TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> My two best friends, Blup and Blop, died last night. (my TiVos) <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GBaz is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GBaz Visit GBaz's homepage! Find more posts by GBaz Add GBaz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GBaz

Angry My two best friends, Blup and Blop, died last night. (my TiVos)

Obituaries
Blup and Blop died last night in a tragic accident last night. Blup who was 2 1/2 years old suffed a severe injurery to his modem. He is not expected to live more then 13 days when is vital programing data runs out. Blop, who is 6 months old was discovered dead at about 1:300 am. Emergency tech support was proformed on scene but to no avail. He was unplugged severial times and plugged back in but the efforts did not help to recssitate him. Technitions said it was one of the saddest calls they had been on. Also lost in the accident were the cable modem and router.
Blup and Blop are surrived by their owner, Greg. He is said to be taking the loss of his to best friends very hard. The had been inseperable since the day they met. They will be missed teribly, thoe they are likley to be replaced really fast due to the addiction. Service are being held on Monday. In lue of flowers please send TiVo service gift certificates.

Well the worst happened. The cable modem was not working last night. I did a quick check and could not acess the router setup. I went to the basement to power cycle the modem and router. The power lights were out so I unplugged them and gound the GFCI switch need to be reset.

Plugged them back in, the cable modem turned on and lit up but made a funney noise. The router turned on but showed no link lights to the computers. I also noticed the the phone was dead. I unplugged from the network interface and back in the dial tone came back then it went out again. I unplugged all phones. Still no help.

Then the gut renching reality hit...the TIVO...<explitive> Unplugged the phone line from the series one and the phone came back to life. Only the modem went, every thing else is fine. Well not the end of the world it was a series one and I was thinking of replacing it with a referb deal any way...good reason to upgrade and glad I did not get lifetime.

Then I went to my bedroom to watch the other tivo. no green light...oh no...powercycled...no luck only the fan works. when plugged in and "booting" get unusible signal message and noise from the speaker (not normal with no signal at all)

The thing is every thing was plugged into an UPS. The phone line of the series one was also plugged into it. My guess is the surg came through the cable fried the cable modem went throught the network cable and took out the router.
I think that the same surge fried the series 2. And the surge went throught the cable in the series one and took out the modem. Could cable suges explain the modem problems from the Phillips series one? I guess the series one was more robust the the series 2 because it still works.

What does everyone think? This had to me a cable surge not not electrical because of the UPS's.

I never thought the cable surge protectoers were need because of the cable grounding block. Well I was very very wronge.

Im going to cry...<snif>b

Last edited by GBaz on 06-26-2004 at 08:42 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

I surge protect everything going into the TiVos, some things twice (once upstairs for the ethernet, again downstairs).

What brand Series 1 with the dead modem? I might be interested in buying it if you're going to dump it.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBaz is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GBaz Visit GBaz's homepage! Find more posts by GBaz Add GBaz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GBaz

It is a philips 212. I have 2 with dead modems. One I use as my third level of conflict resolution...but the clock as drifted alot. When I started it was 10 minutes off it is now at 15 minutes. it took about 7 monthes to drift 5 minutes....not very accurite. Ill post back when I decide whats happening to it. I might use it in my store for security tapeing. I just would need to find out how to lower the resolution and frame rate.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

Lower than Basic, I wouldn't know.

But just make Basic your default speed and you should be good. Then set one (or several) manual recording(s) totaling 24 hours.

Also, be aware that an external modem might solve your problem, and pretty cheaply. Search for "external modem success". There's a huge thread on it.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBaz is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:35 PM
GBaz

Thanks. My old one is v 2.5 so i never bothered. I might with the current one. Thoe if a modem will be $30 ill get a referb.

So I oppened up the series two. Unplugged the fan and HD. I can hear a quiet, fast passed clicking sound. When I unplug the ribbon cable from the board the clicking slowes down. Any idea? could it be just the power supply? Would replacing it fix it? Or is this clicking sound normal? Has anyone noticed...Weaknees?
It was plugged int and APC UPS so it could not have been power. So maybe a new power supply wont help if the surge went through the cable it would have fried the mobo...I hope it did not get my 120 gig drive.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:54 PM
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

With HD and fan powered down you're still hearing clicking?

That's not good. Those are the only moving parts.

Disconnect the power supply from the motherboard and I bet the sound is still there.

There's no guarantee the MB isn't fried, but I'd say for sure the power supply is.

If it wasn't lifetime'd, I'd say junk it. You could get some cash for it "as-is" for parts, if you cared to. Hell, I'd give you $20 plus shipping for it. But you could get more, I bet.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBaz is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:21 PM
GBaz

it almost sounds like a relay going back and forth. Im sure your right thats a fried ps. the strange this is that it had to fry through the cable.....
Well i lost enough stuff to see what the deal is with the home owner insurance...
But then again it is also a good time to switch to direct TV. The proble is I need 5 lnbs so i can get 2 tivos and one standard box.
Im thinking of selling the series 2. the case is in good shabe.. only been using it since march or april. Got it for xmass bet did not set it up...no money for second sub.
What is the deal with the new series 2 design? did I hear it was going to have a display and 5.0 SW. If thats the case I might have to wait because 5.0 supports drive >13X GB.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kaokulk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kaokulk Find more posts by Kaokulk Add Kaokulk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaokulk

quote:
Originally posted by GBaz
But then again it is also a good time to switch to direct TV. The proble is I need 5 lnbs so i can get 2 tivos and one standard box.

No, you need 2 LMBs, and a multiplexer, which most installers will install for free.

2 TiVos and one standard box? You mean 2 DirecTiVos? You need to tape 4 channels at once?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vatothe0 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vatothe0 Find more posts by vatothe0 Add vatothe0 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vatothe0

While watching a fifth no less. Two of them could be useful for multiroom viewing though....

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBaz is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:36 AM
GBaz

Might as well get 2. $99 is a great price for 4 tuners. im running 2 and i like having one in my tv room and one in my room. By the way the surge also took out my second router in my romm for the computers in there and the network card im my main computer.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBaz is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:09 AM
GBaz

Well my father spoake to the cable company. He said they my repair them. They are going to get back to us on it. Id rather they just give me the money for 2 new referbs. I might have troube because of the added drives.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged