TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> V2.5.5 Upgrade Problems <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-11-2002 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Exclamation V2.5.5 Upgrades - A partial solution

Please note the following warnings if your TiVo is running V2.5.5 of the software and you want to upgrade:

MFStool V1 does not work with V2.5.5 software at all. This is the version that comes as default on the Kazymyr Boot-CD

MFStool V1.1 in its default configuration does not back up V2.5.5 machines correctly.

If you have a 40GB single drive TiVo then you can use MFStool V1.1 to get a good backup of your drive for upgrading by using the following procedure:

Connect your FAT/FAT32 drive to your PC as PRIMARY MASTER

Connect your 40GBTiVo drive to your PC as SECONDARY MASTER

Boot to either Dylans Boot Diskette, or the Kazymyr Boot-CD.

Mount your floppy with MFStool on by:

mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Mount your FAT partition by:

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

( I am assuming that the FAT partition is the first on the disk )

Change to the MFStool V1.1 directory

Type the following:

mfstool backup -6 -l 32 -o /mnt/dos/backup.bak /dev/hdc

This will result in a backup of 2.5.5 that contains all the required files.

If you have any other configuration of TiVo please e-mail me for further details, rob.bellis@up4it.com

Rgds,

R.

MFStool V1.1 can be obtained here

Last edited by RobBellis on 03-14-2002 at 07:04 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-12-2002 07:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Thanks for the summary Rob

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmd is offline Old Post 03-13-2002 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmd Visit dmd's homepage! Find more posts by dmd Add dmd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmd
Apprentice hacker

Rob, I hope you don't mind me asking here rather than mailing you.

Any workaround for a 2 drive expanded TiVo? I have 2x80GB drives and I would like to temporarily go back to a single (original) 40GB. You might remember from the weekend that I was getting the message that it was too large to fit.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-13-2002 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Ok this is all quite complex now so here's a set of questions to follow to see what you need to do!

Q1. What software version are you on?
If V1.5.x goto Q2
If V2.5.5 goto Q3
If V3.x you're reading an out of date thread

Q2. Do you currently have a one or two drive TiVo?
If 1 drive goto Q4
If 2 drive goto Q5

Q3. Do you currently have a one or two drive TiVo?
If 1 drive goto Q6
If 2 drive goto Q7

Q4.Wait until V2.5.5 before upgrading so you have a backup of this in a working state.

Q5.Its wise to upgrade ASAP before you get V2.5.5. Follow the advice in Hinsdale's guide. If you want to wait and upgrade later this will cause problems under V2.5.5 - you may need to get hold of a single drive image for the upgrade to work.

Q6.You should be fine upgrading this however if you plan to use mfstools make sure you are using V1.1 and you must include the "-l 32" option for it to work correctly. Apart from this deviatiation, follow the advice in Hinsdale's guide.

Q7.There is currently no way to guarantee an upgrade will succeed unless you can get hold of a single drive image. You can try following the advice in Q6 however it may not work - mfstools only backs up data on the first disc, some of your system files may reside on the second disc. If you try this, verify carefully that the restore of the backup works correctly, in particular check that "Search by title" has the correct background image. If you need to get hold of a single drive image (which guarantees success) then you could try contacting either Rob Bellis: rob.bellis@up4it.com or Trevor Heartfield (TiVoMad): trevor.heartfield@zen.co.uk.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmd is offline Old Post 03-13-2002 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmd Visit dmd's homepage! Find more posts by dmd Add dmd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmd
Apprentice hacker

Thanks Gary. I'm definitely (unfortunately) in Q7. I've been in touch with Rob for more info.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hinsdale is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hinsdale Visit hinsdale's homepage! Find more posts by hinsdale Add hinsdale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hinsdale
TiVo Forum Special Member

I have updated the How-To to address the changes needed for UK TiVo's with v2.5.5 software.

If someone wishes to review and make suggestions or corrections, all input is welcome and can be posted in the How-To thread :

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=36974

- I of course do not have a UK TiVo to test on.

Also just a note to Rob: I believe you left out the source IDE port in your mfs tools backup command in your initial post outlining the different commands necessary.

Last edited by hinsdale on 03-14-2002 at 12:19 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

Fixed my small error

Thanks Hinsdale.

Rgds,

R.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kill -9 is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 04:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kill -9 Find more posts by kill -9 Add kill -9 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kill -9

I still have 1.5.2, but I wasn't planning to replace my B drive until next month.

However, is it reasonable to say that I can run mkfstool to re-organise the data on my drives to allow me to make a 1.5.2 backup (then put it on CD).

Should I then be upgraded to 2.5.5 before I get a chance to upgrade my B drive, can I then "destroy" the data on my A and B, restore 1.5.2 to my A and then bless my new B drive ?

Fuzzy logic says that I should be able to do this as long as I have a *WORKING* 1.5.2 backup.

Any comments ?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 04:18 PM
RobBellis

Yes, you could do that and get a divorced 1.5.2 backup, restore that and then allow the TiVo to upgrade to 2.5.5 again.

NOTE at some point this will p*ss TiVo off, the upgrade phonecalls take some time and cost TiVo money. They will not be happy about this.

Rgds,

R.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kill -9 is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 05:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kill -9 Find more posts by kill -9 Add kill -9 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kill -9

Yep it might do, but I hope the volume of people upgrading this way is significantly low that it may not be noticed in the big scheme of things.

I personally don't want 2.5.5 until I've upgraded but my TiVo has been disconnected from the landline for over a week now and I'll need to connect it soon to get some scheduling

Thanks for the info Rob.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 03-20-2002 11:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Just like to thank RobBellis for his help getting my two drive 2.5.5 TiVo upgraded.

36hrs 2 mins at Best. Yes!

Cheers, Rob.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-23-2002 01:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

Just wondered what the latest news is as it's been a while since the problems were identified

Will there be a later version of MFStools >1.1 which will somehow find and backup the extra UK2.5.5 alphabet background, or will we always have to use the extra flags from now on?

Will there be a later version of the Kazymyr Boot-CD with MFStools 1.1 or >1.1?

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-23-2002 02:05 PM
RobBellis

quote:
Originally posted by mrtickle
Just wondered what the latest news is as it's been a while since the problems were identified

Will there be a later version of MFStools >1.1 which will somehow find and backup the extra UK2.5.5 alphabet background, or will we always have to use the extra flags from now on?

Will there be a later version of the Kazymyr Boot-CD with MFStools 1.1 or >1.1?

Arrghhhh, you are a troublemaker

The simple answer is I don't know. However, knowing the problem with the 2.5.5UK backup it would require a complete re-write of MFStools to pick-up the new background loopsets ( and then to restore them to a divorced MFS partition which may not be possible. )

There may be a later version of the Kazymyr Boot-CD but some work is required there too ( but not as much as MFStool )

However, once installed with a single drive image of V2.5.5 and expanded via TiVoMAD, you should be able to get a divorced backup ( using -s ) again as all the loopsets should still be in the first MFS partition.

NOTICE FOR FRED :

The loopsets should be re-downloaded as part of the final V2.5.5 build. If you do a divorce and upgrade with the missing loopsets ( under 2.5.5V2 )they should be replaced when you get upgraded again.

Rgds,

R.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-23-2002 05:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

Ta. I do have a single drive machine at the moment so it's slightly simpler.

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbchops is offline Old Post 03-23-2002 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbchops Find more posts by bbchops Add bbchops to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbchops

Hello there, long time lurker, first time poster

My TiVo has just gone out of warranty, so I'm looking to upgrade. Of course, I've got a 2 drive machine with 2.5.5. Am I completely out of luck or is it just the automated processes that are lost to me?

I'm intending to buy two drives, a 120 gig as my new big B and a 30/40 to restore to as my new A drive. Then my existing drives are going to be locked away somewhere safe, so I'll have a working TiVo system if this goes bad.

Is there any way for me to do an upgrade with my system? I'd prefer not to cost TiVo another software upgrade if at all possible

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-24-2002 10:07 AM
mrtickle
hatted

First - stop! Don't make the same mistake as others. If your total size is >140GB you HAVE to have the big drive as A and increase the swap size when you TiVoMad it. You have to have the little drive as drive B.

Secondly - it's pot luck whether the MFSbackup command with the flags will save the alphabet background from a 2-drive TiVo, AFAIK. So you can try it and do the backup, restore it to your new drive to test it, and see if you have the background. If so then it worked!

HTH

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 03-24-2002 10:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis

NOTICE FOR FRED :

Fred was quite surprised, having added 80GB using a divorced backup image of release 2.5.5 to find a message in his TiVo two days later telling him he had been "upgraded" to V2!

Fotunately Fred got re-upgraded to where he started from the following night!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 03-24-2002 10:44 AM
RobBellis

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton

Fred was quite surprised, having added 80GB using a divorced backup image of release 2.5.5 to find a message in his TiVo two days later telling him he had been "upgraded" to V2!

Fotunately Fred got re-upgraded to where he started from the following night!

Hmmm, I bet TiVo are puzzling about that one already.......

Rgds,

R.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbchops is offline Old Post 03-24-2002 03:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbchops Find more posts by bbchops Add bbchops to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbchops

quote:
Originally posted by mrtickle
First - stop! Don't make the same mistake as others. If your total size is >140GB you HAVE to have the big drive as A and increase the swap size when you TiVoMad it. You have to have the little drive as drive B.

Secondly - it's pot luck whether the MFSbackup command with the flags will save the alphabet background from a 2-drive TiVo, AFAIK. So you can try it and do the backup, restore it to your new drive to test it, and see if you have the background. If so then it worked!

HTH

Aha! I see I need to do a bit more looking around.

Is there indepth documentation of these processes anywhere? All the linked FAQs and HOWTOs are just step-by-step guides.

Alphabet background? Is that the background to the letter selector or something more fundamental? And, if it's just a missing file error, can't it just be copied from the original drives, or is that one fo the things we aren't allowed to talk about ?

Finally, does this mean that an MFSTools backup can be restored to any size drive and will use the entire size of that drive? I had got the impression that it would only use the initial size of the unexpanded TiVo on the A disk.

If this is the case, could I just get a 120 gig A disk, run it as a single disk system, and add a second drive later? Is there a hard limit (below, say, 240 gig *ahem*)?

Thanks for you help with this, I'd rather avoid making a horrible mistake

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbchops is offline Old Post 03-25-2002 08:09 PM
bbchops

Apologies for bumping my own post, but I ordered my drive today so it's becoming a bit more urgent.

Ok, here's what I plan to do:

Take a working mfstools backup of my two drive system

This sounds like it will be the hardest part of the process. Has anyone managed to backup a 2.5.5 system correctly, or does it just not work at all? Is there a chance that wrangling the various options will get a valid backup?

Restore the backup to my new 120 gig drive

Seems straight-forward enough.

Use TivoMad's tools to expand the new A drive

adding additional swap space along the way, for future expansion.

Then I'll drop the drive back in the TiVo and cross my fingers.

Does this sound like a receipe for success or have I just acquired a new 120 gig drive for my PC (oh no ) ?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged