individually. Or more simply, maybe just an extra option when you're programming that allows you to choose which DVR to record on.

2) With the Home Media Option and 2 or more TiVos: If one TiVo is at capacity, but it is set to record a user-programmed show, it should automatically transfer that programming to another DVR to record (so long as the show doesnít conflict with that DVRís schedule).

3) TiVo is all about user-friendliness, which is great. Is there any way to carry that over to TiVo Central Online? Maybe it would be easier to use if it operated or looked a little like a TiVo menu screen. Also, more features are needed online, such as accessing, creating and searching Wish Lists, checking your To Do list and Now Playing list, and detailed program info (ie. synopsis, episode number, air date, guest cast, etc). *** I know people have posted a little about this one, but there is so much more TiVo should provide, so I decided to mention it.

Thanks for listening,
Jason

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwarner is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 05:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwarner Find more posts by dwarner Add dwarner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwarner

Re: New Suggestions?? I Think So...

quote:
Originally posted by TivoJK
Hi all. I sent TiVo these suggestions, since I didn't see it mentioned on their site. I also did a quick search here and didn't find it here either. What do you guys think?

1) With the Home Media Option and 2 or more TiVos: When you are programming a TiVo that has conflicts, it should offer the option to complete that programming on another TiVo on the network, so you don't have to program them individually. Or more simply, maybe just an extra option when you're programming that allows you to choose which DVR to record on.

2) With the Home Media Option and 2 or more TiVos: If one TiVo is at capacity, but it is set to record a user-programmed show, it should automatically transfer that programming to another DVR to record (so long as the show doesnít conflict with that DVRís schedule).

I just suggested the same thing (again), except that I'd prefer the passing of recording duties to other units be completely transparent. If you added a second (or third) Tivo to the network, they would simply become extra tuners and storage. Perhaps flags might be displayed in Now Showing and To Do, indicating what Tivo will record, or is holding that show.
An option to copy shows back to the primary unit automatically, as space becomes available might be nice, to avoid delays while viewing shows over the network.
(I could use my series 1 in VCR mode for conflict resolution, but it's just too much work. If this feature were available, I'd buy another series 2.)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

There have been numerous threads in the past about cooperative scheduling (having multiple TiVos automatically spreading around recordings to minimize conflicts). The consensus was that, except in a simple master slave setup where one TiVo controls all the rest, this feature is probably a pain to do right.

However pretty much everyone wants it anyway

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeBarbs is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeBarbs Find more posts by JoeBarbs Add JoeBarbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeBarbs

This would be really amazing.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)

-------------------------------------------
Most Wanted Features:
1) USB 2.0 Drivers
2) TiVoToGo

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipradio is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chipradio Find more posts by chipradio Add chipradio to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chipradio

You CAN!

Tivo better get with the program and STOP giving away features alot of us paid for already, and START getting competitive with features.. the feature to get another recorder on the network to pick up a potentially missed recording is out in the market right now.. Nobody here wants to hear this name, but ReplayTV has it.. They are really coming on strong again, and if Tivo isn't going to at least come out with some new features, I have to seriously consider picking up one of the competing units to compare them side by side.. Think about it, we haven't seen a single new feature (other than increased advertisements which don't benefit us, the end user), in over a year now... Heck they STILL haven't gotten support for 802.11g yet.

So what's it going to be, Tivo? it would seem to me where you can already schedule programming via the website, getting one tivo to schedule another on the network should be very very easy to do..

or do I need to buy ReplayTV to get this functionality?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeBarbs is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeBarbs Find more posts by JoeBarbs Add JoeBarbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeBarbs

I am thinking that now that everyone has HMO, that we may start to see a big push in new hmo features. I hope I am right. Could be pretty exciting stuff!

Chipradio, maybe ReplayTV holds a patent on those features. That could be the reason we haven't seen it yet. TiVo might have to sort of recreate the wheel in order to implement some things.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)

-------------------------------------------
Most Wanted Features:
1) USB 2.0 Drivers
2) TiVoToGo

Last edited by JoeBarbs on 06-28-2004 at 02:22 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevetro is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevetro Find more posts by stevetro Add stevetro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevetro

quote:
Originally posted by JoeBarbs
I am thinking that now that everyone has HMO, that we may start to see a big push in new hmo features.

I don't know. Tivo is a service, not software. I'm not sure how improving HMO software will improve their service. In any case, I consider the 1.2 version of HMO to be purely a "proof of concept" release. Yes, I think more exciting stuff is in the works. I'm just wondering how they're going to make that relate back to the "service" aspect of their business model.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Tivo is a combonation of the two. Their buisness model essentiallty makes the function of the Tivo (which is the software itself, plus the guide data) into a service you pay for (part of the fee pays for the software, as the sale price is actually less than the cost of the hardware)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

worenklein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for worenklein Find more posts by worenklein Add worenklein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
worenklein

Re: New Suggestions?? I Think So...

quote:
Originally posted by TivoJK

You can almost do this if you're not afraid of a little virtual elbow grease.

See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=138225

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged