TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> anyone use s-vid <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doubledrat Find more posts by doubledrat Add doubledrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubledrat
Can't re Member

anyone use s-vid?

anyone use s-vid to watch their tivo. Presumably via an rgb to s-vid converter?

is so, does the widescreen switching still work? or did you have to do something special to get it to work?

150gb tivo with SOFT PADDING :D
>160 season passes, cachecard+net, tivoweb

Last edited by doubledrat on 02-17-2002 at 09:59 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Restorer is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Restorer Find more posts by Restorer Add Restorer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Restorer

I use an rgb to svideo converter to take Tivo to my svhs vcr. I watch Tivo through this every now and then on shows I find the colour overpowering - Smallville is a good recent example. The widescreen switching signal is not passed.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doubledrat Find more posts by doubledrat Add doubledrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubledrat
Can't re Member

arse

which rgb to s-vid converter have you got? do you suppose there are any that will widescreen switch? I thought that the wss signal was on one of the picture lines?

Anyone got any ideas?

It's a real pain for me to switch screen sizes manually, because my tosh does not have discrete codes for setting the screen ratio (for anything actually) . this means I have to cycle through the 8 or so different ratios to get the one I want - not terribly convenient.

(I can't use scart, it has to be s-vid, because I'm switching several sources, and all I can switch is s-vid - unless of course any of you know of a remote controlled scart switch unit...)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 01:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Bob,

How about the switches here they seem to be pretty much what you want.....

Rgds,

R.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Restorer is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 01:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Restorer Find more posts by Restorer Add Restorer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Restorer

It's not the converter that blocks the switching - it's the fact it's routed through the vcr. The converter itself (from rgbtosvideo.com) passes the signal fine (I think). Sorry if mislead you.

Last edited by Restorer on 02-17-2002 at 03:53 PM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 01:44 PM
doubledrat
Can't re Member

quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis
Bob,

How about the switches here they seem to be pretty much what you want.....

Rgds,

R.

Rob
that looks good. do you have one? does it work from tivo to s-vid with wide screen switching? the rgb to s-vid converter alone is more expensive than that box, so if it does, it looks great!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Bob,

I'm sorry, I don't have one, just found it on a search.

Rgds,

R.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 02:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

BEWARE! Reports from people who have purchased the Quatro on this forum are that is does NOT pass through the widescreen switching info on pin 8...

EDIT: In fact it says so in the bottom right of the diagram under the rear pannel diagram: "Please note that the Quattro+ does not support automatic widescreen switching".

Can't understand why they did that. I seem to recall about a year back that someone in this forum managed to modify one so that it did support widescreen switching.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Restorer is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 03:52 PM
Restorer

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent
seem to recall about a year back that someone in this forum managed to modify one so that it did support widescreen switching.

Gary can you recall any details? I was very disappointed, having forked out the best part of £80, to find this when the £10 manual scart switch from the same company handles the w/s signal no problem. I managed to find a number for BTech who used some lame excuse about widescreen tv's not being very common when the Quattro was designed and said it could not be modified.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 04:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

It was TiVoMad who developed some hack to support widescreen in the Quattro - see this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=28289

I'd certainly pay for an add-on kit or complete Quattro with widescreen solution...

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Restorer is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 05:11 PM
Restorer

Well this sounds promising - I'll try to contact Tivomad to see if it ever got anywhere.

And Doubledrat, sorry, I just looked again at the rgb to svideo converter - the output is via svideo socket and 2 phonos not scart so it can't do pin8 switching but i believe the Tivo does line 23 switching as well so this should work - best check first though with John Sim who is always very helpful.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 05:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

Yes, TiVo produces both line23 WSS and scart pin8 switching when it is playing back a recording.
When the recording is made the widescreen state is sampled every I-frame, and stored in a separate stream (along with macrovision state, etc). On playback this information is used to create a line23 WSS and scart pin8 info for every frame.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mango is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mango Find more posts by Mango Add Mango to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mango

Hmm, me too would like TiVoMads info. Can someone let me know if you find out? If sent him a PM but Im unsure he has it activated.

Currently I've soldered a wire directly from pin8 on one scart in to pin8 on the output and desoldered the link to the Quattro. Works fine but only for one of the inputs which is my Sky dig box (most viewed bit of kit).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan
TiVo Forum Special Member

I got one of those rgb to s-video devices from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com about a year ago.

Worked well but no widescreen switching

I did email them at that time and I recall they were planning to add this. However no mention of any such switching at the web site so I suspect not.

I also have a Quatro unit in my bedroom linked to a 28" 4:3 TV and thus it's inability to widescreen switch is not a problem.

I assume this is because it generates it own pin 8 voltage but as MrTickle says TiVo uses line23 as well so perhaps it would the this data through.

However even if it does it would be no good to me as Sky boxes don't use line 23 and rely on the variable scart pin 8 voltage.

Thus on my TV I have Sky+ on AV1 (RGB), TiVo on AV2 (Composite) and my DVD/VCR/AMP on AV4 (S-Video).

Automan.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 06:50 PM
GarySargent

quote:
Originally posted by Automan
I assume this is because it generates it own pin 8 voltage but as MrTickle says TiVo uses line23 as well so perhaps it would the this data through.

However even if it does it would be no good to me as Sky boxes don't use line 23 and rely on the variable scart pin 8 voltage.

Even though the Sky box only outputs pin 8 widescreen info, TiVo converts this and outputs both pin 8 and line 23 widescreen info.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mango is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mango Find more posts by Mango Add Mango to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mango

Hehe, now how about a request to TiVo to make it control the Quattro eh?

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent

Even though the Sky box only outputs pin 8 widescreen info, TiVo converts this and outputs both pin 8 and line 23 widescreen info.

Indeed. Thought that's what I'd said! Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doubledrat is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 10:02 PM
doubledrat
Can't re Member

do any of you have a very long "scart" lead then? I'm trying to send the signal 10-15 metres.

Any experience? Does the scart signal degrade over this distance?

I too would be interested in tivomad's mod if I can get what I need from this box... I think an rgb signal should be better than an s-vid one anyway.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PaulCaden is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PaulCaden Find more posts by PaulCaden Add PaulCaden to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PaulCaden

quote:
Originally posted by Automan
I got one of those rgb to s-video devices from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com about a year ago.

Worked well but no widescreen switching ...

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and it widescreen switches no problem and the picture is superb.

Well recommended.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

semtex is offline Old Post 02-17-2002 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for semtex Visit semtex's homepage! Find more posts by semtex Add semtex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
semtex

I read somewhere that the TiVo SCART is actually wired for S-Video, but it hadn't been implemented in the software.

If that's the case, has anyone 'patched' the software to add this capability?

Ian

120Gb TiVo, 32Mb RAM, Pace Digibox, NTL Cable

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged