TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Do you tip landscapers? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Demandred is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 07:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

Do you tip landscapers?

I'm having sod installed tomorrow by a landscape company. I know you tip waiters/waitresses, and movers, but what about landscapers?

If you are supposed to tip landscapers, how much? The cost of the sod with install is $560. Also, do you tip each guy individually or just give the foreman everything and let him divide it up?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveBogart is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveBogart Find more posts by DaveBogart Add DaveBogart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveBogart
Curmudgeon

No, I don't tip landscapers. Or movers for that matter.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmyers is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmyers Find more posts by pmyers Add pmyers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmyers
TiVo Forum Special Member

hmm..interesting question as I'm having Sod installed next week. I have to say that I've had lots of landscape work done: palm tree removed, curbing in the front and back installed, etc...but I've never tipped them. I do always offer them water/cokes/even beer(after they are done).

Actually I take that back. I did thow the carpet guys a few extra bucks because I asked them to do something outside the scope of what they were there to do...but I don't consider that a tip.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeff125va is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 08:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeff125va Find more posts by jeff125va Add jeff125va to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeff125va
TiVo Forum Special Member

The way I figure it, if there's a profession that I'm not aware whether it's customary to tip, then it's not customary enough for me to worry about it. Landscapers are expensive enough, I don't tip them. If they went out of their way to do something then maybe I would, or take them drinks or something like that.

35 hour Philips DSR 704

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GDG76 is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GDG76 Find more posts by GDG76 Add GDG76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GDG76
hipster doofus

Feel no obligation to tip your landscaper at all...

I ran a landscaping company for 5 years and got nary a tip...and we did a lot of good work that was usually cheaper than most competiitors..

We were happy to get our agreed upon payment without any b!tch!ng from the client... so many people try to screw you after the fact..

drew

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

keirgrey is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for keirgrey Find more posts by keirgrey Add keirgrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keirgrey
13th at the table

Maybe I would have last week, before they ruined two of my sprinkler heads and ripped out my phone line. Kind of ruined their chances.

I'm quite optimistic that I'm going to be depressed later.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

I tip skyscrapers. You know that tower in Pisa? That was me.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

No tips but I'd offer drinks.

Maybe even put a small cooler outside for them to grab from.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GDG76 is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GDG76 Find more posts by GDG76 Add GDG76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GDG76
hipster doofus

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
No tips but I'd offer drinks.

Maybe even put a small cooler outside for them to grab from.

this is what most people did instead of tipping when i was in landscaping and it was always much appreciated... since I was only 18 when i started, the really cool ones put out beer

drew

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

Just chipping in, no tip, but drinks, including beer are a great idea. Don't forget the simplicity of icy cold bottled water.

Rob

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged