TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Descrambler for Tivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 01-11-2001 08:34 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack351

Question Descrambler for Tivo

Ok, I need a little help here... Let me start off to say that I pay for the deluxe cable which has all the channels, I just refuse to pay 8.95 a month for their boxes and remotes when I can just buy my own for a 100. Now that that is out of the way... I have a Clearmax3000's and I heard that Tivo won't work with them, I also read that Clearviews do work with Tivo, but I can't find any on Ebay. Does anyone know of another box that will work with Tivo?? I also tried going with a OEM box, but it didn't work. I think I need universals. TIA.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-11-2001 09:09 AM
KelsterTX

Question

I have a friend in the exact same situation. I'd be interested in figuring out how to set it up for her. Any chance they'll add more models to those IR setups with software updates?

I started thinking the Clearmax 3000 [I bought on Ebay] was a fake since I couldn't find any IR codes that worked, despite Clearmax being in the selections on the Tivo. Hey Hack351, does the sticker on the bottom of your Clearmax say "2000", despite the front sticker saying "3000"?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2001 04:33 AM
Hack351

Talking

Yes it does say ClearMax 2000. Never noticed that before. Interesting. As far as our situation, I have no idea what I am gonna do... I want my Tivo!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2001 04:44 AM
Blueice888

Wink

I don't know if this will work in your situation, but I had a similar problem with a cable box and the mapping being different on the box( channels were not were they were supposed to be). I ended up buying another "plain" cable box from Radio Shack for $50 and then running it through the other box and keeping it set to channel 3. Then you set up the ir for the new box you buy without the descrambler and it changes the channels for you then runs it though the descrambler.

Hope that helps!!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2001 05:52 AM
TiVoAdiCt

I know of a few boxes that work. Have you tried all possible cablebox selections one by one. Go ahead and try it. Many aftermarket boxes have the same ir boards.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2001 05:44 PM
Daisy

Thumbs up

That's strange, I just got my Tivo last month and hooked up my Clearmax 2000 with absolutely no problem? All channel changes by the IR blaster are handled perfectly in "fast" mode and I have yet to experience any missed recordings or other abnormal Tivo behavior. Granted this is my third unit (thank goodness I bought it from a CC B&M and not online!) but Tivo support was great at identifying each problem and recommeding a solution, none of the replacements however was because of an IR or Clearmax interface issue. I love my Tivo! Now I can watch all my soaps and talk shows when I get home from work! :P
DT

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2001 08:11 PM
Hack351

Talking

Wow, really? Was Clearmax listed as one of the remote codes or did you use Clearview or some other company? TIA.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2001 06:46 AM
mppkll

Lightbulb

How about a converter device? It should be possible to program a microcontoller (like an HC11) to recognize the PCM signal coming from the IR port on the back of TiVo. Then look up the code in a table (stored in the microcontrollers EEPROM) to get the PCM code to send to the IR LED in front of your cable box. www.remotecentral.com has published a lot of manufactures PCM codes to use in Maranz/Phillips remotes.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2001 02:52 PM
Hack351

Talking

Thanks for the info, I will look into that. I might just go looking for a Clearview which seem to be getting scarce or just try with my Clearmaxes. Time to go look for a good Tivo deal...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doodlydoo is offline Old Post 03-15-2002 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doodlydoo Find more posts by doodlydoo Add doodlydoo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doodlydoo

Lightbulb

Hey Blueice888,

Can you explain exactly what you bought from Radio Shack and how you got it to change the channel on your cable box? I was a little bit confused.

Thanks.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ajhrefugee is offline Old Post 03-15-2002 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajhrefugee Find more posts by ajhrefugee Add ajhrefugee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajhrefugee
Membor

Sounds like he just bought one of those generic cable boxes for non-cable ready TVs, which TiVo is probably more likely to have the IR code for than some grey market pirate box you bought off ebay. So what you would do is connect your incoming cable to the IN jack on the new generic cable box and run a cable from it's OUT jack to the IN jack on the grey market box, making sure that you set the generic box to modulate to channel 3. Set the grey market box to channel 3 and use the generic box to change channels. Sounds like a really really poor setup if you ask me, the picture quality on those grey market boxes is bad enough, but two in series... oui vey

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Re: Descrambler for Tivo

And here I was thinking someone had figured out how to get TiVo to latch onto the video in such a way that it defeats most analog scrambling techniques.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

embeem is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for embeem Visit embeem's homepage! Find more posts by embeem Add embeem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
embeem

Re: Re: Descrambler for Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
And here I was thinking someone had figured out how to get TiVo to latch onto the video in such a way that it defeats most analog scrambling techniques.

Ditto; not like it'd be hard to do so either, harder would be finding a cable company that still used analog scrambling -- all the spice is on digital around here.

CVnB02kbxifsgVYcYfEiTG2qfIdFXmstrEhW9gpe+5OxEYid979qu1Esg2YHNA7W8tSTd1t9
88LYW46AhE01Uts8pa4TgZazxlo/FkMAS3i/Oqtm7Rf8C6QzXmbDgbN+fP+Fcu53FOtZXNXX
ClRoZSB0cnV0aCBhYm91dCBhIG1hbiBsaWVzIGluIHdoYXQgaGUgaGlkZXMgLU1hbHJhdXgK

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tom_h is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tom_h Find more posts by tom_h Add tom_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tom_h
TiVo Forum Special Member

I remember a post from a million years ago where one of the tivo engineers mentioned that they had set up a tivo to descramble using the stock hardware, dont know what s/w they had in it. This was pre 1.3 days.

I also think I remember someone saying the "Orbit" cable box setting would control a Clear-something cable box, dont remember if it was cleamax, clearview or something else.

I think I need an amplifier on my memory.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AProwlingLeo is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 07:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AProwlingLeo Find more posts by AProwlingLeo Add AProwlingLeo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AProwlingLeo

Re: Descrambler for Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by Hack351
I just refuse to pay 8.95 a month for their boxes and remotes when I can just buy my own for a 100.

I know this doesn't help the situation but I just had to chime in to say that very reason was why I dropped cable service and bought a DirecTivo. At least with Directv you can buy your equipment. I get so frustrated listening to cable TV ads talking about how they are better than satellite services because there is no equipment to buy. You just get ripped off indefinitely!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Lopez is offline Old Post 03-18-2002 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Lopez Find more posts by Mark Lopez Add Mark Lopez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

quote:
Originally posted by ajhrefugee
Sounds like a really really poor setup if you ask me, the picture quality on those grey market boxes is bad enough, but two in series... oui vey

I'm not sure what boxes you have been looking at, but most of the newer ones have a great output, some even better than the cable company supplied ones. Of course adding the second box certainly won't improve the picture.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixdown is offline Old Post 03-19-2002 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixdown Find more posts by unixdown Add unixdown to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixdown

FYI: The clearmax3000 WILL work with the latest tivo software. If you use the clearview or clearmax (I don't remember how TiVo lists it), but REMOVE the face plate in front of the IR receiver of the cable box. For some reason, TiVo's IR blaster doesn't make it through it (Probably a little too tinted). If you don't remove the plate, the unit will respond incorrectly to TiVo's command, and will appear that it won't work.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixdown is offline Old Post 03-19-2002 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixdown Find more posts by unixdown Add unixdown to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixdown

One thing I forgot to mention: After I got TiVo to work with the clearmax3000 I realized that this particular box brought in scrambled channels on a different number than the box provided by the cable company. I don't know why that is, but if you looking to avoid that $5 monthly fee for using their cable box/remote, you may still run into problems.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-19-2002 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by unixdown
One thing I forgot to mention: After I got TiVo to work with the clearmax3000 I realized that this particular box brought in scrambled channels on a different number than the box provided by the cable company. I don't know why that is, but if you looking to avoid that $5 monthly fee for using their cable box/remote, you may still run into problems.

The cable company does this deliberately to discourage you from using unapproved boxes.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged