TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Philips TV problems in V2.5.5 <<<

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GarySargent is offline Old Post 01-15-2001 03:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

Lightbulb Announcement

Hello Register readers!

To set The Register straight on its sensationalised article here.

The problem was first reported in this forum on 25th Feb in the post below not December, and then subsequently to TiVo Customer Services who no doubt have been evaluating who is affected by the problem. Software upgrades drip roll out a few people at a time.

The problem is not fully TiVo's fault - some Philips TV's do not properly handle teletext streams, this seems obvious since most other brands are fine.

No moderator of this forum has banned Andy Katz or anyone else from using this forum as far as I know.

Beta Testers are bound by an Non-Disclosure Agreement and should not be discussing anything with The Register.

TiVo are working on a solution to this problem which affects a very small number of people. I doubt many people would go back to the previous software version - the functionality it adds is fantastic - why don't you report on that Register???

Last edited by GarySargent on 04-05-2002 at 11:45 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-25-2002 05:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for timswf Find more posts by timswf Add timswf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timswf

now this is very odd...

...so I get back from holiday thrilled to find new version had loaded.. the priority list worked ... and those features look like they were well worth waiting for... but with bizarre thing is the hold Tivo now has over my Philips ws TV.. when Tivo is on.. neither the tv's orginal remote or the Sky one will work the volume etc... and every now and again the TV switches off... at other times it is being sent IR signals which I assume are from Tivo as they come 4 at a time..

Tried changing remote codes from Pace to Grundig - but still does it..

When Tivo is in sby - I get control of the TV back.. but Tivo then somethimes doesn't want to show a menu or picture straight away..

I have a swopped out Tivo jst a few month's old + oldish pace digibox via scart - have tried restarting.. checked scarts... no luck

Any thoughts before I try to summon up the patience to explain this to CS?

Cheers

Tim

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-25-2002 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

The TV switching off will be something to do with the SCART control - most likely when this turns off your TV does too, and TiVo is for some reason momentarily dropping the high signal.

Try turning SCART control off.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrianHughes is offline Old Post 02-25-2002 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianHughes Find more posts by BrianHughes Add BrianHughes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianHughes
Pedant sans chapeau.

Gary, isn't this the problem that Fred met one time before?

I notice that the original poster says that the LED flashes 4 times so he is using the Sky codes.

The problem is something to do with the Sky code causing the Digibox to assert pin 8 so turning the Scart control off will work. I don't have Sky myself, so I didn't read the explanation too carefully (I mean Fred didn't tell me in great detail )

I think it boils down to the Tivo and Sky box both fighting to get the Tivo's attention and the poor TV doesn't know what to do.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zac is offline Old Post 02-26-2002 08:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zac Find more posts by zac Add zac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zac

Unhappy

This sounds exactly like the problem Fred had. Out of interest what model of Philips TV do you have?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-26-2002 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timswf Find more posts by timswf Add timswf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timswf

mmmmm...

thank you all for the advice.. I knew you'd be ace at this..

turning off scart control has made things a little better - but I still get the symptons in what seems to be a fairly random way.. so tough to troubleshoot... have also tried changing remote codes from grundig back to pace..

the tv is a philips 32pw6515/05

is fred's ok now?

cheers

tim

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-26-2002 06:13 PM
timswf

update

..after more fiddling.. the most repeatable problem is..

when tivo is on... unless it is in vcr or aux mode - the tv cannot be controlled by remote control - or old fashioned buttons on the set.. so no volume or switching away to analogue.. without going to vcr/aux - changing the volume - then resume play.. a fairly bothersome approach to an evenings viewing...

this is the same whether scart control is on or off...

have made a call to CS.. lets see what they come up with

rgds

tim

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-26-2002 10:53 PM
timswf

and now it is getting surreal

.. so in between mystery switch offs and muting.. a small white capital E with a reverse slash on its head sometimes wanders across the screen..

I can see why they didn;t want me beta testing...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 02-26-2002 10:58 PM
GarySargent

Re: and now it is getting surreal

quote:
Originally posted by timswf
.. so in between mystery switch offs and muting.. a small white capital E with a reverse slash on its head sometimes wanders across the screen..

I can see why they didn;t want me beta testing...

Please don't post while taking drugs - its not clever

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 10:37 AM
timswf

things are looking up..

just come off the phone from a very patient fella at tivo tech support - who'd read this thread - which is v impressive - and rumours of the problems driving me to drugs ... now after a complete powerdown of the whole lot.. tv, sky, tivo.. things have come up rosier.. can now control volume for new recordings and live tv... but strangely not older recordings..

still some oddities with the volume on the tv remote sometimes turning the tv off. but that could be a bad remote..

cheers all

tim

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 09:21 PM
timswf

aha

yep - I think you're right.. rats.. can anyone think of a workaround?

maybe scart only - no rf with some sort of attenuation on the level of the suspect pin?

thanks again

tim

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 07:28 AM
timswf

vbi

sorry to be divvy.. just thought - what's vbi pls?

..things have strated going odd agai in a curiously random way.

rgds

tim

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zac is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zac Find more posts by zac Add zac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zac

Logged a call with Philips about this, they are going to look onto it but at the moment they are blaming TIVO, as if TIVO isn't involved the TV works fine,

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 09:39 AM
GarySargent

Not sure how TiVo could switch a TV off?!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alanjrobertson is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 11:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alanjrobertson Visit alanjrobertson's homepage! Find more posts by alanjrobertson Add alanjrobertson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alanjrobertson

Re: vbi

quote:
Originally posted by timswf
sorry to be divvy.. just thought - what's vbi pls?

Vertical Blanking Interval - bit you don't usually see on your telly (unless it's misaligned). Teletext (& therefore subtitles) are transmitted in it. I think in the USA (where they don't have teletext) there was some talk of carrying webpages in it (this was a couple of years ago, I'm not sure what actually happened in the end).

Cheers

Alan

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 10:59 PM
timswf

aha

thanks all for the info.. am being too pessimistic in thinking this is sounding bad.. if it was something on the scart I could imagine taking some wirecutters to some colourful cable.. if the bad stuff is all interlaced in the picture I can't think of a way to filter it out...

are enough of us with this bother to justify a fix? philips must be quite popular...

as it didn't do this before the new software - sadly I'm told rolling back isn't an option... I could be left with a frustratingly useless 14 month old silver box.. too late for a refund? I'm not minded to change a six month old telly that was double the price of the tivo... but couldn't face going back to video... I don't suppose anyone's heard whether Sky+ has it in for Philips have they?

rgds

tim

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

claws is offline Old Post 03-02-2002 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for claws Find more posts by claws Add claws to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
claws

Angry

Likewise, my 6 month old Philips WS 9615 exhibits identical problems re. turning off, no volume control etc. etc.
Problems started the instant the 2.5 download received.
I can't even turn the tv on unless Tivo scart is unplugged.
Have tried inserting a video sender in the scart chain, but the junk in the signal causing the problems survives the atmospheric hop.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timswf is offline Old Post 03-02-2002 03:10 PM
timswf

campaign?

anyone up for a justice for philips owners campaign? seems poor that the release got through the beta testing even when this major problem had been spotted by forum members..

rgds

tim

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 03-03-2002 03:24 PM
GarySargent

Is anyone suffering from this Philips TV turning off problem NOT using their TiVo with Sky and NOT using the new Sky sending codes (20016)?

Try switching back to 20006 and see if that fixes it.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trnbll3 is offline Old Post 03-03-2002 03:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trnbll3 Find more posts by trnbll3 Add trnbll3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trnbll3

Angry my first post.. philips tv problems

ok last night my tivo updated my software to version 2.5.5 and now my tv keeps switching into standby mode (at unpredictably times) and not allowing me to switch back on for a few minutes!!!
tivo still works when this happens (i can see it changing sky by the lights flashing) but the tv is in standby mode (standby light flashes 4 times).

I phoned CS about this and they said they have heard of this a few times and will look into it for me.

anyone else having the same prob???

also widescreen switching is very unreliable now!!!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged