TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Help with TIVO Channel Changing <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sueweber Find more posts by sueweber Add sueweber to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sueweber

Help with TIVO Channel Changing

I'm having problems changing channels in TIVO. When I change a channel from the TIVO remote, I can see it changing the cable box, but then it jumps to the next channel (for example, if I change the TIVO channel to 12, it'll try to change the cable box to 012, but then goes to 011). I can change successfully with the cable remote and it doesn't seem to lag at all - the channel comes in right away. I checked all of my settings (I'm going through the serial port) and everything is in order. This just started today, I've never had this happen until today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sueweber Find more posts by sueweber Add sueweber to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sueweber

also, it's a series 2 Tivo and a Motorola cable box. it worked fine until today.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

Look for your cable box in this thread.
There's a part that starts "However, some people have erratic channel changing behavior using serial" which you should read.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

Last edited by JimSpence on 06-30-2004 at 05:59 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:46 AM
sueweber

It worked fine before today so I don't think that will help....

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

Check out your model of cable box in the link Jim gave, but it could be the cable company just shot down a firmware upgrade down to your cable box, that can cause problems. They may have messed up the serial control support, lots of cable places have been turning it off outright for mysterious reasons (maybe to make you want to buy one of their crummy "DVRs"). You can also try power-cycling the cable box, maybe it's gotten confused.

I wouldn't recommend calling the cable co, or at least not mentioning your TiVo when you do, that'll trigger their stock answer - "we don't support TiVos, get our third-rate DVR".

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:49 AM
sueweber

It is in the supported category. It does change the channel, but it's almost like it's not getting a signal so it goes to the next channel.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:50 AM
sueweber

I powered everything off and powered back on...still the same thing.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:51 AM
sueweber

It's a DCT2000 series Motorola Cable Box.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sguy599 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sguy599 Find more posts by sguy599 Add sguy599 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sguy599

I used to have a DCT2000 and it was recalled because of fire hazards.... They completely replaced the units with a different brand!!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

Check the section in that link about the DCT2000 box, especially the part that states "However, some people have erratic channel changing behavior using serial".

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 06:12 AM
sueweber

Well, that's really scary sguy!!! I guess that's what insurance and law suits are all about *shrug*

I plugged it in via IR and it works fine. It's slower to change and it's weird at first. But, as long as it works...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sueweber is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 06:18 AM
sueweber

It appears from the thread you mentioned Jim that a lot of people had problems with this and it seems to work fine for a while then problems. I'll see how the ir goes. It's just more clumbsy

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged