TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Caller-id program for DirecTivo <<<

Pages (14): « First ... « Prev 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ADent is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by TK-421
Anyone try this on a Series2 to see if its modem supports it?

Do anyone have shell access to a S2?

POST #121 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff412 is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff412 Find more posts by Jeff412 Add Jeff412 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff412

Chuck,
Not yet. That is going to have to be a weekend job and I have to get the TiVo away from my wife and 3 year old long enough to do it.

Jeff

POST #122 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deebo is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for deebo Find more posts by deebo Add deebo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deebo
User

Has anyone gotten it working with an external modem? If so could you post how you did it. I am going to try it in the next couple of days and just wondering if anyone else has had any success with it.

POST #123 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 07:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregggreg Visit gregggreg's homepage! Find more posts by gregggreg Add gregggreg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregggreg

quote:
Originally posted by deebo
Has anyone gotten it working with an external modem? If so could you post how you did it. I am going to try it in the next couple of days and just wondering if anyone else has had any success with it.

nsysblh did. Hopefully he can post a response explaining the finer details. I can put it in the leseed package as a README. I think the hardest part is probably making the cable. Other than that its just figuring out the right init string for the modem and setting it on the command-line and then setting the modem device to be the serial port and you're done.

-Greg

POST #124 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Black_Dragon is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 07:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Black_Dragon Find more posts by Black_Dragon Add Black_Dragon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black_Dragon
Delicious

quote:
Originally posted by gregggreg
nsysblh did. Hopefully he can post a response explaining the finer details. I can put it in the leseed package as a README. I think the hardest part is probably making the cable. Other than that its just figuring out the right init string for the modem and setting it on the command-line and then setting the modem device to be the serial port and you're done.

-Greg

That's not nessecarily true. Not all modems output the same formatted CID info. (ie: the order or spacing is different)

Some modems support displaying unformatted CID info (usually the CID init string with a 2 ie: AT#CID=2 instead of AT#CID=1) which would be more compatible. If you haven't checked your PMs recently, I sent you some code/info for interpreting raw CID data the other day.

You should be able to use the serial cable that came with the TiVo, just set the external modem to ignore DTR and to not do any handshaking, flow control, etc. In theory serial communication only needs 3 wires... In theory.

POST #125 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Saturn is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Saturn Find more posts by Saturn Add Saturn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saturn
Headless again.

Just wanted to clarify what ElectricLegs said. Can you confirm this?

code:
/------------# #--------------------------------|47K ohm|-----\ | | | # | 14 11 10 1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ------ | --------------------------- | Q3 | | | *| ------ | | K2 952 | | | | | | | --------------------------- | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 15 20 28 | | | | (-) \----|JUMPER|---#---------------| C29 |-

The #'s are points that would have to be soldered to the TiVo's board.

POST #126 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ElectricLegs is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ElectricLegs Visit ElectricLegs's homepage! Find more posts by ElectricLegs Add ElectricLegs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ElectricLegs

Looks right to me!

POST #127 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveGardiner is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 03:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveGardiner Find more posts by SteveGardiner Add SteveGardiner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveGardiner
Loyal TiVo Subject

I loaded 0.4.1 on my T60 tonight and it worked, first try. However, the caller ID is not showing up on the screen or on the STDOUT until after the second ring, almost the third. It shows up on my stand-alone caller-ID box in between the first/second ring, like it should. Any idea why it's taking so long?

POST #128 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 01:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan

quote:
Originally posted by SteveGardiner
I loaded 0.4.1 on my T60 tonight and it worked, first try. However, the caller ID is not showing up on the screen or on the STDOUT until after the second ring, almost the third. It shows up on my stand-alone caller-ID box in between the first/second ring, like it should. Any idea why it's taking so long?
This is a long thread... This question was answered when I asked it.

Greg: would it be possible to add the wait time as a switch?

-SteakMan-

POST #129 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nsysblh is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nsysblh Find more posts by nsysblh Add nsysblh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nsysblh

I posted how to use an external modem in this same thread over at ************. I have 2 dtivos sharing one v.everything

POST #130 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deebo is offline Old Post 05-17-2002 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for deebo Find more posts by deebo Add deebo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deebo
User

Thanks nsysblh I'll go checkover there for the info.

POST #131 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deebo is offline Old Post 05-17-2002 01:11 AM
deebo
User

quote:
Ok, I cannot get the internal TiVo modems to work reliably. They both drop about 1 in 5 calls. I have tried most everything, and they just won't do it.

Here is what I have done, and it works as near as I can tell, 100% of the time (or at least as much as the other CID boxen I have...which is very close to 100%)

1) Get an old modem that appears to work fine for caller ID. I have a USR V.everything that is left over from the days of dial-up. I configured it more or less as follows:

a] set dip switch 1 to ignore DTR
b] AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W (at 9600 baud)

This saves the reset profile to let the modem just send the Caller ID info at 9600 baud with no initialization required. Just turn it on and hook it to the phone line from this point on.

2) Wire a db25 Male, and as many 1/8" Stereo plugs as needed as follows:

DB25 Headphone Plug
------ ----------------------
pin 3 ---> Ring (Middle)
pin 7 ---> Ground (Outside)

Notice that the tip of the jack is unconnected. Since it is the TxD wire, it should go to pin 2 to send the init strings. However, this is ok, as the modem needs no setup. This means there is no way the TiVo can do anything except collect information from the modem...Neat, eh?

3) Make a device for cua3:

mknod /dev/cua3 c 5 67

4) Hook it all up, and run elseed as follows:

nicepri fifo 1 elseed -d /dev/cua3 > /dev/null &

That is all there is to it. Because the modem is generating RS232 signals, this one setup can probably run a good many TiVo's.

The only issue is that you loose the serial port. However, it isn't needed as long as the network is up. And this solves everyone's dial out issues...since TxD isn't even wired, it can't dial out. You just have to have an external modem that isn't being used elsewhere.

There should probably be a check in the code to see if the default device is not being used, and to skip the check for TiVo dialing out. If /dev/cua1 is not the device opened, there is no need to back off if the TiVo dials out. Maybe just a switch to disable checking...

Thanks for the info nsysblh I just want to make sure I have everything right. First off here is the modem I am using http://www.directron.com/mdm-usr-56-ext.html not sure if it is capable of CID or not. It does not say explicitly that it will but I think it might. next in 1
b] AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W (at 9600 baud) not sure what to do with that is this an initialization string to be executed like ./elseed -i "AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W" & ?

POST #132 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 05-17-2002 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregggreg Visit gregggreg's homepage! Find more posts by gregggreg Add gregggreg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregggreg

quote:
Originally posted by deebo

Thanks for the info nsysblh I just want to make sure I have everything right. First off here is the modem I am using http://www.directron.com/mdm-usr-56-ext.html not sure if it is capable of CID or not. It does not say explicitly that it will but I think it might. next in 1
b] AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W (at 9600 baud) not sure what to do with that is this an initialization string to be executed like ./elseed -i "AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W" & ?

Yes that should work fine. If the response is "Modem: OK", then your modem accepted the init string. If it responds with Modem: ERROR, then the modem didn't accept the init string. If it does accept it, then it can probably do caller-id as the #CID=1 portion turns on caller-id in certain modems.

POST #133 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deebo is offline Old Post 05-17-2002 02:02 AM
deebo
User

Thanks that got it! It was failing on the initialization string so I just did
./elseed -i "at#cid=1" -M -d /dev/cua3 > /dev/null & and it woks fine thanks again to greggreg, and nsysblh for all the help and the great program!

POST #134 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raymond Day is offline Old Post 05-18-2002 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raymond Day Find more posts by Raymond Day Add Raymond Day to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raymond Day

I don't get what models you are talking about

All I know is I have 3 TiVo's, 2 series 1's and 1 series 2. I hope the series 2 can do Caller ID. My series 1 are model number PTV300 I never seen any one post that they have this one. I guess you call it a SA one? If so how do you get the SA out of it? I like to know if this model PTV300 can do caller ID with the little wiring job that is posted on here.

-Raymond Day

POST #135 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 05-18-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

Doing a quick google search leads me to believe that the PTV300 is the Philips HDR312. That would be a 30-hour Series 1 SA. SA = StandAlone, versus the Combos which are a combination of a DirecTV receiver and a TiVo.

So yes, the PTV300 will PROBABLY do CallerID with the soldering job mentioned above. But I suppose it's possible that there is some actual difference between the PTV300 and the HDR312 which might make that alteration inapplicable to the PTV300. I've never seen one, so I don't know.

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #136 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 05-18-2002 01:55 AM
gregggreg

Announcing elseed version 0.5.0

I am proud to announce the release of elseed version 0.5.0. There are 2 major changes in this one:

1. Command-line option to have elseed exit after displaying caller-id information. This is for people who were having trouble with elseed only displaying caller-id information for the first call after it was run. Included in the elseed package is a shell script to re-run elseed every time it exists. PLEASE people who posted this problem, try this out and let me know if it fixes your problem. Read the INSTALL file for details.

2. Command-line option to set how long elseed waits before reading the caller-id information. It turns out that elseed was waiting up to 5 seconds before displaying the caller-id info! That was what this option was set to in the program that I based elseed off of. I thought the setting was in milliseconds, but it was actually in tenths of a second. So the default I have changed from 50 to 20. I tried on mine all the way down to 5 and it seemed to work fine. Use command-line option -v to play with it and let me know how low you can get it with the caller-id info displaying every time.

Here is the changelog:

---

elseed (0.5.0) Moderate changes

- Now there is an option to have elseed exit after every display
of caller-id info and an optional shell script to keep restarting
it. This is for people who say that caller-id only works on the
first call elseed gets and no info is returned on subsequent
calls

- The time to wait to read from the modem is now a command-line
option. Now you can get the caller-id info faster.

POST #137 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nsysblh is offline Old Post 05-18-2002 04:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nsysblh Find more posts by nsysblh Add nsysblh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nsysblh

> b] AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W (at 9600 baud) not sure what to do with that is this an initialization string to be executed like ./elseed -i "AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W" & ?

You enter the string from a terminal program directly to the modem before you start setting up the TiVo to use the modem.

This ensures that the modem needs no setup from the TiVo at all.

Here is the tail end of my rc.sysinit: (for the modem setup described above)

sleep 120
nicepri fifo 1 elseed -d /dev/cua3 -i '' -M > /dev/null &

Brandon

POST #138 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deebo is offline Old Post 05-18-2002 04:18 PM
deebo
User

Ok I see what you are saying. Thank you very much for the info!

Last edited by deebo on 05-18-2002 at 08:07 PM

POST #139 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cnshough is offline Old Post 05-19-2002 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cnshough Find more posts by cnshough Add cnshough to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnshough

Is this program ready to be put on a boot disk/CD with step by step instructions so the newbies can get it working yet?

POST #140 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged