TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lifetime service now transferable on TiVo's website <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SonyPlanet Find more posts by SonyPlanet Add SonyPlanet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

Lifetime service now transferable on TiVo's website

It's true. You can now transfer Lifetime service from one TiVo to another as long as they are the same model number and you can do it yourself under Manage My Account, Change TiVo Service Number.

Lifetime status therefore no longer means the unit, it means the person.

TiVo says this feature may be pulled in the future if it is abused. So I would suggest we don't all rush to sell Lifetime sub status on Ebay for units we don't want. Sell the whole unit.

As always, you can transfer monthly subs to any unit at any time, and Lifetime subs between different models in the first 30 days after the sale.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Not that I have a second tivo (YET!) but that was a great thing for them today. Seeing since you buy Lifetime it makes sense to do it this way.

I really hope its not abused as stated above so everyone can get this benefit even if in the future.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

That feature exists for those that get a unit replaced during a repair. When you send in your TiVo to Sony, Phillips, TiVo, etc. and get another back instead of your original, you can re-enter the TSN.

This is not something new.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LifeIsABeach is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LifeIsABeach Find more posts by LifeIsABeach Add LifeIsABeach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LifeIsABeach

Wish they would let you transfer service from a Series 1 to a Series 2 w/ DVD writer TiVo. Keeping my fingers crossed...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Re: Lifetime service now transferable on TiVo's website

quote:
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
It's true. You can now transfer Lifetime service from one TiVo to another as long as they are the same model number and you can do it yourself under Manage My Account, Change TiVo Service Number.
That's not what is says on the website. It says
quote:
You can change your TiVo Service Number online if either of these situations apply:
1. You activated your DVR and then exchanged it through your retailer or through the manufacturer and now need to update the TiVo Service Number on your account
2. You need to correct the TiVo Service Number that you initially activated
It says nothing about transfer to another Tivo with the same model number, although that is probably the case with #1.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mishagray is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mishagray Visit mishagray's homepage! Find more posts by mishagray Add mishagray to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mishagray
Gadget afflicted

quote:
Originally posted by LifeIsABeach
Wish they would let you transfer service from a Series 1 to a Series 2 w/ DVD writer TiVo. Keeping my fingers crossed...

They did once have a onetime "Transfer lifetime from a series 1 to a series 2" sale. I transfered one of my old series 1 boxes.

Of course the cost of a Series 2 was much higher then ($250?). You could pray that they would do that again.

You should remember though: The DVD Writer tivo has "Tivo Basic" which is a limited Tivo service that doesn't require ANY subscription. I think it even includes 3 days of guide data. (I think you also get 1 or 2 weeks of "free" Tivo service in order to tease you into buying the service).

There is ANOTHER WAY to transfer your lifetime service to a series 2:

-- Sell your LIFETIME Series 1 box on Ebay. These boxes, since they have a $300 lifetime value on them, can usually fetch at least $300. Use the money raised to offset the price on a new lifetime service.

Just do a ebay search on "completed auctions" in order to get a good idea of the what the current Series 1 lifetime boxes are selling for. If you have done an upgrade, then you can probably get if for even more.

List your Blog/moblog/livejournal/blogger acct here: The Official TC Blog/Moblog List!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 05:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SonyPlanet Find more posts by SonyPlanet Add SonyPlanet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

Re: Re: Lifetime service now transferable on TiVo's website

quote:
Originally posted by TivoGeezer
That's not what is says on the website. It saysIt says nothing about transfer to another Tivo with the same model number, although that is probably the case with #1.

The website is not accurate. While the functionality is enabled for the purpose of transferring Lifetime from a malfunctioning unit to a good one, a transfer will still work even if the original unit is fine. In other words, they don't check.

I have spoken with several veterans here who insisted this would not work. When I discovered that it did, I felt it should be known.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider

To some degree it is based on the honor system. You can change the number (as long is the model number is the same) if you want but TiVo is allowing this in lieu of requiring a call to the call center.

If too many people start to abuse this, then they will take it off the site and require a long hold time to do what was a simple web form.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:09 PM
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

quote:
Originally posted by rsnaider
To some degree it is based on the honor system. You can change the number (as long is the model number is the same) if you want but TiVo is allowing this in lieu of requiring a call to the call center.

If too many people start to abuse this, then they will take it off the site and require a long hold time to do what was a simple web form.

I'm not quite sure how one would abuse it, short of reselling Lifetime on Ebay without a unit. And even that wouldn't cause any loss of sales, would it? Well, maybe. I might buy Lifetime from someone on Ebay for $200 instead of from TiVo. So they would lose a sale there. Why would someone sell Lifetime by itself? If the unit was bad and they didn't want to repair it before sale. In which case they could just sell me the unit with Lifetime on it and I could do the transfer myself. Cost of repair would be elminated (or reduced by the cost of a replacement unit), which takes money from people in the TiVo repair business (new motherboards go for $199 on a certain repair site, way more than a complete used S1 on Ebay). By transferring the Lifetime to my good unit without selling the old unit also saves on shipping charges.

But the more I think about it the less of a big deal I think this is.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

This isn't exactly new:

http://archive.tivocommunity.com/ti...33092#post33092

Manage My Account has always worked this way. We want to make it easy for our customers to get their service up and running when their unit has failed and is replaced.

We do monitor usage of this transaction, and have followed up in the past when we detect that there is a violation of the intent of this feature.

Thanks for advertising that this is how it works; we're actually working on putting some paper in the box for replacement units that explains that service should be transferred automatically, but in case there's a problem, customers can use Manage My Account to transfer service.

For the record:

* If you have monthly service, you can transfer your service from any unit to any unit at any time.

* If you have Product Lifetime service, you can transfer your service from any unit to any unit in the FIRST 30 DAYS after you have purchased service *ONLY*.

* If you have Product Lifetime service, you can transfer your service from a defective unit to a replacement unit as long as the model is identical (same manufacturer, same capacity, same revision). This can be done any time.

NOTE: The above transfers only apply to standalone units. You can never transfer service from a standalone unit to a DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo unit or vice versa.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:39 PM
rsnaider

quote:
I'm not quite sure how one would abuse it, short of reselling Lifetime on Ebay without a unit

Actually, what about the person that sells the unit saying it has a Lifetime and has transferred said Lifetime to another box via this feature.

Now you have a buyer who has paid for something only to find out after it connects that the Lifetime is now gone.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Stephen let me ask a question.

I currently have 3 SA tivo's. a 40, a 60 and an 80.

I have lifetime on the 60. I have directv boxes now, so i want to sell 2 of them.

What would the harm be to Tivo if I wanted to transfer my lifetime to the 80? Is it just the hassle factor, or is it something else?

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Smak, basically TiVo has never intended for Product Lifetime to be the lifetime of the subscriber. If our business model allowed customers to transfer service from unit to unit to unit to unit forever, then the old units probably end up sitting in a closet somewhere and after four years (the length of time we amortize product lifetime over), we have costs but no revenue. For every piece of hardware we sell, we either lose money or make no money, so it's very much necessary to the survival of TiVo Inc. that we keep units subscribed to the TiVo service as much as possible.

Bottom line, my recommendation is to go ahead and purchase Product Lifetime on your 80 hour unit, and sell the 60-hour with Product Lifetime. You can probably recover the cost of your Product Lifetime service on the 60 hour unit, plus make a little more on the hardware.

You end up with what you want, and we end up with two subscribers instead of one, which is what we want.

Make sense?

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr on 05-14-2004 at 12:38 AM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 06:31 AM
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

quote:
Originally posted by rsnaider
Actually, what about the person that sells the unit saying it has a Lifetime and has transferred said Lifetime to another box via this feature.

Now you have a buyer who has paid for something only to find out after it connects that the Lifetime is now gone.

That issue is like any Ebay sale issue, misrepresentation of product is fraud. Nothing new there. Even sneakier tho would be if you sell someone a Lifetime unit and then after they leave you positive feedback you transfer the Lifetime to another unit without them knowing. If a buyer isn't wise enough to add the service number to his online password-protected account, this could easily happen. But again, a drop in the bucket on the possibilities of getting burned on Ebay in so many other ways.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 06:39 AM
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Thanks for advertising that this is how it works

You're welcome. I've been with TiVo since 1999. I went from 3 Philips units to 3 Sony standalones to 6 Sony T60s when they first came out in 2000 and put Lifetime on all of them for $199 each. That was $1200 wasted tho as soon after that DirecTV took over the fees and let you pay once and mirror the rest. If I were to sell any of those units, does TiVo and/or DirecTV have a record of my permanent Lifetime status on those units so that someone who buys them would not have to pay DirecTV the TiVo fee?

The reason I felt Lifetime Transfer on the website was new information:

1. Several veteran posters (with thousands of posts) told me flat-out I was wrong, including the guy who runs Weaknees.

2. You made a reference in another thread about how you would pull the feature if it got abused, leaving me with the impression it was a recent change. I stand corrected.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 07:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
* If you have Product Lifetime service, you can transfer your service from a defective unit to a replacement unit as long as the model is identical (same manufacturer, same capacity, same revision). This can be done any time.
Does this cover replacement units shipped from TiVo or does it cover me going out and buying a replacement unit if my TiVo breaks?

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 07:38 PM
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Both.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
6 Sony T60s when they first came out in 2000 and put Lifetime on all of them for $199 each. That was $1200 wasted tho as soon after that DirecTV took over the fees and let you pay once and mirror the rest.

No offense, but it sounds to me like your failure to research cost you that extra $1,000 not a change in policy. DirecTiVo units have always had the ability to mirror their lifetime service onto other units on the same account. In fact Richard (aka TiVolutionary) brought up a discussion about this policy before the DirecTivo units were ever even released to the public.

What you should have done is when you realized your mistake you should have sold all but one of the units with the lifetime service and replaced them with new unsubbed units. This would have allowed you to recoup most, if not all, of your wasted cost.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SonyPlanet is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 09:42 PM
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
No offense, but it sounds to me like your failure to research cost you that extra $1,000 not a change in policy. DirecTiVo units have always had the ability to mirror their lifetime service onto other units on the same account. In fact Richard (aka TiVolutionary) brought up a discussion about this policy before the DirecTivo units were ever even released to the public.

What you should have done is when you realized your mistake you should have sold all but one of the units with the lifetime service and replaced them with new unsubbed units. This would have allowed you to recoup most, if not all, of your wasted cost.

Dan

No offense? Funny, cause I'm offended. As a consumer I don't have to research. TiVo marketing was my research. If I pay for something that I don't need it's fraud on the seller's part.

If an audio/video dealer tells you that you need to buy a $400 pair of high-end DVI cables for an HDTV that only uses component inputs, would that be your fault or the dealer's? What's your response, tough luck, do research next time, sell them on Ebay?

I was led to believe I needed service on ALL the units. DirecTV didn't even know what a TiVo was when I activated them. TiVo service was activated with TiVo. Back then TiVo handled the subscriptions, not DirecTV. DirecTV only handled the satellite service. All they wanted was an access card number. And I was led to believe I needed a sub on every box, just like the standalones. I think you're mistaken.

Last edited by SonyPlanet on 05-14-2004 at 09:48 PM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard

quote:
No offense? Funny, cause I'm offended. As a consumer I don't have to research. TiVo marketing was my research. If I pay for something that I don't need it's fraud on the seller's part.

I assume you are not an attorney and neither am I. I have no idea why you would have paid for lifetime on multiple SAT-T60s but I don't believe if you choose to pay TiVo something that is not necessary, that does not constitute fraud unless TiVo has solicited the payments by fraudulent means. Just you making a mistake and TiVo accepting a check does not constitute fraud. I am surprised that TiVo did not return the payments made in error.

By the way do you still have all the SAT-T60s working?

Chris

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged