TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Caller-id program for DirecTivo <<<

Pages (14): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregggreg Visit gregggreg's homepage! Find more posts by gregggreg Add gregggreg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregggreg

Cool Caller-id program for DirecTivo

I have just released the first very alpha version of elseed, a caller-id program for DirecTivo. If your DirecTivo is attached to a phone line which has caller-id service from your phone company, then it will display the caller name and number on your TV screen.

Please download and play with the software:

http://bah.org/~greg/tivo/

Note, I have only tested this a little bit on my DirecTivo and it could do bad things to your hardware. You have been warned.

Some initial release notes:

1. This might work on a standalone Tivo, I don't have one so I have no idea.

2. It is coded as to not interfere with the Tivo daily call and DirecTV call. It seems to not interfere with the Tivo daily call in my testing, but I have no idea about the call to DirecTV. Any information about the specifics of the DirecTV call would be appreciated. From what I have been able to gather, I am pretty sure it won't interfere with the DirecTV call, though.

3. I haven't tried to "Save to VCR" while a call comes in so I don't know if the caller-id information will be recorded to your VCR. It very well might. I will try to test this later. A later release will try to fix this if this is the case. Like I said this release is very alpha.

Feedback welcomed. It's open source, so the code is there for you to see/fix/laugh at. It isn't very complicated.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

embeem is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for embeem Visit embeem's homepage! Find more posts by embeem Add embeem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
embeem

This idea has been bounce around abit in the past, it's never worked because the modems (atleast in the series1 standalones) don't seem to work with caller-id; you can issue the commands to enable the caller-id and the modem will accept them but it won't return any caller-id information.

At one point there was a program that would run on the tivo and take caller-id information from an external pc and displayed it on the screen. I can't remeber where it was though .. search returns a number of caller-id related topics.

CVnB02kbxifsgVYcYfEiTG2qfIdFXmstrEhW9gpe+5OxEYid979qu1Esg2YHNA7W8tSTd1t9
88LYW46AhE01Uts8pa4TgZazxlo/FkMAS3i/Oqtm7Rf8C6QzXmbDgbN+fP+Fcu53FOtZXNXX
ClRoZSB0cnV0aCBhYm91dCBhIG1hbiBsaWVzIGluIHdoYXQgaGUgaGlkZXMgLU1hbHJhdXgK

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregggreg Visit gregggreg's homepage! Find more posts by gregggreg Add gregggreg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregggreg

quote:
Originally posted by embeem
This idea has been bounce around abit in the past, it's never worked because the modems (atleast in the series1 standalones) don't seem to work with caller-id; you can issue the commands to enable the caller-id and the modem will accept them but it won't return any caller-id information.

At one point there was a program that would run on the tivo and take caller-id information from an external pc and displayed it on the screen. I can't remeber where it was though .. search returns a number of caller-id related topics.

Well feel free to download and run this program on your standalone and let me know if it works or not. It definitely works on my Phillips DSR6000 DirecTivo.

Oh and thanks, embeem, for the cross-compiler information. I couldn't have made this program without it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sparks666 is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sparks666 Find more posts by Sparks666 Add Sparks666 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sparks666
Me in Greenland:

Cool! that's one thing I miss from my old non-TiVo Direct TV reciever.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hmss007 is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 07:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hmss007 Find more posts by hmss007 Add hmss007 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hmss007

Could you post some screen shots of what the caller ID in action looks like?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TK-421 is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 02:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TK-421 Visit TK-421's homepage! Find more posts by TK-421 Add TK-421 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TK-421
Stormtrooper

Neat! I'll have to pass this onto my DTivo friend.. too bad it'll never happen on Series 1...

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Runch Machine is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 04:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Runch Machine Find more posts by Runch Machine Add Runch Machine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runch Machine

How to copy the CallerID program

Thanks for sharing your CallerID program. Would you please list off the steps needed to copy the program from the C drive in a Windows computer to the Tivo hard drive mounted in a Windows computer, and the steps needed to get it to load or run when the Tivo is booted up? I have upgraded two Tivos by adding an additional drive to each, using Hinsdales instructions. I backed up prior to doing the upgrade and also tested the backup by restoring it to the new drive and running the Tivo with the new drive as the A drive. So I know how to boot up Linux and connect disc drives into my computer. But then I don't know which commands to use or the syntax needed. Does one need to mount the drives before using the copy CP command? Assume that the Dos/Windows C drive is the primary master, hda. Assume that the Tivo A drive is the secondary master, hdc. How does one use the copy command to copy from the C drive, or hda under Linux to the drive on hdc and get the program onto the root partitian? The install instructions say to copy Elseed, but what about Elseed.c, Elseed.h and OSD.c and OSD.h and Font.h? What are those for? . Also, how does one edit rc.sysinit to insert the command to start elseed? Anyway, if you could provide a list of steps to get this done, I would appreciate it and many more people would be able to use your program. I don't have shell access to my Tivo and I would prefer to modify the Tivo A drive when it is connected to my computer.

Last edited by Runch Machine on 04-16-2002 at 08:16 PM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

delerio2k is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 05:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for delerio2k Visit delerio2k's homepage! Find more posts by delerio2k Add delerio2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delerio2k

Caller-id Standalone TiVo

http://www.audreyhacking.com/module...=thread&order=0

This article seemed interesting, but extremely acute in description. Has anyone gotten it working on any of the series1 TiVos?

quote:
Originally posted by embeem

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 05:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by Runch Machine
Thanks for sharing your CallerID program. Would you please list off the steps needed to copy the program from the C drive in a Windows computer to the Tivo hard drive mounted in a Windows computer, and the steps needed to get it to load or run when the Tivo is booted up? I have upgraded two Tivos by adding an additional drive to each, using Hinsdales instructions. I backed up prior to doing the upgrade and also tested the backup by restoring it to the new drive and running the Tivo with the new drive as the A drive. So I know how to boot up Linux and connect disc drives into my computer. But then I don't know which commands to use or the syntax needed. Does one need to mount the drives before using the copy CP command? Assume that the Dos/Windows C drive is the primary master, hda. Assume that the Tivo A drive is the secondary master, hdc. How does one use the copy command to copy from the C drive, or hda under Linux to the drive on hdc and get the program onto the root partitian? Also, how does one edit rc.sysinit to insert the command to start elseed? Anyway, if you could provide a list of steps to get this done, I would appreciate it and many more people would be able to use your program. I don't have shell access to my Tivo and I would prefer to modify the Tivo A drive when it is connected to my computer.
I don't want to sound elitist, but if you don't know how to mount and copy you shouldn't be playing with experimental binaries.

Wait until more people have used elseed and made sure that it doesn't do anything horribly wrong.

That being said, follow the howtos to get a bash prompt. Elseed supposedly only works on DTiVos so you will have to do that anyway. That process should teach you most of what you need to know.

Good Luck!

-SteakMan-

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 05:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan

Well, it didn't crash my TiVo and I haven't noticed a performance hit, but GAAAAH!!! As coincidence would have it, I made some changes to my local telephone account on Friday and forgot to choose Caller-ID.

So I won't know if it works for about a week

-SteakMan-

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 07:24 PM
gregggreg

Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by Runch Machine
Thanks for sharing your CallerID program. Would you please list off the steps needed to copy the program from the C drive in a Windows computer to the Tivo hard drive mounted in a Windows computer, and the steps needed to get it to load or run when the Tivo is booted up? I have upgraded two Tivos by adding an additional drive to each, using Hinsdales instructions. I backed up prior to doing the upgrade and also tested the backup by restoring it to the new drive and running the Tivo with the new drive as the A drive. So I know how to boot up Linux and connect disc drives into my computer. But then I don't know which commands to use or the syntax needed. Does one need to mount the drives before using the copy CP command? Assume that the Dos/Windows C drive is the primary master, hda. Assume that the Tivo A drive is the secondary master, hdc. How does one use the copy command to copy from the C drive, or hda under Linux to the drive on hdc and get the program onto the root partitian? The install instructions say to copy Elseed, but what about Elseed.c, Elseed.h and OSD.c and OSD.h and Font.h? What are those for? . Also, how does one edit rc.sysinit to insert the command to start elseed? Anyway, if you could provide a list of steps to get this done, I would appreciate it and many more people would be able to use your program. I don't have shell access to my Tivo and I would prefer to modify the Tivo A drive when it is connected to my computer. Also, I see in the install instructions we are to copy Elseed

Well I only recommend elseed to more seasoned hackers for now. While testing I got it to get stuck tight infinite loops so it really is better for the time being that you have a shell so you can kill it if it goes nuts. I fixed the problem that caused the thight loop, but it currently has an extraneous sleep in the loop just in case something sends it into a tight loop again.

When the code is better tested and we can trust it, then I can post a step-by-step of how to copy it onto your system using a boot disk/CD.

And the osd.c/h, elseed.c/h, and font.h files are the source code for the program. You shouldn't be concerned with them unless you already knew that. :-)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 07:29 PM
gregggreg

quote:
Originally posted by hmss007
Could you post some screen shots of what the caller ID in action looks like?

I probably couldn't get around to this until this weekend. Perhaps someone else with more time could do this?

The onscreen display is pretty raw for now. If you've ever seen playitsam in action on a Tivo, I use the same code they use for OSD so it looks like that.

I plan on adding command-line options soon to set the x/y coordinates of the osd and the background/foreground colors. Right now it's just hardcoded to display in the middle-left of the screen so it won't be "erased" by the play-bar at the bottom or the info-box at the top.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 07:33 PM
gregggreg

Re: Caller-id Standalone TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by delerio2k
http://www.audreyhacking.com/module...=thread&order=0

This article seemed interesting, but extremely acute in description. Has anyone gotten it working on any of the series1 TiVos?

Again I cross paths with the infamous Steve Grimm. Looks like his code requires this 3com audrey device. I'm not even sure what that is.

Also, the original inspiration to write this program came from seeing tivocid by JLC:

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/jlc/

This is probably the software that embeem was referring to. It requires the caller-id stuff to be done on another computer which serves the info to a client running on your Tivo.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 07:40 PM
gregggreg

Re: Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by SteakMan

[...]

That being said, follow the howtos to get a bash prompt. Elseed supposedly only works on DTiVos so you will have to do that anyway. [...]

-SteakMan-

I would still like to hear from someone running a stand-alone and Tivo software 2.5.1 to confirm that Elseed will not work on stand-alones. I don't have one to test on or I would. I've seen some stuff in my logs about my DTivo auto-patching my modem. I'm not sure if my DTivo has been doing this all the time, or if it's a new 2.5 thing or what, but its possible that part of 2.5 includes a modem patch that turns on the caller-id stuff that previously didn't work correctly in both Tivo's and DTivo's. But this is all conjecture until someone shows that it will or will not work on a stand-alone Tivo...

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pickrarkerz is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pickrarkerz Find more posts by pickrarkerz Add pickrarkerz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pickrarkerz

Re: Re: Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by gregggreg

I would still like to hear from someone running a stand-alone and Tivo software 2.5.1 to confirm that Elseed will not work on stand-alones.

Well, I didn't try it on a stand alone, but I did try it on my Hughes DTiVo with 2.5.1, and it didn't work. The telnet session I started it from had the RINGs on it (I don't know if there's supposed to be anything else), but nothing ever came up on the TV.
I only tried it once - started up elseed, called my home phone from my cell phone (my caller ID unit showed the caller ID info). I let it ring about 7 times, but no on-screen caller ID. I killed it and haven't tried anything since that one simple test.

Has anyone else tried this on a Hughes? Or is there supposed to be displayed on the terminal? I don't know if the OSD just wasn't working or if the caller ID wasn't picking anything up.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-16-2002 11:47 PM
gregggreg

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by pickrarkerz

Well, I didn't try it on a stand alone, but I did try it on my Hughes DTiVo with 2.5.1, and it didn't work. The telnet session I started it from had the RINGs on it (I don't know if there's supposed to be anything else), but nothing ever came up on the TV.
I only tried it once - started up elseed, called my home phone from my cell phone (my caller ID unit showed the caller ID info). I let it ring about 7 times, but no on-screen caller ID. I killed it and haven't tried anything since that one simple test.

Has anyone else tried this on a Hughes? Or is there supposed to be displayed on the terminal? I don't know if the OSD just wasn't working or if the caller ID wasn't picking anything up.

Interesting. I thought the Hughes boxes were the same as Phillips DSR6K's with a different name on the front.

Elseed should display the callerid info to your terminal too. Output should look something like:

Initializing modem....
Modem: OK
Modem: RING

--Call Logged--
Date: XXXX
Time: XXXX
Name: XXXXXX
Number: XXXXXXXXXX

And it should create a file called /var/log/elcid.log (oops, should be elseed.log) with one line for every caller-id call logged.

I hope the program doesn't only run on Phillips DSR6K's, that would be a bummer. Of couse there could also be *gasp* bugs in my code.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 04-17-2002 02:31 AM
SteakMan

Good news: My caller ID is back on my line.
Bad News: elseed does not work on my hughes.
Worse news: I have no plans to hack my DSR6000 in the near future.

bash-2.02# elseed
Initializing modem...

Nothing on the TV and no log created.

-SteakMan-

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregggreg is offline Old Post 04-17-2002 02:35 AM
gregggreg

quote:
Originally posted by SteakMan
Good news: My caller ID is back on my line.
Bad News: elseed does not work on my hughes.
Worse news: I have no plans to hack my DSR6000 in the near future.

bash-2.02# elseed
Initializing modem...

Nothing on the TV and no log created.

-SteakMan-

Damn. Well I changed the source code a little before packaging it up and haven't tested the actual binary I shipped out on my own DSR6K (although it should be pretty much the same). So let me try to test the binary in the elseed package and confirm 100% that it works on my DSR6K. If it does, then it appears that my program might not work for the Hughes recevier, which is unfortunate.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mr. Belboz is offline Old Post 04-17-2002 05:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Belboz Find more posts by Mr. Belboz Add Mr. Belboz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Belboz
version 1.0.3

Re: Re: Re: How to copy the CallerID program

quote:
Originally posted by gregggreg

I would still like to hear from someone running a stand-alone and Tivo software 2.5.1 to confirm that Elseed will not work on stand-alones. I don't have one to test on or I would.

I remember back when I was more involved in TiVO Hacking

I just wrote the first incarnation of osdtxt for doing text output on the TiVo. I was interested in caller ID since it had been talked about off and on on here. So I ported the tiny microcom terminal program to the TiVo so you could use the modem directly from a bash prompt.

I tried sending the same AT+VCID=1 that you did to the modem. It would respond "OK" but all I would ever get when the phone rang was "RING". (Yes I did have the Caller ID service too).

The old osdtxt and my microcom terminal program port can be found on my directory still on the hacking site. I believe the microcom file is named m101 something.

Might make it easier for those wanting to mess with testing the modem chip since you can monitor it, reset it, send other commands to it, etc.

http://tivo.samba.org/download/belboz

Have a good time, all the time. That's my philosophy Marty.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

embeem is offline Old Post 04-17-2002 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for embeem Visit embeem's homepage! Find more posts by embeem Add embeem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
embeem

Many thanks to Belboz, his work on the OSD was the starting point for the OSD implementations in tivovbi until 1.03 (1.03 features a rewrite, new font set and several other OSD enhancements)

It would appear that this caller id program also uses the OSD routines from tivovbi 1.03 (although oddly without my name in any of the files and a strange looking copyright at the top of the osd.c file .. but I digress..)

It's good to see Mr Belboz hasn't totally abandoned tivo hacking.

CVnB02kbxifsgVYcYfEiTG2qfIdFXmstrEhW9gpe+5OxEYid979qu1Esg2YHNA7W8tSTd1t9
88LYW46AhE01Uts8pa4TgZazxlo/FkMAS3i/Oqtm7Rf8C6QzXmbDgbN+fP+Fcu53FOtZXNXX
ClRoZSB0cnV0aCBhYm91dCBhIG1hbiBsaWVzIGluIHdoYXQgaGUgaGlkZXMgLU1hbHJhdXgK

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged