TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Problem backing up Series2 WD600 Drive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gsbush is offline Old Post 01-04-2003 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsbush Find more posts by gsbush Add gsbush to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsbush

Problem backing up Series2 WD600 Drive

I'm trying to backup my new Series2 and use a new 160GB Western Digital drive to upgrade my TiVo (I know I cannot use all 160GB, but the rebate made it cheaper than 120GB).

When I boot with the boot disk, it lists my Tivo A Drive (a WD600, in theory a 60GB drive) as:
hdd: 66055248 sectors (33820 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=65531/16/63, UDMA(33)

I get the partition table a few lines later, starting with 'Apple', 'Bootstrap 1', 'Kernel 1', etc. so something is going right.

However, when I try to run:
mfsbackup -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdd

I get in response:
mfs_load_zone_map: Primary zone map corrupt, loading backup.
mfs_load_zone_map: Secondary zone map corrupt, giving up.
mfs_load_zone_map: Zone map checksum error!
mfsbackup: Backup failed at startup. Make sure you specified the right devices, and that the drives are not locked.

I'm wondering 1) if my BIOS is too old (~3 yrs) to handle the WD600, and therefore it's reporting the wrong size, and that's why I can't do the backup. Or is it something someone else has seen before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Greg

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 01-05-2003 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for curiousgeorge Find more posts by curiousgeorge Add curiousgeorge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curiousgeorge

Does the BIOS report the 160GB drive correctly when you boot with DOS or Windows? Try running FDISK in DOS (tap F8 while booting on a windows machine until you get the menu, then select "Command line only" from the menu) and creating a primary partition (don't really do it, just go up to the point where you actually do it). Does it say it's going to create a 160GB +/- partition?

Are you putting a previously created image on the 160GB drive? If not, what other drives are hooked up, and what's their positions?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsbush is offline Old Post 01-05-2003 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsbush Find more posts by gsbush Add gsbush to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsbush

Problem backing up Series2 WD600 Drive

Curious George,

I didn't try to partition the 160GB drive yet, because I can't get the backup step to work before I try that. I've tried to use both a Quantum 80GB and WDC 160GB drive as the target drive, and neither worked.

I wanted to make my tivo.bak on one of my Windoze partitions on my Primary Master drive, but mfsbackup fails when it tries to do that.

I *really* would like to do the mfsbackup/mfsrestore process to increase the swap space, since my first Tivo hit the GSOD endlessly after I upgraded it.

If anybody understands what the error messages out of mfsbackup mean, what the zone maps are, and how I can fix the corruption on mine (if it really exists) and could offer assistance, I would be very grateful.

Greg

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 01-05-2003 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for curiousgeorge Find more posts by curiousgeorge Add curiousgeorge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curiousgeorge

I was talking about *almost* DOS partitioning it just to see what DOS (rather than Linux/MFStools) reports as the size of the drive in FDISK. If it's reported wrong there, too, you've narrowed down the problem to the computer's BIOS and can see if there's an upgrade for the BIOS that you can flash that will allow it to see the correct size.

What BIOS model and revision is in the computer right now? You can see that by hitting PAUSE/BREAK on the keyboard during the bootup diags on most computers.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsbush is offline Old Post 01-06-2003 04:08 PM
gsbush

Curious George,

I see what you're saying. I have only Win2K at home, so I'll use that to see what size it thinks the 160GB drive is. It should work out the same way, though (assuming Win2K doesn't hose the drive for being a B drive). I will be using my 80GB drive for my new A drive if possible.

The real problem I'm facing, though is that I can't back up the original Tivo A drive. I'm not worried about "only" getting 128GB on the 160GB drive, I just want to be able to back up the original. And the "zone map" error messages are inhibiting that process.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the BIOS version when I get home as well, but I'm not even sure if the company I bought from is still in business, or if I can get an upgrade...

Greg

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 01-06-2003 05:13 PM
curiousgeorge

You can check for BIOS updates at the manufacturer's website for the *motherboard* not the computer (in most cases). chances are, you'll have one made by AMI or Award. Does your boot screen give diagnostic information, or is it just a graphic? If it shows the memory test, you can pause it (pause/break on the keyboard) and note the manufacturer (AMI/AWARD/whatever), and the version (should be a string of numbers at the middle 1/3rd of the screen or two lines from the bottom), then do a check on the web using that to find upgrades.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 01-06-2003 05:15 PM
curiousgeorge

Oh, another thought. What is the TiVo drive's jumpers set to? Is it CS (cable Select) or MA (Master)/SL(Slave). If it was Set to something incompatible with the other drive on the chain in your PC, that may be causing your problem as well. When I did a Samsung 120GB upgrade I forgot to change the jumpers before installing it and it was reported as something really freaky, capacity-wise.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsbush is offline Old Post 01-06-2003 09:57 PM
gsbush

Those are good tips. I'll follow up on them tonight. I believe that when I put in the drive that came in the Tivo, I had CS and SL jumpered, as I was using it as my Secondary Slave (so I could use Secondary Master to boot off CD). As noted in the first post, Linux seems to find the drive, find the partition table, etc., but it can't run mfsbackup.

I did try it without the 160GB drive attached (just my 30GB windows drive and the WD600 that came in my Tivo), and I got the same thing, with the mfsbackup errors, so I don't think my current problem is with the 160GB drive. Of course, when I get to mfsadd'ing that one, I will have to at least try the things you've suggested.

Any ideas on
a) what capacity the Tivo Series 2 60 hour single drive is? (33.8GB?) It's model number is WD600 which www.wdc.com claims is a 60 GB drive...
b) why mfsbackup horks on the zone map, and what I can do to fix that?

Again, thanks in advance.

Greg

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

curiousgeorge is offline Old Post 01-07-2003 05:26 AM
curiousgeorge

Wait...you had CS AND SL jumpered on the SAME drive? I didn't know you could do that. I thought they were either/or. The WD600 specs don't show that config, either.

If you use CS (Cable Select), the drive in the middle IDE connector on the ribbon will be the slave drive and the one at the end will be the master. The Cable Selects the Master/Slave relationship.

If you use MA (Master) and SL (Slave) jumpers (and leave CS OFF on both drives), the MA drive will be the master, regardless of the position on the IDE ribbon cable. Ditto the SL. If you're using CS, you should use it on both drives that are on the same IDE cable, and NOT use MA or SL on either drive.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged