TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> WB Birds Of Prey <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
harvscar is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

WB Birds Of Prey

From Comics Continuum:

quote:
Birds of Prey stars Dina Meyer, Ashley Scott and Rachel Skarsten as Oracle, Huntress and Black Canary, respectively. It will air at 9 p.m., following Dawson's Creek, on Wednesdays.

The series is executive produced by Smallville executive producers Mike Tollin, Brian Robbins and Joe Davola, along with Laeta Kalogridis.

"The Birds of Prey pilot delivers a powerful cinematic feel, with big-screen effects, non-stop action and real breakout potential for the three female stars," said Jordan Levin, President, Entertainment, The WB. "We enjoyed tremendous success this year with Smallville, another DC Comics franchise from Tollin/Robbins, and see similarly great potential from this romp about Batgirl and her two sexy protégés."

Here's how The WB describes the show:

"The Batman legend is about to take a very unexpected turn. With Birds of Prey, the producers of Smallville masterfully combine the human drama of their hit WB series with a stunning cinematic visual style.

"It begins with New Gotham in chaos. In one night, Catwoman is murdered and Batgirl falls in a rain of gunfire, victims of The Joker's wrath. With his true love dead, The Caped Crusader flees the city and Batgirl, now confined to a wheelchair, redefines herself as Oracle (Dina Meyer, Beverly Hills, 90210), a master of cybernetics and weapons design. She takes under her wing the secret daughter of Batman and Catwoman, Huntress (Ashley Scott, Dark Angel), who is as fierce as she is beautiful. Powerful, haunting visions lead a third young woman, Dinah (Rachel Skarsten, Virginia's Run), to their secret Clock Tower lair. The trio is complete. They are now the Birds of Prey, determined to battle crime in a New Gotham laced with bold new villains. Shemar Moore (The Brothers) and Sherilyn Fenn (Twin Peaks) also star."

Moore plays Detective Reese and Fenn plays Dr. Harleen Quinn in the pilot.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

keirgrey is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keirgrey Find more posts by keirgrey Add keirgrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keirgrey
13th at the table

Dina Meyer? I'm there!

I'm quite optimistic that I'm going to be depressed later.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

HUH?!?

Bruce Wayne can't get put on the air, but this drek makes it? I don't even want to begin on the continuity problems with this.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

keirgrey is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keirgrey Find more posts by keirgrey Add keirgrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keirgrey
13th at the table

quote:
Originally posted by doom1701
HUH?!?

Bruce Wayne can't get put on the air, but this drek makes it? I don't even want to begin on the continuity problems with this.

Come to think of it, Doom, you're right. When would Batman EVER run away from the Joker? It would just serve to p#ss him off. Perhaps I will skip it after all, Dina Meyer or no.

I'm quite optimistic that I'm going to be depressed later.

Last edited by keirgrey on 05-15-2002 at 01:57 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

Just look at "The Killing Joke", when Barbara actually was shot (at home, not anywhere near Catwoman)--Batman tracked him down and almost killed him.

Batman doesn't abandon his people, or his city.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

Well, I don't know from DC mythos, but this is the quote that sums it all up for me, from Jordan Levin, President, Entertainment, The WB:

quote:
We enjoyed tremendous success this year with Smallville, another DC Comics franchise from Tollin/Robbins, and see similarly great potential from this romp about Batgirl and her two sexy protégés.

I hope this has some of what made Smallville good, but I'm thinking it'll be more Cleopatra 2525.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:44 AM
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
Due to legal complications, while this version of The Huntress supposedly IS the daughter of the Batman (as the character was the daughter of the Earth-2 Batman and Catwoman originally), they can't ever actually SAY SO...and similarly, while Oracle is in a wheelchair (you'll remember "The Killing Joke" of a few years back when she was shot and paralyzed), they CAN'T say it was The Joker who did it. So instead it will be told (in flashbacks) as "The Laughing Man", who will be played by Mark Hamill (who voiced The Joker in the animated Batman shows!).

(Hamill also played The Trickster on 2 episodes of the live action "The Flash" series about a decade or more back.)

Doesn't that just take the cake--we want to do a series based on some Batman characters, but we can't mention Batman or his arch nemesis. What a load. I feel physically ill thinking about this series.

If they want to do something in the Batman universe, why not a Nightwing series? You could even move Barbara Gordon to Bludhaven without really screwing with the contiuity too bad, and have Oracle in it.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ereth is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ereth Visit Ereth's homepage! Find more posts by Ereth Add Ereth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ereth
MMM..Strawberry!

Well, ok, but once you get past Batman leaving, which I assume will be in the pilot, the series could be interesting in it's own right.

On the other hand, two physical characters like The Huntress and the Black Canary could easily turn into "Charlies Angels" if they aren't careful, with Barbara Gordon filling in for Charlie.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ClutchBrake is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ClutchBrake Visit ClutchBrake's homepage! Find more posts by ClutchBrake Add ClutchBrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I don't typically go for reviews of pilot scripts and such, but AICN news did a review of the Birds of Prey pilot a few months back and it sounded awful. I will give it a chance anyway. In the meantime, I'll look for the AICN article.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12monkeys is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 12monkeys Find more posts by 12monkeys Add 12monkeys to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
12monkeys

I will give this a shot -- especially since Smallville is one of my favorite shows. Besides, I put little faith in any reviewers.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 07:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

This does not sound good. I liked the concept until I read about the Batman tie-in. I mean geez, it's even more complex than the comic. Secret love child? Batman's gone? etc...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12monkeys is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 12monkeys Find more posts by 12monkeys Add 12monkeys to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
12monkeys

quote:
Originally posted by holee
This does not sound good. I liked the concept until I read about the Batman tie-in. I mean geez, it's even more complex than the comic. Secret love child? Batman's gone? etc...

No more complex than Smallville. Alien, orphaned son? Meteor kills love interest's parents? Etc...

No saying that this show will rock, but I am willing to give it a chance. Hopefully, it is better than Mutant X.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GregF is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 07:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GregF Find more posts by GregF Add GregF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregF

I think the concept will make a better tv show than a comic book. I found it boring reading. I hope Chuck Dixon gets a big paycheck out of this somehow.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Philosofy is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 11:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Philosofy Find more posts by Philosofy Add Philosofy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

In the rumors I heard, the Birds of Prey surface years after Batman has disappeared. Presumably, he died doing something, and no one has found the body. Its a lot better premise than him running away (although he does seem to be doing that in the current storyline.)

The voices in my head are screaming.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rexdart is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 11:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rexdart Find more posts by rexdart Add rexdart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rexdart
Eskimo Spy!

for clarification, I am a long time DC fan (don't read anymore though - kinda miss it). did someone, somewhere up there in this thread show concern about the validity of continuity in the DC universe, I mean come on now it just seems.........

I have decided that this post is not coming together in the form that I wanted so I am going to redo it from my little satellite until it looks more like I had envisioned it to be. do not be concerned, everything will make perfect.............

Thought about it again, no sir, not happy, so I have again decided (this time from the far reaches of time) to make a change.

This post was never written

anti-rex

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 08:44 PM
harvscar
Advanced Member

More Birds of Prey news, nothing really new though. From Comics Continuum

quote:
The Birds of Prey pilot episode for the new WB series contains several familiar Bat-verse characters.

Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman, is killed early in the episode, with her daughter Helena watching over her. Helena becomes the Huntress and discovers that Batman is her father.

Batman himself actually appears, very briefly, as he tackles the Joker in what appears to be their final confrontation. Batman does not talk and is seen from behind from Batgirl's point of view.

Later, the Joker shoots Barbara Gordon in her apartment, causing the injury that paralyzes her and restricts her to a wheelchair. The Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill.

Alfred is seen helping Barbara in the Clocktower. He mentions he is taking care of Wayne Manor.

Sherilyn Fenn plays Dr. Harleen Quinzel, aka Harley Quinn. She is a psychiatrist counseling Helena but she has more ominous agendas.

Here's a blurry pic of Hamill:

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 05-29-2002 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Each time I see this thread, I think it's about another Star Trek show based around the Romulans.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 05-29-2002 09:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

I thought Hammil was just doing the voice, not the body, of the Joker in the pilot?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 05-29-2002 06:42 PM
harvscar
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by holee
I thought Hammil was just doing the voice, not the body, of the Joker in the pilot?

You're right. I completely glossed over that part, "The Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill." I knew that image, even as fuzzy as it is, didn't look like Hamill.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 05-30-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Ack, this looks like it could be very, very bad.

Why couldn't they have made another season of Batman Beyond instead?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged