TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Help!!! - Disk upgrade disaster <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-06-2002 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for groovyclam Find more posts by groovyclam Add groovyclam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groovyclam

Help!!! - Disk upgrade disaster

Help. I'm really fed up.

I've been adding a new 120G maxtor to an exisiting 30G+15G TiVo for the last three days now with various levels of success.

My backup was done of my 2.5.5 system using 1.1 of mfstools with the -s option to divorce the drives - I loaded it onto my 120G first and it booted and I went into a few screens - things seemed ok.

I then went onto restore it again to my 30G and TiVoMAD/bless the new 120G as B.

This seemed to work ok until overnight things started going wrong as detailed in this thread

I suspected a swap problem so today I did a restore to my 120 drive and TiVoMAD-ed it as a single drive to see how it faired on it's own.

After the boot up I went through a new guided setup and things went ok to the point of downloading and indexing all the listings.
I could see and choose programmes via the guide, and via the time or channel picker.

A problem happened however when I went to the "choose programmes by title" menu.

After choosing what genre - the TiVo just puts up a blank blue sky screen, no letter picker, no messages, nothing. I rebooted and got a screen that now had a letter picker but none of the usual black bits appeared in the screen. I could enter letters and choose programmes but the screen is obviously a bit sick.

Frustrated I started yet again and restored to just my 30G to see if my backup was working. Result - same problem in letter picker screen!!!

How can this be ?!! I at least had a working system on the first attempt although it seemed to be short on swap.

Totally peed off I've just restored to 120A and 30B again and I still have the letter picker problem.

My only straw I am clutching at is that when powering up after the restore the A disk is doing lots of disk access - I am wondering if it is indexing the programme data immediately after a restore. Does the title-picker screen behave badly like this whilst indexing is going on ? My disk has stopped making loads of disk access sounds now, and the problem still exists.

I am so fed up. I am going to have one last attempt at restoring to my original 30+15 drives before going to bed.

Rob - if you are there - do you have any suggestions ?

Also has anyone added a 120G to an existing drive under UK 2.5.5 successfully ?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-06-2002 10:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Hmm this could be a problem for all UK upgraders.

Did you do the mfstools backup on V2.5.5?

This included a new MPEG background on the alphabet screen with the Sky Digital banner removed. This would most likely have a high object ID and I think mfstools would have scrapped it!

Also did you use mfstools V1.1?

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-06-2002 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Exclamation WARNING

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent
Hmm this could be a problem for all UK upgraders.

Did you do the mfstools backup on V2.5.5?

This included a new MPEG background on the alphabet screen with the Sky Digital banner removed. This would most likely have a high object ID and I think mfstools would have scrapped it!

Also did you use mfstools V1.1?

I have seen the problem here too. I think for the moment we will need to revert to 1.5.2 MFStools backups and then let the upgrade to 2.5.5 happen again.

I have a backup exhibiting this behaviour, I will e-mail Tiger tomorrow. I suspect it will take some time to sort this out. In the meanwhile I have a good 30GB 1.5.2 backup available. e-mail me rob.bellis@up4it.com for further details.

Rgds,

R.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-06-2002 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

TiVo will not take kindly to people upgrading multiple times to V2.5.5.

We should be able to use one of these two mfstools advanced options - probably the latter:

-f N
When macking the backup, include ALL streams (Videos) whos fsid is below N. Most TiVos only require certain recordings for background animations. Since these are so large, they are not included in software updates. As a result, they all have very low fsids. On TiVos that I have seen, this is below 2000. In fact, 2000 is the default for this option.

-l N
Another way to find which streams need to be backed up is by size. This will cause any stream less than N megs in size to be backed up. A value of 32 or 64 should be big enough. This overrides the -f option.

RobBellis - I'd suggest you ask Tiger which value we could use as a workaround.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for groovyclam Find more posts by groovyclam Add groovyclam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groovyclam

To answer some questions:

Yes, my TiVo was already at 2.5.5 when I did the backup with mfstools 1.1 and restored this backup with 1.1.

I used TiVoMAD 3.2 to do the expansion/bless step.

=================

I'm still awake after 16 hours of TiVo disk swapping and restores and totally knackered but with a working TiVo ( touch wood )

I restored my 2.5.5 image to my original 30+15 disks and was horrified to see a Green "You have a f**ked system - leave it plugged in for 24 hours" Screen.

Totally despondent I went to get some nosh and explain why I was close to going mad to my other half. Half an hour later I was pleased to see my TiVo had recovered itself!

All seems ok - even the title-picker screen. I am leaving it to do some recording and do its listings call overnight. More info in the morning.

Please god let it work.

==================

P.S. I have ruled out disk errors by running maxtor utils on both the 30G and 120G drives - both passed the block tests.

P.P.S. Rob - the 1.5.2 backup you sent me on CD falls over with a decompression error when doing a mfstools retore. I tried with both 1.0 and 1.1.
Is there any special parameter I should be using with it ?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 12:32 AM
GarySargent

Warning to all users: Don't use mfstools in V2.5.5 yet until we properly determine what options are needed to make it work. The new loopset without the Sky Digital banner is currently causing a problem as mfstools doesn't expect new background loopsets by default.

Single drive upgraders should be ok if they use "dd" and TiVoMad only.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

Erk!

I was going to ask whether there was any progress with a new boot CD but I think it's best to leave my upgrade for a bit!

Just been testing my 120gb drive today - I've run amset and wvset on it but it seems hell-bent on spinning down all the time almost as if it's in ultra-power save mode. Is there a util to fix this?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 12:52 AM
GarySargent

It shouldn't spin down at all - check power management settings in your BIOS and/or Windows.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 07:44 AM
groovyclam

Well it's the morning after the day before and my TiVo has survived and behaved properly.

It recorded two progs I asked for and one suggestion overnight and it's nightly call is marked as "succeeded"

What I can't understand is how I actually managed to salvage this disaster.

If mfstools isn't backing up all files then theoretically my backup is useless. Yes ? No ?

So how come when I restored it to the original 30+15 disks I ended up with a working system ?

Also *why* did the restore/expansion to the original 30+15 disks result in a green screen error ?

Can anyone offer an explanation ?

I must be stupid because I'm going to try Gary's suggestion of a -l 64 backup on my now working system and restore it to just my 120 maxtor.

Rob - I would like a 1.5.2 that I can restore if all else fails - have you figured out why the CD image is failing ?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 08:02 AM
GarySargent

The green screen would have downloaded files from TiVo to repair itself - you were very lucky

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 08:52 AM
groovyclam

Lucky I got a Green Screen then! ( How perverse)

Still that doesn't quite explain why TiVoMAD on the original disks *causes* a green screen. If it worked as planned I should have just ended up with a restore from a crap backup - no ?

Anyway...

I'm just doing a -l 64 backup now but reading through the mfstools readme I came across the -a option ( all streams )

If I delete all the shows I have recorded from my TiVo before doing the backup, could I not then do a:

mfstools -a -6 -s -o <outfile> disk1 disk2

Theoretically shouldn't this get everything I need ?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

quote:
Originally posted by groovyclam
I'm just doing a -l 64 backup now but reading through the mfstools readme I came across the -a option ( all streams )

If I delete all the shows I have recorded from my TiVo before doing the backup, could I not then do a:

mfstools -a -6 -s -o <outfile> disk1 disk2

Theoretically shouldn't this get everything I need ?

It's not a matter of getting all you need. You may not get a divorced backup, from MFStool it will tell you the size 30GB or 44GB of the backup image, if it is not 30GB you will not be able to expand the image onto the larger disks. Also be careful with -a as the backup will be *very* large, and I would suspect over the FAT partition limits, you would need to be putting the backup onto Linux partitions. Oh, and no divorced backup

Rgds,

R.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 09:55 AM
groovyclam

The saga continues,

I tried a ( -t -l 64 -s -6 ) backup which reported itself successful

On restore I got a decompression error - aaarrgh

Then did a ( -t -l 64 -s -3 ) backup - reported successful

Went to restore and this restored ok.

I also noticed I still had Rob's 1.5.2 backup on my hard disk - so just on the offchance I tried restoring it again. Today it worked!?!

I now have a single 120G 1.5.2 TiVo going through guided setup. If it all works and it upgrades itself again to 2.5.5 soon - I'll stick with that and hide my precious original 30+15 disks away until such time as a working process for UK 2.5.5 comes around.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmd is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmd Visit dmd's homepage! Find more posts by dmd Add dmd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmd
Apprentice hacker

At the risk of digressing slightly, I have a question for RobBellis about his comment re putting the backup onto Linux partitions. I would like to do this since my old PC only has Linux. When booting from the TiVomad floppy the larger Linux disk on my PC (30GB Maxtor) is not recognised so I couldn't do this. I had to disconnect my Linux disks and connect a FAT formatted disk in order to do an mfstools backup. Does this sound like something you'd know how to fix? Incidentally the first disk in this system (1GB Quantum - Linux only) was recognised fine.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

groovyclam is offline Old Post 03-07-2002 05:49 PM
groovyclam

More saga...

I restored Rob's 1.5.2 image to the new 120G as a single A drive setup and expanded it with TiVoMAD 3.2 ( I also told TiVoMAD to increase the swap just in case )

It went through guided setup ok. I tested it a bit. All seems ok for such a short use.

On its first forced listings call after guided setup it downloaded 2.5.5 ( I had previously gotten 2.5.5 very soon after it went live ).

It is now doing the database conversion step after I rebooted.

I'll confirm whether it's a success or dud tomorrow after a bit of usage.

( My original 30+15 disks are going into a safehouse! )

Gary - can you post a sticky thread about mfstools1.1 not backing up UK 2.5.5 successfully. Especially since on a cursory glance after restore it seems to have worked. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I've had to endure the past three days.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 04-02-2002 01:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

quote:
Ages ago, I wrote

Just been testing my 120gb drive today - I've run amset and wvset on it but it seems hell-bent on spinning down all the time almost as if it's in ultra-power save mode. Is there a util to fix this?

quote:
Gary repied
It shouldn't spin down at all - check power management settings in your BIOS and/or Windows.

Well my power settings were all off on my machine. Now that it's in the TiVo, it's still doing it - spinning down all the time. I'm getting stoppages; and if I pause a recording and then press left to go to the menus I can hear the drive spin back up.

Help! I've got amset, wvset - I need a "spindownset"!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 04-02-2002 02:14 PM
mrtickle
hatted

Aha. Seems I may have been a victim of a bug in the bios for my motherboard (PCChips M571). It seems to be a known bug, I'm assuming it's set some spindown parameters on the drive just by me connecting it to the PC, once! Now all I need to do is somehow set it back.

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 04-02-2002 02:33 PM
RobBellis

quote:
Originally posted by mrtickle
Aha. Seems I may have been a victim of a bug in the bios for my motherboard (PCChips M571). It seems to be a known bug, I'm assuming it's set some spindown parameters on the drive just by me connecting it to the PC, once! Now all I need to do is somehow set it back.

Well MrTickle, what you need is a copy of the hdparm executable compiled for the TiVo ( attached here ) onto your TiVo ( that is left as an exercise for the reader ) and execute ./hdparm +S 0 /dev/hdx where x is either a or b. This will reset the spindown time to zero. Don't forget to chmod

Now this setting is supposed to survive reboots, but I have not found that to be the case, so, it would be a good idea to add it to the rc.sysinit file to run at every restart.

Rgds,

R.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 04-02-2002 05:27 PM
mrtickle
hatted

Thanks for that - I'll try that later if need be.

What I've done this afternoon is to update my bios and connect the drive again. Hopefully it'll've undone whatever it did in the first place. It seems to not be spinning down straight away when connected to the PC like it used to, so that's a good sign.

To try and give it a prod, I also ran the maxtor udma util and set the drive to 33. While I was at it I ran amset and set the drive back to "fast" (was "quiet") - seeing as it's totally drowned out by the 40gig quantum these days I decided there wasn't much point having it set quiet!

Also, having the generic acoustic management util that Gary found to hand, I checked the values - amset /fast sets a value of 254, and /quiet sets it to 192. (Still no joy getting the Quantum to budge from its reported setting of "off".)

Finally I set the quantum drive to udma 33 mode as well, using the quantum util to do that. For completeness' sake

Putting my ear to the quantum, the noise is definitely coming from inside it rather than vibrations on the mounting cradle etc. It's not head noise. When it spins down after a power off, instead of gently descending in pitch and volume it stops abruptly half-way, as if someone's slammed the brakes on. Hmm.

My TiVo is now back together and busy accessing the disc rebuilding its suggestions, so I won't know if the spindown has been turned off until later. However the startup movie didn't have the pitch wobble at the end - first time I've ever seen it like that!

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged