TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Step right up! Claim yer rank! <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lori Visit Lori's homepage! Find more posts by Lori Add Lori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lori
TiVo Goddess

Step right up! Claim yer rank!

I’m sad.

With the demise of the Coffee House Archive went the rules for assigning ranks in the TiVo Army. See, there used to be another post called “Step right up! Claim yer rank!” that I would point folks to when they asked about how they, too, could join the TiVo Army.

However, since they were my rules to begin with, I am going to try to recreate them from memory, and if I get it a little wrong, well, hey—they were my rules, after all!

First, some background. A while back (a W H I L E back), Richard told a story about how the folks at TiVo used to tease him about us, calling us “Bullwinkle’s Army”. I thought that that was great and used it as a jumping off point for the “TiVo Army” concept here.

What the TiVo Army is is a group of hardcore volunteer evangelists. We are the folks that do not miss an opportunity, ever, to tell someone about the way that TiVo has changed our lives. We testify at the drop of a hat. Our friends and family think we’re nuts, our coworkers call us things like “TiVo Girl” or “Mr. TiVo”. We hang out in electronics stores, waiting for someone to ask a question so that we can tell them why, exactly, that UTV isn’t as good a deal as it seems or what, exactly, Macrovision will mean to them in the VERY near future if they don’t put down the Showstopper.

We love TiVo.

We aren’t a bunch of sycophantic, boot-licking toadies, though. When TiVo is off the mark, we’ll raise the roof. We are quick to ask for improvement and to demand that something that’s broken get fixed. We want the company to succeed, yes, but we want it to be a good company even more.

Now, there are some folks that are sycophantic, boot-licking toadies. They troll other boards blindly extolling TiVo’s virtues and trolling for olives…er, fights. They are not we. We are not they. Those that confuse the toadies with the “TiVo Army” do us a disservice.

Now, on to the ranks! Ranks have always been based on post count, with a couple of exceptions. I know that it’s not the most scientific way of doing things, especially since a good “test” thread can get you promoted, but it’s all we have.

First, there is only one Admiral in this man’s Army and that’s the Bullwinkle himself. And yes, we know—if this were a real army, there wouldn’t be admirals. But it’s not and he is and that’s all.

JAB is our other ranking officer. We made him a General out of the gate. ‘nuff said.

I’m not sure what rank I gave them, but mschwab and dmaneyapanda got some sort of honorary rank, too, cause they were, at the time, the posters with the mosters. And mshhwab did the tivofaq.

For the rest of us, I think it goes something like this (or, at least, it does now ):

0-19 Private
20-199 Lieutenant
200-499 Captain
500-999 Major
1000+ Lt. Colonel
5000+ Colonel

That is all.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB

Last edited by Lori on 12-22-2001 at 02:06 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for linh Find more posts by linh Add linh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
linh
TiVo Forum Special Member

Heh heh. I outrank you!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Flogduh is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Flogduh Find more posts by Flogduh Add Flogduh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flogduh

Ooooo, I'm a Captain....Almost a Major...would that make me a Major-Captain or a Captain-Major??? (Go ahead, fire away, call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner...)

I still like Gran Poo Bah...of the Order of Waterbuffalos.....

Hitachi 57G500 HDRPTV, Sony Sat T-60 since 3/12/01 (108 hrs), Philips DSR6000R since 6/15/01 (35 hrs), Hughes HDVR2 since 12/13/02 (69 hrs), Philips DSR704 since 2/14/04 (35 hrs), Samsung SIR T360 since 2/24/04, another Philips DSR704 since 4/30/04 (35 hrs)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DJRobX is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRobX Find more posts by DJRobX Add DJRobX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

At the rate I post, it looks like I'm forever going to be a Lt. Colonel

-- Rob

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for modnar Find more posts by modnar Add modnar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
modnar

quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX
At the rate I post, it looks like I'm forever going to be a Lt. Colonel

-- Rob

Same here. It'll be a while before I am promoted again.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for linh Find more posts by linh Add linh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
linh

Since Dan203 and Otto and have more than 5000, I guess that would them generals. I wouldn't mind that

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lori Visit Lori's homepage! Find more posts by Lori Add Lori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lori
TiVo Goddess

quote:
Originally posted by linhpham2
Since Dan203 and Otto and have more than 5000, I guess that would them generals. I wouldn't mind that

Nope. 5000+ makes you a Colonel.

JAB is the only General. I think that's fair, don't you?

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:27 AM
linh

Um. Why? I'm not really familiar with everyone. I thought Tivolutionary and Tivo Store would be our supreme leaders or de facto cabinet members.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:27 AM
Lori
TiVo Goddess

Now, Linh.

quote:
Heh heh. I outrank you!

Let's not get *too* full of ourselves, shall we? After all, Lt. Colonel *may* outrank Major...but Moderator *definitely* outranks Goat Herder.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:30 AM
Lori
TiVo Goddess

Ummmm...because he rocks the house?

quote:
Um. Why? I'm not really familiar with everyone.

Read the JAB entry in the FAQ. Should tell you what you need to know.

Anyone want to step in and give a little JAB testimony for Linh?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:32 AM
Lori
TiVo Goddess

quote:
Um. Why? I'm not really familiar with everyone. I thought Tivolutionary and Tivo Store would be our supreme leaders or de facto cabinet members.

Well, TiVolutionary is, as stated, the Admiral on the TiVo Army and really is its commander in chief.

TiVo Store is, well, a store.

JAB is the man. Really, he is.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:34 AM
linh

Ok. I found JAB's entry in the FAQ. I soo embarassed.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by Lori
Nope. 5000+ makes you a Colonel.

JAB is the only General. I think that's fair, don't you?

Well, I'm declaring myself Supreme High Commander. So nyahhhh!

What did you expect from the Underground Rebels, eh?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:50 AM
Lori
TiVo Goddess

Could you *make* up your mind?

I thought you were the Zenmaster.

Sheesh.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

loopey is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for loopey Find more posts by loopey Add loopey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loopey

quote:
Ok. I found JAB's entry in the FAQ. I soo embarassed.

I wouldn't mess with Lori, she made the rules and she can demote you, Private!

I'm a major. Major smartass that is.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJ is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJ Find more posts by JJ Add JJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJ
TiVoPlantation Owner

While I can accept being but a lowly Captain. My wife is the only Admiral around here.

GO Otto! Revolution in the palace! Cast off the bourgious titles and rise in TiVolution madness.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mschwab is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 03:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mschwab Visit mschwab's homepage! Find more posts by mschwab Add mschwab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mschwab

Talking

Well, you made me an honorary Colonel way back when, but I'm pretty sure I was an official Colonel when I made 1,000 posts! Now you've raised the bar quite a bit, but I guess with so many approaching 10,000 posts we have to skew the scale some more!

And are you saying the all the Archive threads are gone again? I guess that means there's a bunch of broken threads in the FAQ, eh?

Last edited by mschwab on 12-22-2001 at 03:29 AM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoDaddy is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 03:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoDaddy Find more posts by TivoDaddy Add TivoDaddy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoDaddy
The Phantom Spitter

Cool

Kewl!! I sound like a superhero: Captain Tivo.....Daddy (eewww...I should drop the Daddy) to the rescue!!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 04:41 AM
Lori
TiVo Goddess

quote:
Originally posted by mschwab
Well, you made me an honorary Colonel way back when, but I'm pretty sure I was an official Colonel when I made 1,000 posts! Now you've raised the bar quite a bit, but I guess with so many approaching 10,000 posts we have to skew the scale some more!

And are you saying the all the Archive threads are gone again? I guess that means there's a bunch of broken threads in the FAQ, eh?

Yeah, according to David, the whole archive is gone, looks like for good this time.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drmcm is offline Old Post 12-22-2001 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drmcm Visit drmcm's homepage! Find more posts by drmcm Add drmcm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drmcm

quote:
Originally posted by Lori
Yeah, according to David, the whole archive is gone, looks like for good this time.

Terribly sad. That archive was great for finding old ideas that keep resurfacing, and just plain ol' nostalgia (like the TiVo army). I would bet good money that if it's simply a server issue, someone out here would have some server space to stick just the archive on.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged