TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Blue Moon <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVoPony is offline Old Post 03-27-2003 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Talking Blue Moon

Tomorrow is the last Friday in the month of March.

It's a very, very special day around here.

Four years ago the first TiVo's came rolling off the assembly line, were shipped to customers, and the TiVo Service, and the DVR industry, were born.

Oh, people had seen advertisements before, and demos before...from TiVo and others. But this was the very first DVR ever shipped. By anyone.

We all visited the factory, and watched the systems rolling from station to station. We wore blue labcoats. We high-fived each other. We signed the first box to come down the line (it's sitting in a display case not far from where I'm writing this note).

It had been a grind...a ton of work. We were all exhausted. And Mike Ramsay, our CEO, told us all to go home. Take Friday off. Don't come in, under any circumstances. He was going to padlock the doors.

Well, except for a few unlucky souls in customer service. It seems that the phones must always be manned.

And so we took a day off. And we have every year since...tomorrow makes five. The last Friday in March is always our 'Blue Moon' holiday, a TiVo national day of rest and relaxation.

Why Blue Moon? It so happens that in March of 1999 there were two full moons. A rare occurrence, and a great codename for our launch.

So tomorrow we won't be here. Everyone behave. Have fun. Post nice things. Leave the poor customer support folk alone as much as you can. Get caught up on those TV shows you have stored away. Maybe throw your recorder a birthday party.

And remember that it all started in March of '99, by a little startup called TiVo.

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

raitchison is offline Old Post 03-27-2003 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for raitchison Visit raitchison's homepage! Find more posts by raitchison Add raitchison to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raitchison
this space for rent

Heh maybe we can get the day turned into a national holiday

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hawkamer is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 02:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hawkamer Find more posts by hawkamer Add hawkamer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hawkamer
Super Duper Member

Too bad TiVo doesn't have some sort of major product to release in celebration of the Blue Moon tradition. You know, maybe some sort of "special software upgrade." You could sit at your screens at TiVo Cenntral (ha!) and watch the software purchase orders flow in. You could even wear the blue lab coats, just don't tell anyone, or the guys in the white lab coats will take you away!

Then, take the next day off (except for customer service, of course). Naaa, what am I thinking. TiVo isn't planning on doing something like that, right! There’s no "special software upgrade" in the works right?

OK, OK, tomorrow I PROMISE to post something nice to make up for my blatant innuendo and wishful thinking! Well, maybe I'll take tomorrow off too. But the next day, for sure!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

- This is a great story and a cool bit of history.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 03:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
Advanced Member

TivoPony thanks for sharing that nice information to us. Have a happy day.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Polcamilla is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Polcamilla Find more posts by Polcamilla Add Polcamilla to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Polcamilla

Re: Blue Moon

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
We signed the first box to come down the line (it's sitting in a display case not far from where I'm writing this note).

I've heard this story before, but somehow, I always imagined that everyone signed that first box and then it shipped unsuspectingly off to some innocent TiVo customer who, to this day, was never quite sure why he had a TiVo covered in signatures. Somehow, the idea that it's still at TiVo Central is a tad disillusioning.

Happy Blue Moon Day!

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 04:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees
TiVo Forum Special Member

I guess the corollary is the old Macs that had the signatures of the designers all molded into the inside plastic of the main box. That was part of the mold, and it went out to everyone.

But TiVos are metal - so no dice there.

Anyway - hopefully it's too late for you to all read this now, but have a great day off, everyone at TiVo! You deserve it!

Michael

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nrc is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nrc Visit nrc's homepage! Find more posts by nrc Add nrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nrc
Cracker Soul

Every time I sit down to watch TV I'm still grateful for the hard work of everyone at TiVo and your dedication to turning a great idea into a great product. Enjoy your holiday!

Who's anyone at all

-- Warren Zevon

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PhilCase is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PhilCase Find more posts by PhilCase Add PhilCase to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PhilCase
Tivo Lurker

Re: Blue Moon

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
It's a very, very special day around here.

And remember that it all started in March of '99, by a little startup called TiVo.

This is a great story and the kind of thing that would make up part of the kind of documentary I'd really like to find waiting in my Tivo as a push program someday. <Hint Hint> It's would also be a great little treat for new customers to find already on their drives when they buy a Tivo!

Phil

Last edited by PhilCase on 04-01-2003 at 08:05 PM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maniacal1 is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maniacal1 Find more posts by Maniacal1 Add Maniacal1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maniacal1

It's Blue Moon Friday on the East Coast. Happy anniversary, TiVo!

My gratitude goes to all the fine folk at TiVo who've revolutionized television. And in your honor, I'll be taking today off. (Mostly because I have 2 vacation days that I have to use before the end of March, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 01:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I can't wait until 2005, when the last Friday in March will once again be a full moon. You guys should plan something really big for that day. Maybe you can release v6.4 with the new telepathic suggestions engine on that day?

Congratulations to everyone at TiVo and have a happy. Keep up the sterling work.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 01:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PrimeRisk Find more posts by PrimeRisk Add PrimeRisk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Happy Birthday TiVo!

Series 2 TiVo TCD240080, 80 hours - Lifetime Subscription w/HMO - Haulin' Tres
Series 2 DTiVos (3 x DSR7000s), 120+ hours
HDTiVo HR10-250, 200SD/30HD hours

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtmra70 is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 01:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtmra70 Find more posts by mtmra70 Add mtmra70 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtmra70
Hire Me TiVoPony

anyone else getting a Blue Moon as their TiVo menu background??????

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LtSparky is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 05:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LtSparky Find more posts by LtSparky Add LtSparky to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LtSparky
(witty title here)

Great story, Pony!

I hope I'll be with Tivo for many, many more "Blue Moon Fridays" to come. Congrats.

2 Phillips DVR704's - stock
TiVo Series 2 - 80 Hour - Lifetime - HMO
TiVo Series 2 - 80 Hour - Monthly - HMO

"To err is human. To moo...bovine"

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 06:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj
TiVo Forum Special Member

Pony, you forgot the part about the St. Crispin's day speech.

Oh, well, I guess RB always was a bit more melodramatic than you.

Enjoy your day off!

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

knuckles is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for knuckles Find more posts by knuckles Add knuckles to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

Happy Blue Moon Day!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Moebius is offline Old Post 03-28-2003 07:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Moebius Find more posts by Moebius Add Moebius to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Moebius

quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Green
I can't wait until 2005, when the last Friday in March will once again be a full moon. You guys should plan something really big for that day. Maybe you can release v6.4 with the new telepathic suggestions engine on that day?

Congratulations to everyone at TiVo and have a happy. Keep up the sterling work.

Nah, the telepathic engine project has been scrapped. Too buggy when dealing with indecisive viewers. The wave of the future is to stop recording based on guide data. So, if the network decides to preempt Ed, the TiVo would recognize that Ed's not on and stop the recording....unless of course what's on looks good enough to save as a suggestion.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged