TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Cordless telephone extension socket <<<

Pages (14): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Darren Lewis is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 03:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Lewis Find more posts by Darren Lewis Add Darren Lewis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Lewis

Cordless telephone extension socket

Now that I've got my new TIVO I need to sort out the phone line. Does anybody know where I can get a DECT cordless extension socket? This woould enable me to hook the TIVO up to my exisiting cordless phone and get rid of the wire trailing across the room.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You can buy them from The Link etc, but be warned - I never got the TiVo to talk to mine properly and ended up reverting to a very long wire!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brookheather is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 04:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brookheather Visit brookheather's homepage! Find more posts by brookheather Add brookheather to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brookheather
Member since 10/00

Be aware that the Tivo user manual specifically warns you that it is not compatible with a wireless phone connection.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Norton is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 04:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Norton Find more posts by Mark Norton Add Mark Norton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Norton

I bought two BT (Siemens) DECT cordless sockets but there has mixed success using them according to people on this board.

They are primarily intended for corded analogue devices like answer machines, corded phones and faxes and for these devices, they work fine.

I use the Phonex gizmo from Suzo International (£50 + shipping + VAT) which works perfectly. You need to connect both ends to the same ring for best results.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan
TiVo Forum Special Member

I would install / get installed a real BT phone jack in reach of your TiVo's phone cord for guaranteed results.

You will also be ready for when you get a Sky Digital box

Automan.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tony Gamble is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Gamble Find more posts by Tony Gamble Add Tony Gamble to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Gamble

My BT Diverse DECT was a failure with both Sky and TiVo.

I bought the Tomson device that works through the room mains and it works perfectly with the TiVo.

There are earlier threads on this one.

Tony

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darren Lewis is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Lewis Find more posts by Darren Lewis Add Darren Lewis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Lewis

Thanks for the help. Fitting an extension is too much hassle as I'd have to move eveything and pull up the carpets - bad enough when I fitted the surround speakers.
I'm on NTL digital which works perfectly with TIVO using an adaptor for the IR transmitter

The Phonex Easyjack system that Thompson make seems to be what I need. I'll have a look around town tomorrow.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-08-2002 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

quote:
Originally posted by brookheather
Be aware that the Tivo user manual specifically warns you that it is not compatible with a wireless phone connection.

I would repeat the same and it can't be stressed enough. Both the manual and the on-screen help tells you NOT to use wireless phone connections. If you can get it to work temporarily, fine, but do not rely on it as a permanent solution.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darren Lewis is offline Old Post 02-09-2002 12:30 PM
Darren Lewis

Well, I went to The Link this morning and they said that the Thompson mains telephone adaptor has been recalled - could only get a slow speed for modems etc. I noticed too that Argos has stopped selling it

Back to the drawing board then.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-09-2002 02:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

The solution which is guranteed to work is use a physical cable. Sorry!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Norton is offline Old Post 02-09-2002 05:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Norton Find more posts by Mark Norton Add Mark Norton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Norton

Why all this negativism? The manual also states that you shouldn't remove the top cover but we do, for good reason. The only reason Tivo don't endorse use of cordless phone connections is because it's a potential source of problems which would increase their support load.

With the Phonex adapter, the Tivo doesn't know/care whether it's talking to a real phone line or something that just looks like one. I've had not one minute of trouble with the Phonex adapters from Suzo, it works fine and the only thing you need to do is make sure you do not connect through something which filters RF, for example, some types of multi-way socket.

Checkout the manufacturer's web-site at www.phonex.com.

BTW, I don't believe the one sold by Thomson is the Phonex adapter.

If you don't want to buy a Phonex, then CPC in Preston also list one in their catalogue but I haven't tried it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-09-2002 06:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Suggest you take the hint and not buy a cordless line "soon"...

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-10-2002 01:54 PM
mrtickle
hatted

Indeed

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Norton is offline Old Post 02-10-2002 09:34 PM
Mark Norton

Not sure what is going on here. I have 2 Tivos, both using the Phonex adapter, both work perfectly. I cannot see any reference in the manual or the on screen problem determination warning not to use these things, so maybe Mr Tickle and Gary know something about the future which I don't. Suffice it to say it works fine on the current release (6021/6023 1.52)

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-10-2002 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Yes you are right it works fine on the current release.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Norton is offline Old Post 02-10-2002 09:42 PM
Mark Norton

From which I infer that something is coming in 2.5 which will break this functionality....

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 02-11-2002 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Hmm, you *could* interpret it that way I suppose

Rgds,

R.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

coops is offline Old Post 02-11-2002 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for coops Find more posts by coops Add coops to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coops
Excused Boots

Wink

And we all know what Gary's "soon" means.

Paul

(user since OCT 2000 and she still says its the best gadget I've ever bought)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stu55y is offline Old Post 02-11-2002 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stu55y Find more posts by stu55y Add stu55y to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stu55y

er?

Sorry for coming over very naive, but as a new TiVo owner, I am also new to this forum.

Could anybody let me know in the slightest way what people are nudging and winking at each other about in this thread?

What's going to happen soon other than a software update? I dont see why that would impact on how the unit dials up....

Stu55y

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-11-2002 12:33 PM
mrtickle
hatted

The modem is controlled by the software, so any new software might have different init strings sent to the modem for V90 etc. So these cordless extensions which work with the 1.5.2 modem settings could suddenly stop working when the new software is being used.

HTH!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged