TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Elementary School Pledges <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
justapixel is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

Elementary School Pledges

I was helping in my son's school last week, and after the morning calendaring activity, the children stood to say the Pledge of Allegiance. When they were done, they said another pledge - one I'd never heard of before. It was the Pledge of Allegiance to the World.

Here is what they said.

I pledge allegiance to the world,
to cherish every living thing;
to care for earth and sea and air,
with peace and freedom everywhere.

Comments?

I'm eclectic.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eweu is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eweu Find more posts by eweu Add eweu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eweu
pragmatist

California über alles.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Boot is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Boot Find more posts by Boot Add Boot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boot
Bumfuzzled

I think it's a nice sentiment. But is it necessary? I'm not sure that a child should have to pledge allegiance to anything, no matter how "nice" it may be, in order to receive an education.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

They don't have a problem with that pledge but the words "One Nation, Under God" upset them?

Sounds like a Peta/Greenpeace sponsored pledge.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Re: Elementary School Pledges

quote:
Originally posted by justapixel

Comments?

It's contradictoray on it's face.

You can't "cherish every living thing" and have "peace and freedom everywhere" at the same time -- at least not in today's world. There is good and evil on this planet, and the only ensure peace and freedom is to eradicate (i.e. kill) the evildoers.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tori is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tori Find more posts by Tori Add Tori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tori
TiVo Forum Special Member

I prefer that our child takes the concept of "pledge" very seriously, so I have no desire for random people to teach her to recite things as pledges.

As far as the specific sentiments of this pledge, they are a bit too sappy and nebulous for my tastes. Plus I have serious doubts we'll ever achieve "peace and freedom everywhere" at least not in her lifetime. Not everyone has the same ideas about what freedom means anyway. Why the heck should she be promising to do the impossible. I would rather than she have achievable goals than "beautiful" ones.

Bah humbug.

-Tori

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ehopper is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ehopper Visit ehopper's homepage! Find more posts by ehopper Add ehopper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ehopper
Out for repairs

Re: Elementary School Pledges

quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
I was helping in my son's school last week, and after the morning calendaring activity, the children stood to say the Pledge of Allegiance. When they were done, they said another pledge - one I'd never heard of before. It was the Pledge of Allegiance to the World.

Here is what they said.

Comments?

What PC drivel.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by ybrew
They don't have a problem with that pledge but the words "One Nation, Under God" upset them?

Sounds like a Peta/Greenpeace sponsored pledge.

<sarcasm> Hey they forgot to mention God, doesn't that make this pledge unconstitutional? I mean the declaration of Independence did say endowed by our creator.... </sarcasm>

Oh yeah.. it IS a bunch of PC drivel. Why don't they throw in a line about not ever offending anyone else.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maniacal1 is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maniacal1 Find more posts by Maniacal1 Add Maniacal1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maniacal1

You Californians are a hoot and a half, Ann! Here in the United States, we have a similar pledge of allegiance to our very own flag.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigray327 is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigray327 Visit bigray327's homepage! Find more posts by bigray327 Add bigray327 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigray327
Gixxer

They do a similar thing here in Texas. I was at a town hall meeting and after finishing the normal person pledge, they did some other Don't-Mess-With-Texas crap.

I turned to the guy next to me and asked, "WTF was that?"

"You ain't from 'round these parts, is ya?" he replied.

Makes me wonder where I'm living sometimes.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

I live in Texas, and have never heard some other pledge

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaronD is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AaronD Find more posts by AaronD Add AaronD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AaronD

<sarcasm>Yeah, what the heck are they thinking with their PC crap. How dare they promote peace and freedom to children! What good would that do them when they grow up? Besides, they already get enough of that peace and freedom stuff from TV.</sarcasm>

(Just my humble opinion... )

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrmike Find more posts by mrmike Add mrmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrmike
Ground Pounder

quote:
Originally posted by ybrew

Yeah, 'cause of that pesky constitution thing. We'd be much better off without that. Sheesh, I mean it's candy-coated drivel but it doesn't violate any laws that I can think of, and certainly it doesn't touch any Constitutionally protected areas. I give it a C- for content and a D- for execution. From my point of view "Be excellent to one another" works at least as well, but only if you say it in Keanu-voice.

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
You can't "cherish every living thing" and have "peace and freedom everywhere" at the same time -- at least not in today's world. There is good and evil on this planet, and the only ensure peace and freedom is to eradicate (i.e. kill) the evildoers.

Yeah, that whole "turn the other cheek" thing is so last-millennium. What was Jesus thinking?

-MM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by mrmike
Yeah, that whole "turn the other cheek" thing is so last-millennium. What was Jesus thinking?

-MM

I think this song responds to your point. I apologize if individual words offend anyone, but if you read the whole thing, you will see that it is an anti-racist song.

They Ain’t Makin’ Jews LiKe Jesus Anymore (Kinky Friedman)

Well, a redneck nerd in a bowling shirt was a-guzzlin’ Lone Star beer
Talking religion and-uh politics for all the world to hear.
“They oughta send you back to Russia, boy, or New York City one
You just want to doodle a Christian girl and you killed God’s only son.”
I said, “Has it occurred to you, you nerd, that that’s not very nice,
We Jews believe it was Santa Claus that killed Jesus Christ.”
“You know, you don’t look Jewish,” he said, “near as I could figger
I had you lamped for a slightly anemic, well-dressed country nigger.“

No, they ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don’t turn the other cheek the way they done before.
He started in to shoutin’ and a-spittin’ on the floor,
“Lord, they ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore.”

He says, “I ain’t a racist but Aristitle Onassis is one Greek we don’t need
And them niggers, Jews and Sigma Nus, all they ever do is breed.
And wops ‘n micks ‘n slopes ‘n spics ‘n spooks are on my list
And there’s one little hebe from the heart of Texas — is there anyone I missed ? ”

Well, I hits him with everything I had right square between the eyes.
I says, “I’m gonna gitcha, you son of a bitch ya, for spoutin’ that pack of lies.
If there’s one thing I can’t abide, it’s an ethnocentric racist;
Now you take back that thing you said ‘bout Aristitle Onassis.”

We don’t turn the other cheek the way we done before.
You could hear that honky holler as he hit that hardwood floor
“Lord, they sho’ ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore!”
All right!

We don’t turn the other cheek the way they done before.
You hear that honky holler as he hit that hardwood floor
Lord, they ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore.

Everybody!
They ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore,
They ain’t makin’ carpenters who know what nails are for.
Well, the whole damn place was singin’ as I strolled right out the door
“Lord, they ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore!”

No, we ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore,
We don’t turn the other cheek the way they done before.
Well, the whole damn place was singin’ as I strolled right out the door
“Lord, they ain’t makin’ Jews like Jesus anymore!”

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrmike Find more posts by mrmike Add mrmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrmike
Ground Pounder

quote:
I think this song responds to your point.

More like enforces it. Moron A hits Moron B and feels better about himself for it. Or did I miss the deep meaning you were referencing?

-MM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 09-30-2002 11:57 PM
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by mrmike

More like enforces it. Moron A hits Moron B and feels better about himself for it. Or did I miss the deep meaning you were referencing?

-MM

No, basically my point is that 1) I really like Kinky Friedman, and have been looking for an excuse to put that song in a post for a while and 2) quoting Jesus in an argument to someone who is Jewish isn't the best way to make your point.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:06 AM
mrmike
Ground Pounder

quote:
2) quoting Jesus in an argument to someone who is Jewish isn't the best way to make your point.

Because? You don't like his philosophy?
Sorry, I fail to see the connection. Unless you thought I was arguing from authority (as in he is the son of some all-powerful poobah in the sky) which if you knew me as well as you assumed I know you (sorry I left my belief-in-random-faiths-o-meter in my other pants) would be as silly as you apparently thought I was being in the first place. Whew, was that a run-on or what?

-MM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Steavis is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Steavis Find more posts by Steavis Add Steavis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steavis
Betrothed

quote:
Originally posted by eweu
California über alles.

LOL

Hmm, I've been trying to come up with a new User Title...

The Avatar Tribute Archive | TiVo Community Weight Watchers/Atkins Dieters Forum!

"Do what Steavis says." --jsmeeker

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

quote:
Originally posted by Steavis

LOL

Hmm, I've been trying to come up with a new User Title...

I thought about that too, only..... I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!!

I searched and searched, really I did......

I'm eclectic.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pan Chun is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pan Chun Find more posts by Pan Chun Add Pan Chun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pan Chun
Gone now

I guess I'm the only one who's noticed that this thread is essentially "The Usual Suspects" for this type of thing...!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged