TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Give me a push <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jwestoby is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 09:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwestoby Visit jwestoby's homepage! Find more posts by jwestoby Add jwestoby to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwestoby

Give me a push

Long post, feel free to ignore.

OK, I've been around for a while. I've got a [80GB] Sky+ box and basically it's great.

There's the problem, basically.

It costs £10 per month and I hate having ongoing deductions.It won't find anything I don't tell it to. I can only program it a week in advance.

TiVo (I know, esp. with 2.5.5) will find all "This Old House" and record them etc. and fill up the disk with even more junk!

I've also got satellite [EchoStar] which I occasionally watch and record (don't ask). These go through a Quattro switch (DVD goes direct to TV).

Do I care enough about DolbyDigital sound on recordings (I know I can buy a film and use the Sky+ with it's DD output at the time). Do I care about the 'degradation' of encrypted pictures (I've NEVER seen TiVo output).

But a TiV0 I'd have to upgrade (memory & disk, maybe the ToVoNet too) - I'm too geeky to leave it alone (ask SteveUK, we work together). I couldn't do it for a year either, some TiVo's have gone bang shortly after being bought (not saying they are worse than anything else).

I've thought about using a PC too, but that's just more admin I can do without. I have no (READ ZERO!) interest in burning DVD's, I buy them if I want them that much (Final Fantasy - wonderful to watch, must get bigger than 32" Wega - plasma/projector?).

So, I'm wavering.

Sky+ -
+ Dolby Digital on film recordings
+ Ease of use
- £10 per month
- Entering same program week after week
- Satellite goes to VCR only

TiVo-
+ One-off cost (unless lifetime subs disappear)
+ Season passes and the like
+ Record satellite system?
- ALL TV is encoded/decoded
- Upgrade 'costs'

Ye gods, it's only TV how much DO I care?

My spouse is happy either way (see some of them DO understand) but I'm still trying to jump.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 10:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Hey we love to see Sky+ people seeing the light - come and join our club - you won't regret it!

I'm running the new TiVo software - and I'd rate it TWICE as good as the old software!

Forget Sky Box office in Dolby Digital - rent DVD's and get higher quality picture and sound. In any case you could keep the Sky+ box and cancel the subscription - you'd have a normal Sky box that receives Dolby Digital still

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Olly is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 10:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Olly Find more posts by Olly Add Olly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Olly

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent
Forget Sky Box office in Dolby Digital - rent DVD's and get higher quality picture and sound. In any case you could keep the Sky+ box and cancel the subscription - you'd have a normal Sky box that receives Dolby Digital still
And you could use it's hard drive to upgrade your TiVo!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyjenkins is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 11:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyjenkins Find more posts by andyjenkins Add andyjenkins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyjenkins

I heard there's some special coding in the MBR of the Sky+ HDD's that if it detects TiVo chips on the PCB it's self destructs

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 11:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

quote:
Originally posted by Olly
And you could use it's hard drive to upgrade your TiVo!

Now there's a good idea! You have no excuse for not upgrading to TiVo now!

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pr1uk is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 12:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pr1uk Find more posts by pr1uk Add pr1uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pr1uk
Advanced Member

a push -- YES
get a TiVo with life time subs and enjoy it.

then you can record what you want as well and not have Sky telling you that program is PPV and cannot be recorded (it does now happen) or that the film can only be watched for 24 hours once paid for then it deletes itself.

mind you with two TiVi i am a little bias hehehe.

Peter

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwestoby is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 02:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwestoby Visit jwestoby's homepage! Find more posts by jwestoby Add jwestoby to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwestoby

OK, it's money but I'm not overly poor so -

Where do I get one from?

I don't want to buy from MrTonks, purely because I'd want a 6023 model. (seems a bit silly getting something with the knowledge that it has a [NICAM] problem and it would have to go away!)

Also when is worth upgrading? Too soon and it could fail, leave it late and I'll run out of space. (That said, there's never much on the Sky+, I think I got it up to a max of 15 hours - we're AWFULLY picky!)

Nearer the time I'll badger you lot about where to get 120GB or whatever drives

Only hard part is I have to run Sky+ and the TiV0 until the Beeb get around to finishing Buffy and we can start watching the next season!

Oh well, Sky can get a few more tenners off me for a while...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 04:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

The next cheapest place to buy from is........

www.empiredirect.co.uk

£239.9? + £7 delivery.

However, remember that the NICAM issue is only for some people, only if recording from an RF terrestrial source. If you use Sky or any STB that also provides the terrestrial channels as part of its standard output you will NEVER have the problem. Plus you will save yourself £50 in the bargain.

Plus if you are *really* worried about the NICAM issue, TiVo will fix it for free. I'd still say that is worth saving fifty quid.

Of course YMMV.

Rgds,

R.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ozsat is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 04:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ozsat Find more posts by ozsat Add ozsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent
Hey we love to see Sky+ people seeing the light - come and join our club - you won't regret it!

I'm running the new TiVo software - and I'd rate it TWICE as good as the old software!

You can even buy PPV football on Sky - and watch it later with TiVo

Or watch a bit of PPV today - and the rest in more than 24 hours time

Or record PPV today and watch it sometime in the future - it doesn't have to be this week!

Last edited by ozsat on 02-16-2002 at 01:14 PM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

catfud is offline Old Post 02-15-2002 04:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for catfud Find more posts by catfud Add catfud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
catfud

Save some money buying Tivo and buy a new a/v amp with pro-logic II and enjoy (almost ) as good 5.1 sound. It really is the the dogs whatsits.
(Got a Kenwood 110wpc, dd II, THX select amp from richer sounds for £249!)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 12:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

definate agreement about Dolby Pro Logic II, haven't heard Tivo + DPL I but the new II is amazing for just a broadcast signal.

stuart

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ken Jude is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 01:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ken Jude Find more posts by Ken Jude Add Ken Jude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ken Jude

If you're in Potters Bar why not go along to John Lewis in WGC (they had one on theshelf in there this morning) and get them to price match (to Curry's £229) and get the advantage of the 2 year warranty.

Ken

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 02:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doubledrat Find more posts by doubledrat Add doubledrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubledrat
Can't re Member

just my 2p

don't bother with dd5.1 on sky+ - it'll only be on (some) films for the forseeable future. rent dvds from www.dvdboxoffice.com it costs the same as $ky box office (2.99), but you get the film posted to you and you keep it for a whole week before posting it back (free).

I think you can keep $ky+ without paying the tenner a month, you just won't be able to record.

150gb tivo with SOFT PADDING :D
>160 season passes, cachecard+net, tivoweb

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Restorer is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 03:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Restorer Find more posts by Restorer Add Restorer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Restorer

quote:
Originally posted by doubledrat
rent dvds from [url]www.dvdboxoffice.com

I take it this is a slip. Is there a uk rental site with a similar name?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dcpc is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcpc Find more posts by dcpc Add dcpc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcpc
Dismember

quote:
Originally posted by Restorer

I find http://www.movietrak.com a useful UK based service.

cheers
dc

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

okonski_uk is offline Old Post 02-16-2002 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for okonski_uk Find more posts by okonski_uk Add okonski_uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
okonski_uk
Decrepit Member

quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis
The next cheapest place to buy from is.......
www.empiredirect.co.uk
£239.9? + £7 delivery.R.

Only if you've fallen asleep at the back! Currys have them for £227 and no delivery charge if you visit their store.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doubledrat Find more posts by doubledrat Add doubledrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubledrat
Can't re Member

quote:
Originally posted by Restorer

oops, sorry, it's www.dvdOPTIONS.com

150gb tivo with SOFT PADDING :D
>160 season passes, cachecard+net, tivoweb

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pr1uk is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 10:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pr1uk Find more posts by pr1uk Add pr1uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pr1uk
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by sjp
definate agreement about Dolby Pro Logic II, haven't heard Tivo + DPL I but the new II is amazing for just a broadcast signal.

stuart

sounds like pro logic 11 is good then i hope so i have made my mind up to get myself a Marantz SR5200 with logic 11 and it also runs an extra rear speaker. bit of tweeting with accounts and i should have one in march.

also agree with doubledrat forget the sky+ get a TiVo life subs and a good amp and why not a pro logic 11 if funds permit. also now TiVo is even better with the 2.5.5 software "believe me" much better.

Peter

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 12:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thumbs up Can definitely recommend Pro Logic II ...

quote:
Originally posted by sjp

stuart

Yes. I use a Denon 1802 with Dolby Pro Logc II. Unlike normal Pro Logic, this has full-frequency rear channels - so, as with digital 5.1, a proper set of rear speakers is recommended. I use the KEF KHT 2005, which have great-looking (and sounding) silver egg speakers.

A good home theatre set-up will improve non-digital surround sound considerably, because of the balanced front and rear speakers. If the speakers are not balanced, then sound positioned between the front and rear will be inaccurately spread according to the frequency.

Dolby Pro Logic II makes good use of a proper home theatre set-up.

Ian.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ndunlavey is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 04:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ndunlavey Find more posts by ndunlavey Add ndunlavey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

I'm considering junking my TiVo and getting Sky+ instead, partly because TiVo is so unreliable changing channels on the Sky STB (around 70% successrate) and partly because I can record and watch at the same time with Sky+.

However, I saw a comment further up this thread that with Sky+ you have to enter the same programme every week - does that mean that Sky+ doesn't have a feature like TiVo's season pass?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged