TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Elementary School Pledges <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nmiller855 is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nmiller855 Find more posts by nmiller855 Add nmiller855 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nmiller855
TiVo Forum Special Member

There is a Texas Flag Pledge:
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

well, now it is pan.

No one said anything cause you were missing.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrmike Find more posts by mrmike Add mrmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrmike
Ground Pounder

quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
I thought about that too, only..... I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!!

I searched and searched, really I did......

Well, apart from being a Dead Kennedys tune, it's also an attempt at being clever and bringing Godwin's Law in under the table by referencing the "Deutchland Uber Alles" slogan.

-MM
edit: It means "California above all (others)"

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

barclay is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for barclay Visit barclay's homepage! Find more posts by barclay Add barclay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barclay
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker
I live in Texas, and have never heard some other pledge

Me Too. I was born and raised in Texas. Then again, I was born and raised in Plano, and the rules tend to be different there.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBL is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GBL Find more posts by GBL Add GBL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GBL
covert opiniative

quote:
Originally posted by mrmike

"Deutchland Uber Alles".

-MM

Just to be geeky ... It's

"Deutschland Über Alles"

(note the missing "s" and Umlaut))

1 Sony SVR2000 (upgraded to 75 hrs), 1 Philips HDR612, 2 HDR112s (upgraded to 75 and 140 hrs), 1 SA8000HD (160GB)
unpaid volunteer, TiVo army

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

quote:

Thanks. I got the Dead Kennedy thing, but couldn't find a translation. I appreciate it.

It won't be my user tag, however. I like California and have lived here all my life (with a few years off for travelling), but I don't care much for the crazoids who populate the state.

That's another thread though.

I'm eclectic.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

quote:
Originally posted by justapixel

That's another thread though.

Actually, that's THIS thread.

Remember, those crazoids are the ones that came up with that stupid world pledge.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avaloncourt is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 05:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avaloncourt Find more posts by avaloncourt Add avaloncourt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avaloncourt
Unemployed

Re: Re: Elementary School Pledges

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy

It's contradictoray on it's face.

You can't "cherish every living thing" and have "peace and freedom everywhere" at the same time -- at least not in today's world. There is good and evil on this planet, and the only ensure peace and freedom is to eradicate (i.e. kill) the evildoers.

Now you went and made it complicated and they were just getting the hang of peeing standing up.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 10:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

quote:

Yeah, that whole "turn the other cheek" thing is so last-millennium. What was Jesus thinking?

If you look at that whole speech (the Sermon on the Mount) it's obvious that Jesus was talking about "turning the other cheek" when someone insults you, not when they actually attack you. Big difference.

And while we're at it, the correct translation of the 6th Commandment is "Thou shalt not murder."

For the record, I've been an atheist since I was 12-13 (so 20-21 years).

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 02:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters
TiVo Forum Special Member

Actually, Lillian Genser, the author of the United Nations World Pledge, is from Detroit. And this crap is being done all over the country, not just in California.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Doh is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Doh Find more posts by Doh Add Doh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doh
Advanced Member

It does seem kind of funny to me that (although I'm no expert) the message of the pledge seems to be basically Jesus' message, and yet a lot of conservative christians would object to the pledge as PC drivel (while a lot of liberals who would object to god in the classroom would not object to this message).

By the way, I got the deutschland uber alles reference, but i don't see the point. The third reich was not known for its environmental, or world peace, policies, and it seems a stretch to imply this pledge is fascist.

We now return to your previously scheduled opinions/posts.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 10-01-2002 04:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrmike Find more posts by mrmike Add mrmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrmike
Ground Pounder

quote:
Originally posted by DanT
If you look at that whole speech (the Sermon on the Mount) it's obvious that Jesus was talking about "turning the other cheek" when someone insults you, not when they actually attack you. Big difference.

And while we're at it, the correct translation of the 6th Commandment is "Thou shalt not murder."

I'm not gonna argue context, though I don't agree with your interpretation of that text, but in the general context of "we should kill all the evil folks" the whole quasi-pacifist acceptance of his death for the greater good thing and the "live by the sword, perish by the sword" bit gets complicated at best. I can't off the top of my head think where Jesus actually advocated deadly force or even violence against another save metaphor (If thine eye offend, etc) or his youthful indiscretion in the temple, though. And if you get historical on the wording of the 6th, you have to accept that killing anyone who wasn't part of your tribe wasn't murder and so was pretty much OK within certain other guidelines. We don't want to promote that, now do we?

The bottom line is that this militant notion that the only way to expunge evil from the world is to kill/destroy it is not the only notion there is, and in fact would seem not to be completely in tune with some of the teachings of the guy lots of the folks who seem to be against this pledge claim to follow. Me, I take my philosophy chinese menu style (One from column A, One from column B) so I tend to not get caught up in who thought what but more in "Is this a good precept" so it's no skin off my nose if people want to believe three contradictory things before breakfast, myself included.

-MM

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged