TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Green Screen of Death! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wisegoat is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wisegoat Find more posts by Wisegoat Add Wisegoat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wisegoat
TiVoGoat

Angry Green Screen of Death!

Has anyone seen this?

I have been having a problem for about 2 weeks where the TiVo reboots once a day. Pain in the a**. Called BB Costa Mesa to get the ball rolling on a replacement. That was yesterday and they said the would call me when they got more in, probably a week they said. 1st one in has my name on it. They were real cool about it, so we'll see how well the customer service is. And now I am really glad that I started the replacement process.

GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH!

TiVo goes into one of it's mysterious reboots. After a few minutes of the Powering Up screen comes the GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH! It says that a SERIOUS ERROR HAS OCCURRED (caps are theirs, not mine!). It goes on to say that if the unit has not restored itself in 3 hours (Yeah right, like I would have waited that long!) to call an 877 number. I was so po'd that I went outside to have a puff and calm my nerves. I came back 10 minutes later and the (now very familiar) Powering Up screen is on, then the Acquiring Info from Satellite screen, then back to normal like nothing had happened. Did not have to redo Guided Setup or anything and all of my recordings were still there. I had not seen anyone post about the GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH! and I thought I would post my experience here. If anyone else has anything to share, please post. This SU*KS!

Don't give us the bastardized version of TiVo! Give us all of the functionality that it offers!

DirecTV HR10-250 (30hours HD, 200Hours SD)
DirecTV SD-DVR40 (40hours SD)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

This is one common symptom of a failing hard drive. The GSOD is Tivo's attempt to repair its file system.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 04:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

If I were you I'd watch as many programs as I could and then replace it before too long.

The hard drive in my unit started failing about 2 weeks prior to it finally giving out completely...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stanley Rohner is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stanley Rohner Find more posts by Stanley Rohner Add Stanley Rohner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stanley Rohner
Advanced Member

Nice picture dude.

Maybe you scared the TiVo to death.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveHoltam is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveHoltam Find more posts by SteveHoltam Add SteveHoltam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveHoltam

^

LOL :-)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

LOL ^^

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobhuntsman is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobhuntsman Find more posts by bobhuntsman Add bobhuntsman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobhuntsman

I had this symptom about a month ago on my (old) Sony T60. Turns out it was a heat problem.

Make sure your unit has plenty of air to breathe. . .overheating will cause all kinds of problems. Don't shut it up (behind a glass door) in your entertainment center.

irie,
--cap'n bob

Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD RP
HR10-250

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Wisegoat is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wisegoat Find more posts by Wisegoat Add Wisegoat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wisegoat
TiVoGoat

New TiVo is up and running!

I have to admit, I have never had customer service this good, especially from BB. They told me a week for a new TiVo and they called me less than 24 hours later. She is now back in the rack and serving up goodness.

Heat was never a problem with this unit. Always stayed below 42C. It was built in the USofA on May 5, 2004. It had all of the logos.

New one is from Mexico. Forgot to look at the date before racking it, so will have to check the next time I redo wiring.

If you are in SoCal OC, go the to Costa Mesa BB. They have a bunch in the warehouse. You have to go to the Magnolia Home Theatre section and ask one of the sales people in there for it. Go get em!

Here's hoping this Hard Drive is better than the first one!

Don't give us the bastardized version of TiVo! Give us all of the functionality that it offers!

DirecTV HR10-250 (30hours HD, 200Hours SD)
DirecTV SD-DVR40 (40hours SD)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged