TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Digital Cable support (Pace 1000 series) <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
xneilj is offline Old Post 05-02-2001 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for xneilj Find more posts by xneilj Add xneilj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xneilj
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking Digital Cable support (Pace 1000 series)

This thread is intended for the discussion of TiVo's support for the Pace 1000 series Digital Cable boxes. You can tell which model you have by examining the sticker underneath your set top box.

If you wish to find out about support for other Digital Cable boxes then see:

This thread for discussion of Pace 2000 series.

This thread for discussion of Pace 4000 series in NTL Original areas.

This thread for discussion of Pace 4000 series in ex-C&W or Telewest areas.

At the time of writing I believe that Pace 1000 series boxes are supported by TiVo but you will need to call TiVo customer services and purchase a special adapter which allows it to control the set top box. This is necessary because the boxes use a non-standard IR protocol. This is the same reason you cannot control these boxes with learning remotes.

Neil.

------------------
See the TiVo UK FAQ at http://www.tivoukfaq.com

Last edited by GarySargent on 10-11-2002 at 10:11 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 05-06-2001 05:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsdnazz Visit bsdnazz's homepage! Find more posts by bsdnazz Add bsdnazz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsdnazz

Smile

Just to say that our newly arrived TiVo and STB dongle is working with the Pace DiTV1000 Telewest have foist upon us.

We're using the 20004 - fast code and (as per the instructions) no leading zero's or enter.

We're very pleased! Now to program our Pronto...

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-07-2001 09:13 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daskew

Talking

Hi, I am interested in the dongle. What interfaces does it have. I don't own a TIVO, but have been looking for an IR repeater for the PACE 1000 for some time, either external or one that uses the IR repeater port on the pace decoder itslef.

Can you tell me how I can can find some more info on this gadget, give details of the Tivo UK contact.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 05-08-2001 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsdnazz Visit bsdnazz's homepage! Find more posts by bsdnazz Add bsdnazz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsdnazz

Talking

daskew,

The dongle is designed specifically to work with the TiVo. It allows the TiVo to control the Pace DiTV1000 and DiTV2000 series STBs.

There are three 'interfaces':

12v power
plug on lead which connects to the TiVo
socket into which the normal TiVo IR blaster connects.

The TiVo has a 3.5mm (well, it looks like one) socket on the back into which an IR blaster can be connected. An IR blaster is simply an LED on a lead which can be placed in front of an STBs IR receiver to control the STB.

The dongle's plug connects into this socket on the back of the TiVo and the IR blaster connects to a socket on the dongle.

Basically, the dongle translates between a set of codes output by the Tivo and into a set the STB can understand. I sounds like something of a hack but it does at least work.

I don't think it would work without a TiVo.

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deshepherd is offline Old Post 05-09-2001 12:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for deshepherd Find more posts by deshepherd Add deshepherd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deshepherd

Talking

Do you have to already have a Tivo account to order the
dongle? I'm probably about to order a TiVo (for some obscure reasons I can order through Thomson "staff sales" despite not working for or having anything to do with Thomson!) and thus if its possible I'd want to order a dongle at the same time to avoid having to look at a silver box refusing to talk to my telewest STB for longer than necessary!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 05-09-2001 06:10 PM
bsdnazz

Talking

desheperd,

no you don't need to already have a TiVo to order the dongle. I did not order our TiVo until after the dongle had been delivered! I simply rang the Sky customer services line and ordered the dongle, paying by credit card.

Do double check that you have a Pace DiTV1000 STB (or DiTV2000) as the dongle does not work with the DiTV4000 STBs.

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-11-2001 08:09 PM
teresa

Talking

Guy,

I know that you must be busy programming your Pronto for TiVo, but I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me.

I've never seen a proper demo of a TiVo, eg seeing Live TV through it. Could you please comment on the picture quality. At high quality, is it comparable to broadcast quality or do you notice a significant decrease in quality? Does the TiVo keep up with fast action scenes?

Also, does the TiVo pass through the Telewest widescreen switching signal correctly?

I'm dying to get a TiVo as most of my TV viewing is time shifted, but I also desperately want to be able to control the Pace cable box with my Pronto (I have a Pace DiTV1000).

Just out of interest, does the cable box have to be left permanently out of standby, or does the TiVo have a discrete 'On' IrDA code to make sure that the box is switched on when it tries to change channel for a recording.

Thanks and good luck with programming your Pronto,

Teresa

PS Let us know how you get on with the Pronto.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

childe is offline Old Post 06-16-2001 02:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for childe Find more posts by childe Add childe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
childe
Tivoer since 11/2000

I have recently received the dongle for my Telewest 1000 PACE unit. When I opened the package, the dongle was in pieces and had to be reassembled, then disassembled as there was a loose connection. Anyway, its now working, sort of.

The instructions say find the code which works (20004 in my case) and select the fastest speed which works reliably. Unfortunately none of them are exactly reliable, even on Slow. The channel change failures are usually on changing down to a 3 figure code, ie from channel 6 to channel 144. Often one or 2 of the 3 digits will be omitted, so I get maybe channel 1 or channel 44.

I'm using both IR emitters, one placed about 1 inch from the left, the other in the middle. I've tried different positions, and using only 1 emitter, but I still get about 1 failure in every 15 channel changes.

Is this the best I can hope for? If I can't rely on it I'm not sure what use it is, and at £30 its not cheap, especially considering the poor workmanship.

------------------
Eric

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 06-17-2001 01:31 PM
bsdnazz

Hi Teresa!

The TiVo's picture quality is very good. There is some contouring of colours. It is worse than straight digital TV but I don't find it a problem. When watching live TV the AUX button can be used to bypass the TiVo and watch what the STB is outputing. The TiVo is still recording so all the trick functions still work - but they do re-engage the TiVo.

The widescreen switching works well. Our TV (a Sony KV32FX20) usually ends up displaying 4:3 as 14:9 though. I'm not sure if this is TV or TiVo problem. I know the STB had it's software upgraded (in pre TiVo days) so it would
switch the TV into 4:3 correctly. Recordings play back as expected (with the 4:3 14:9 problem). Something like Sex in the City which is 4:3 with with 16:9 ads goes between aspect ratios without issue.

The STB does have to be on all the time as the TiVo does not wake it up. I don't know if there is a discrete On code for the STB. The remote sends out a toggle signal. If the STB is off it will turn on, if on it will turn off. Without a discrete code the TiVo would turn the STB off if it had been left on!

Now that I've got used to the TiVo I'm working on programming the Pronot....

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2001 08:35 PM
teresa

Guy,

I took the plunge and bought TiVo a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't wait for the dongle and got the TiVo before it arrived. However, I found the TiVo really useful even then. Even though I had to manually set the channel on the STB, it was such a relief not to have to mess about with tapes. Now that I've got the dongle and TiVo changes channels on the STB, I'm brilliantly happy.

I don't have any widescreen switching problems at all on my Loewe Xelos TV. It switches fine between 4:3 and 16:9, occasionally going into 14:9 when it detects the black bars.

The sound is fine and I get full Pro Logic surround.

The picture quality is fine and I see little difference between Live TV and Aux Bypass. However, the TiVo seems to struggle with dark areas, particularly on programs such as Star Trek. The cable picture quality isn't brilliant to start with and so the TiVo just exaggerates any artefacts and shows large areas of posterisation. But this is a small price to pay for all the many benefits of having TiVo.

Sometimes when changing channels the TiVo misses, but so far (touch wood) it hasn't missed for a recording.

I absolutely love my TiVo and being able to use my Pronto to control my entire home cinema makes it even better. With help from RemoteCentral.com, I've re-programmed my entire ccf and with a bit of tweaking here and here, I've got a really useful setup.

All I've got to do now, is enjoy my home entertainment system.

Teresa

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2001 09:00 PM
iaindunsmore

I will be getting Ntl digital cable installed in a weeks time. I live in Bournemouth and have been told that i will get a Pace ditv 1000 stb. But my brother has digital and lives a mile down the road and has a Pace ditv 2000 stb. So there might be a chance of getting either. Will the tivo dongle work on both models, or do I need a specific one for either one. Please could anyone help. I phoned Tivo and they said that the dongle would not work on the 2000 model! Is this true?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Johnny_boy is offline Old Post 06-17-2001 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny_boy Visit Johnny_boy's homepage! Find more posts by Johnny_boy Add Johnny_boy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnny_boy

Hi Teresa - glad to see you're happy with the TiVo as a way of controlling the Telewest Box. I was an earlier contributor to your thread on remotecentral - I think it's probably the longest they ever had!

I'm still with analogue cable after discovering that first my Pronto, then my tivo wouldn't control the digital box. That plus the loss of the aerial feed was enough to make me threaten to cancel the whole setup and hence they switched me back!

I know they'll force me back to digital soon but I'll resist as long as I can!

I think you've made the right decision with the tivo - it's a pretty cool toy!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-2001 12:37 PM
BournemouthColin

quote:
Originally posted by iaindunsmore:
I will be getting Ntl digital cable installed in a weeks time. I live in Bournemouth and have been told that i will get a Pace ditv 1000 stb. But my brother has digital and lives a mile down the road and has a Pace ditv 2000 stb. So there might be a chance of getting either. Will the tivo dongle work on both models, or do I need a specific one for either one. Please could anyone help. I phoned Tivo and they said that the dongle would not work on the 2000 model! Is this true?

Nice to know there's another TiVo out there in Bournemouth. I have two Pace digital cable boxes, one is a 1000 and the other a 2000. When I got my dongle originally I could not get it work on either box. On contacting customer support a couple of times they decided to send a new dongle out to me. They told me at the time that it wouldn't work on the 2000. I have it working successfully on the 1000 box but haven't tried it on the 2000.

There have been people who have successfully connected the dongle to the 2000. I suggest you look at the 2000 thread (link at top of this page) I am sure you will find some information there.

Colin

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

childe is offline Old Post 06-18-2001 03:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for childe Find more posts by childe Add childe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
childe
Tivoer since 11/2000

This is my previous posting which served the purpose of bumping this thread up from the depths, but which has otherwise been a bit overlooked.
==========
I have recently received the dongle for my Telewest 1000 PACE unit. When I opened the package, the dongle was in pieces and had to be reassembled, then disassembled as there was a loose connection. Anyway, its now working, sort of.
The instructions say find the code which works (20004 in my case) and select the fastest speed which works reliably. Unfortunately none of them are exactly reliable, even on Slow. The channel change failures are usually on changing down to a 3 figure code, ie from channel 6 to channel 144. Often one or 2 of the 3 digits will be omitted, so I get maybe channel 1 or channel 44.

I'm using both IR emitters, one placed about 1 inch from the left, the other in the middle. I've tried different positions, and using only 1 emitter, but I still get about 1 failure in every 15 channel changes.

Is this the best I can hope for? If I can't rely on it I'm not sure what use it is, and at £30 its not cheap, especially considering the poor workmanship.

==========

Sorry to nag, but does anyone have a view on these points - the dongle continues to be unreliable and I wonder if it is at fault of if I'm using it incorrectly. I'm now using 20004 Fast, but have also tried both Slow and Medium.

------------------
Eric

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 06-18-2001 10:01 PM
bsdnazz

childe, my dongle has worked well from day one. It does occasionally mis-select a channel but I can live with that.

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brettparker is offline Old Post 06-20-2001 04:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettparker Find more posts by brettparker Add brettparker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettparker

Question

This may be slightly off topic but...

With a 1000 box and Tivo, how do I get the full surround sound? Is there an output from the STB? I don't get mine until the weekend, and would rather not spend a week working out how best to wire it up to my Tivo, TV and AV amp!!! Also what's the latest consensus on what codes \ blaster position actually works?

Thanks!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-20-2001 08:21 PM
teresa

I'm also using 20004 Fast and so far have only had one miss on a recording (I missed the first ten minutes of Dallas this morning before I noticed). It occasionally misses while channel surfing, but I can live with that, as long as it continues to be mostly reliable for recordings. I actually spend a lot less time hopping between channels, because I've usually got something recorded to watch.

I use one emitter which is actually placed on the right hand side of the plastic window, just between the green dots and the edge. This side worked much better than the middle or left hand side.

I get brilliant Dolby Pro Logic and all I've done is use the scart connection between TiVo to the TV and audio out from my TV to my AV amp. TiVo also has two audio outputs which can be connected directly to your amp.

Even the widescreen switching works perfectly. Although sometimes the Telewest STB gets stuck into 4:3 mode and I have to go into setup and set it to 16:9 again, even though it is already set to 16:9, but that's a Telewest software problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Teresa

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brettparker is offline Old Post 06-21-2001 11:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettparker Find more posts by brettparker Add brettparker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettparker

thanks teresa..

One other quickie - when I change from my analog to digital box, do I have to do a factory reset, and if so do I lose the stuff I've recorded? Does Tivo keep my season passes, as I assume the channel numbers change?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsdnazz is offline Old Post 06-21-2001 06:31 PM
bsdnazz

teresa,

My Telewest Pace DiTV1000 box also forgets it's been told
it's connected to a 16:9 from time to time.

Easy to correct but still an irritation.

------------------
Guy
4.4 &gt; 5.4

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-02-2001 08:34 PM
teresa

Arrow

Until about a week ago, my emitter was working pretty reliably. However it has started to miss much more often and I have missed about half of my recordings. I have checked the connections and have restarted the TiVo and rebooted the cable box. I still get the problem. The other thing customer services have suggested is to swap the scart cables around. I'm not sure how this can affect the infra red emitter, but I'll try that next just so that I can say that I've tried it when I next ring them. I've also tried swapping the emitters and using both together.

This problem is getting me down as I love my TiVo, but it's nowhere near as useful if it can't change channels on the cable box. I don't want to have to be around for the start of each recording.

Have I got a duff cable adapter, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Teresa

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged