TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Tivo series proposed wireless configuration <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jasonp_99 is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 09:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasonp_99 Find more posts by jasonp_99 Add jasonp_99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasonp_99

Tivo series proposed wireless configuration

Ordering my series 2 in a couple of days and had a configuration question in regards to using with wireless ethernet. Did a search through past postings and a couple came close, but I thought I would would ask.

I saw that linksys has a wireless USB ethernet adapter. Together with one of their wireless routers, shouldn't it work just fine for a series 2? Or do you have to have certain type of USB ethernet adapter for the Tivos?

This works a little better for me (even though pricey) as I'm in an apartment and not sure if the network via electrical sockets is the best option. Plus I have a laptop from work I could put on the wireless network so that's no biggie. Be nice not to have wires everywhere. Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 10:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

No. The Series 2 (or 1 for that matter) doesn't work with wireless devices. Just because the connector fits doesn't mean it has drivers for the thing.

There *may* be wireless drivers in Series II 3.0 boxes. But not having a Series 2 box, I can't tell for sure. Nobody's posted any info on them that I'm aware of, just hints that it can be done. Well, of course it *can* be done, but are the drivers there? Is there code to load them? What chipsets? I dunno. For now, what I do know is that these adapters will work:

3COM
3Com USB Ethernet 3C460B

ABOCOM
USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet
USB HPNA/Ethernet

ACCTON
Accton USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet

ADMTEK
ADMtek ADM8511 Pegasus II USB Ethernet
ADMtek AN986 Pegasus USB Ethernet (eval. board)

ALLIEDTEL
Allied Telesyn Int. AT-USB100

BELKIN
Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet

BILLIONTON
Billionton USB-100
Billionton USBE-100
Billionton USBEL-100
Billionton USBLP-100

COMPAQ
iPAQ Networking 10/100 USB

COREGA
Corega FEter USB-TX

DLINK
D-Link DSB-650
D-Link DSB-650TX
D-Link DSB-650TX(PNA)

ELSA
Elsa Micolink USB2Ethernet

HAWKING
Hawking UF100 10/100 Ethernet

IODATA
IO DATA USB ET/TX
IO DATA USB ET/TX-S

KINGSTON
Kingston KNU101TX Ethernet

LANEED
LANEED USB Ethernet LD-USB/T
LANEED USB Ethernet LD-USB/TX

LINKSYS
Linksys USB100TX
Linksys USB10TX
Linksys USB Ethernet Adapter
Linksys USB USB10TX

MELCO
MELCO/BUFFALO LUA2-TX
MELCO/BUFFALO LUA-TX

SIEMENS
SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet

SMARTBRIDGES
smartNIC 2 PnP Adapter

SMC
SMC 202 USB Ethernet

SOHOWARE
SOHOware NUB100 Ethernet

Last edited by Otto on 10-22-2002 at 10:36 AM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 10:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Your only option for wireless ethernet on the S2 is to get an access point and use it as a bridge.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scarabus is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 10:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scarabus Visit scarabus's homepage! Find more posts by scarabus Add scarabus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scarabus
GOLD MEMBER

quote:
Originally posted by Otto
No. The Series 2 (or 1 for that matter) doesn't work with wireless devices.

???

All you need is a wireless access point - they cost a fraction more than a PCMCIA card and take up more space, but work perfectly well.

And don't forget the AirNet board for the series 1

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 10:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by scarabus
All you need is a wireless access point - they cost a fraction more than a PCMCIA card and take up more space, but work perfectly well.

And don't forget the AirNet board for the series 1

Let me clarify:

To the best of my knowledge, there are no drivers for wireless devices in the current Tivo series 2 software. If you put a wired device and a bridge or an AP in client mode, then sure, but that's not a wireless device on the Tivo, that's a wireless bridge to a LAN. Completely different that what he's talking about, which is a USB->802.11b dongle type thing.

And Airnet must be hacked in. You have to add the drivers for it, they're not there already. Series 2's are still protected, you can't add software to them currently, so you can't add drivers for wireless USB adapters. See?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JivinJeff is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JivinJeff Find more posts by JivinJeff Add JivinJeff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JivinJeff

Cool

This would work...

http://www.linksys.com/splash/wet11_splash.asp

Jeff

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timf is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 11:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timf Visit timf's homepage! Find more posts by timf Add timf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timf
TiVo Forum Special Member

TiVoPony has hinted that wireless ethernet adapters will work once official ethernet support is offered. I would recommend just using the phone line connection until official support is offered, since there's no real benefit to having an ethernet connection now (at least not worth the price of a WET11).

For the latest DirecTV local channel information, go here .
Visit AVS Forum Live Chat for live help with your TiVo! View channel stats here .

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scarabus is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 11:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scarabus Visit scarabus's homepage! Find more posts by scarabus Add scarabus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scarabus
GOLD MEMBER

quote:
Originally posted by timf
TiVoPony has hinted that wireless ethernet adapters will work once official ethernet support is offered. I would recommend just using the phone line connection until official support is offered, since there's no real benefit to having an ethernet connection now (at least not worth the price of a WET11).

How much does it cost to have a phone line installed behind your TV? My D-Link WAP cost me $60 after rebates.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 04:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

There has been substantial discusssion in the Underground on this issue. Take a look here for some thoughts and tips.

The problem with the Linksys USB wireless is that as of now there is no way to load the drivers into a Series 2. A number of other solutions are (un)supported in the 3.x software. You might run a search for "WET11" in the Underground Forum.

My own solution (Series 2 with v 3 software) is TiVo to hub --> Powerline connector (bedroom) --> Powerline connector (Computer room) --> hub --> DSL Modem. There are Wireless access points in both the bedroom and Computer room (also connected to the hubs) to let us roam the house with our laptops.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jasonp_99 is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 06:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasonp_99 Find more posts by jasonp_99 Add jasonp_99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasonp_99

Thanks for all the replies and for posting which USB adapters work with the Tivo.

I think what I'll do is use the phone cord for a little while at least, and wait to see what develops with ethernet support. I wouldn't think it will be all that long before it is an official feature. Don't want that to be a permanent solution as it as to run across open floor to get to a phone jack, but it will be alright for a little while.

If Tivo supports a wireless usb ethernet card then great, I'll switch to it. If not I'll get the approved USB dongle and put that into a WET11 from linksys which will turn it into wireless and have it link up to a wireless access point for my broadband connection. A little expensive but for not having cables I'm willing to fork out a little extra. Plus if/when I put a Tivo in the bedroom then I can just add it to the wireless network.

Keep in mind that some of us live in apartments, or at least that is my scenario. If I owned a house I'd probably put in a ethernet jack behind my entertainment center and be done with it. The wireless solution seems like the best for me, as it allows me to move my stuff with minimal hassle when its time to move.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

azm1000 is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for azm1000 Find more posts by azm1000 Add azm1000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azm1000

HP USB Adapter?

I just bought a USB-Ethernet adapter by HP from ebay (because it was cheap) and noticed that it was not included in the list above of tivo-compatible adapters. Does that mean that it will not work or just that it hasn't been confirmed compatible with tivo?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 10-22-2002 09:18 PM
Otto

Re: HP USB Adapter?

quote:
Originally posted by azm1000
I just bought a USB-Ethernet adapter by HP from ebay (because it was cheap) and noticed that it was not included in the list above of tivo-compatible adapters. Does that mean that it will not work or just that it hasn't been confirmed compatible with tivo?

It may or may not work. Depends on whether it uses a supported chipset or not. The ones listed above were found and posted by embeem as having a working chipset, so they all will work for certain. Beyond that, no easy way to know.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

korn316 is offline Old Post 10-23-2002 06:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for korn316 Find more posts by korn316 Add korn316 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
korn316

I'm using a d-link yet I've heard smc also works good.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 12-27-2002 03:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for curiousgeorge Find more posts by curiousgeorge Add curiousgeorge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curiousgeorge

I tried the Siemens Speedstream SS1001, which is on the list, but it did NOT work on any of my Series2 units. I've seen other posts of this nature about that one, so perhaps it should be footnoted that some revs MAY work, but others not?

Also, it would be helpful to have a confirmed list of adapters that DON'T work, so if you want to experiment, you're not wasting time.

I also tried the Microsoft MN-110 USB->Ethernet adapter, and it did NOT work with the Series2s either.

The Linksys, however, worked great.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

44enviro is offline Old Post 04-09-2003 10:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 44enviro Find more posts by 44enviro Add 44enviro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
44enviro

SMC 2202usb/eth (eznet-usb 10/100)

quote:
Originally posted by Otto

For now, what I do know is that these adapters will work:

SMC
SMC 202 USB Ethernet

I assume that the smc 202 adapter is the same as described in the subject line.

I am not getting any network light on my switch where the smc usb adapter is connected. I read somewhere on the net that the light on the usb NIC will not light when connected to tivo, but I can't imagine no network light on my switch when connected.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to setting up the usb nic so I can omit the phone line from dialing out.

Thanks,

James

Last edited by 44enviro on 04-09-2003 at 11:04 AM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Les_Sr is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 10:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Les_Sr Find more posts by Les_Sr Add Les_Sr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Les_Sr

you can use anything compatible with the S2 version 2 on the S2 version 3. all you have to do is replace the version 3 kernel with the version 2 kernel... now you can boot any third party software that you were using on the version 2... but you still keep all the version 3 features....

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged