TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Digital Cable support (Pace 2000 series) <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
xneilj is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for xneilj Find more posts by xneilj Add xneilj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xneilj
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking Digital Cable support (Pace 2000 series)

This thread is intended for the discussion of TiVo's support for the Pace 2000 series Digital Cable boxes. You can tell which model you have by examining the sticker underneath your set top box.

If you wish to find out about support for other Digital Cable boxes then see:

This thread for discussion of Pace 1000 series.

This thread for discussion of Pace 4000 series in NTL Original areas.

This thread for discussion of Pace 4000 series in ex-C&W or Telewest areas.

At the time of writing I believe that the Pace 2000 series boxes are supported by TiVo but you will need to call TiVo customer services and purchase a special adapter which allows it to control the set top box. This is necessary because the boxes use a non-standard IR protocol. This is the same reason you cannot control these boxes with learning remotes.

Neil.

------------------
See the TiVo UK FAQ at http://www.tivoukfaq.com

Last edited by GarySargent on 10-11-2002 at 10:12 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-12-2001 04:42 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skyhooks

Question

Has anyone had any success with Tivo + Pace Di2000-T + Telewest. I have yet to buy a Tivo because of the problems that I've heard about the Pace and it's IRDA remote control. One of the reasons I want a Tivo is so that I can use my universal remote to change the channel on the Pace, sounds daft but I kinda expected only to have to use 1 remote control for all of my kit.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-13-2001 10:44 AM
Gaspode

Question

Hmmm ... Well we're in Northwood with a 2000 box on TW .. I've ordered the dongle (10 Days ago .. gonna phone up tomorrow and moan). Will let you know if I have any sucess.

Gaspode

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-14-2001 09:03 PM
skyhooks

Talking

Hi Gaspode

Just talked to TW about the fact that I'm only getting a mono signal - apparently they can't provide NICAM, maybe 'sometime in the future'. Looks like I'm going to revert to analogue, progress eh!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2001 09:14 AM
alanrobinson5537

Talking

I've had the dongle + NTL 2000 box working fine.

Alan

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kmusgrave is offline Old Post 05-15-2001 12:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kmusgrave Find more posts by kmusgrave Add kmusgrave to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmusgrave
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by skyhooks:
Just talked to TW about the fact that I'm only getting a mono signal - apparently they can't provide NICAM, maybe 'sometime in the future'.

Digiatl TV is never in NICAM, AFAIK - they use a different method for stereo.

Kevin

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-17-2001 12:51 PM
mjphilli

Talking

I've been lurking for the last couple of months but I wanted to post this to say thanks for all the help this forum has given me in getting my Tivo to cope with the upgrade to Telewest digital (on a Pace 2000 box).

Before the upgrade I did the first bit of a guided set-up to check that Tivo had the digital listings for my Telewest area (Cable London). Having confirmed that (subject to a couple of minor glitches), I ordered my dongle- it arrived two days later- and my Tivo now changes channels on the 2000 series box as well as it did on the analogue one (I'm using the 20004 IR code with the IR leds placed about two inches in front of the middle of box). Stereo is coming through as well.

Thanks again for all the info. Without it I would either be (a) tearing my hair out with a digital box but no dongle or (b) stuck with my analogue box thinking Tivo still couldn't handle digi cable.

Matt

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2001 11:57 AM
novakb

Question

I have been trying to get a pace 2000 box to work with TIVO / NTL digital and am already trying my second dongle. The TIVO support guy on the phone today (I have spoken to many of them now) told me (1) That pace 2000 boxes do not work and are still in beta testing in the US AND (2) that I should use this forum to keep up to date with the developments.

point (1) Seems untrue from what I read on the forum
point (2) Has proven to be very useful

QUESTION: Does a summary of the pace 2000 recommendations exist anywhere?

FEEDBACK FOR THE TIVO FOLKS: I was forced to upgrade from NTL to NTL digital as the analog NTL service was losing support for certain channels one by one. Sky is not an option for my area. Given how hard it is getting digital to work and that more and more customers are going that way, you better improve your customer support for this big time.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2001 12:10 PM
Gaspode

Thumbs up

OK .. using my donngle thay arrived this morning -

Got a PACE 2000 with Telewest .. Seems ok ... Had to fiddle with remote blasters for a little but now working fine.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ALanJay is offline Old Post 05-24-2001 12:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ALanJay Visit ALanJay's homepage! Find more posts by ALanJay Add ALanJay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ALanJay
Advanced Member

Talking

At Mediacast this week Global Communications has a Tivo IR dongle on their stand not sure if this is the one Tivo are supplying on one they are providing generally.
www.globalcom.co.uk

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2001 11:08 AM
novakb

Smile

I found these instructions worked straight away for Pace DI2000 NTL digital cable box.

(1) Install Dongle
(2) hide one IR emitter out of the way completely
(3) other IR emitter on top of the cablebox, immediately above the digital numbers on the right hand side of the panel
(4) chose Pace code 20004 FAST
(5) do not send leading zeros and do not send enter
<FONT COLOR="Navy">Text</FONT c>Text

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2001 01:58 PM
Joss

Angry

I cannot get the dongle to work with the 2000 box ... how do I know whether the dongle/IR emitter is even working?

Does anyone have a picture of where exactly they've placed the emitter?

thanks

- Joss

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2001 02:28 PM
novakb

Talking

the dongles are very low quality. does the light on the dongle go on? Once I followed the instructions above, mine worked with no fiddling. Perhaps you need a new dongle.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2001 04:22 PM
Joss

Talking

Yup, my dongle's power light is on.

I even tried to check if the emitters were working by viewing them through a digital camera... but it seems as though IrDa is out of the camera's sensitivity as the emitters and the Pace remote don't show up .... The TiVo's remote's LEDs glow a nice purple when operating and viewed through the camera .. so the thought was a good one

Maybe NTL will upgrade to a 4000 box? Has anyone tried?

- Joss

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-29-2001 12:55 PM
Joss

Talking

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or am I on my own?

thanks

- Joss

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrianHughes is offline Old Post 05-30-2001 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianHughes Find more posts by BrianHughes Add BrianHughes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianHughes
Pedant sans chapeau.

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Joss:

Maybe NTL will upgrade to a 4000 box? Has anyone tried?

NTL can't change the box to a different model. There are different types of cable network and you have to use the box that matches yours. Apart from the fact that the 4000 codes aren't very reliable yet anyway.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2001 10:42 AM
smellycat

Thumbs up

Just wanted to post a success story for the dongle and a Pace 2000 series STB (Cable London/Telewest area).

Using the 20004 fast code seems to work no probs at all.

I was a bit concerned initially of the build quality of the dongle itself, but hey, it works, so i'm no longer concerned

[This message has been edited by smellycat (edited 06-14-2001).]

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-2001 03:45 PM
iaindunsmore

Question

I will be getting NTL digital cable installed next Monday. I live in Bournemouth and have been told that I will get a Pace DITV 1000 stb. My brother, who lives a mile down the road from me has NTL digital cable and he was given a Pace DITV 2000 stb. There may be a chance that I'll get the Pace DITV 2000 stb and NOT the 1000 series. Will the dongle work on both models or do I need to ask Tivo for a specific type of dongle depending on what series stb I get? I phoned Tivo and they said that the dongle would NOT work on the Pace DITV 2000 stb. Is this true?? Please can anyone help me with more info

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ALanJay is offline Old Post 06-18-2001 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ALanJay Visit ALanJay's homepage! Find more posts by ALanJay Add ALanJay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ALanJay
Advanced Member

A question about the Dongle

Hi,

Does the dongle plug into the IR port or the serial port?

Does it have a power supply?

Thanks

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-19-2001 12:02 PM
smellycat

The dongle plugs into the IR socket on the back of the TiVo, the wired IR emitters then plug into the dongle. It does have its own power supply.

In answer to Iain's question.. see my post a couple up, I've been running a dongle on a Pace 2000 series box without any problems, CS are wrong.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged