TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> What's in your Tivo? An upgrade question. <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rudiger is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rudiger Find more posts by rudiger Add rudiger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudiger

What's in your Tivo? An upgrade question.

Call this a storage check!

I'm interested on what everyone has for a hard drive solution.
I myself replaced the original drive with a Maxtor 120 GB HD. But I would like to see what you guys got "under your hood".

Anybody out there have more than two drives installed? Who out there is using LBA48? Has anyone created an external storage solution?

rudiger

DSR6000 -> 120 GB HD -> CacheCard/512 RAM -> WGA54G wireless adapter

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

philwojo is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 01:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for philwojo Find more posts by philwojo Add philwojo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philwojo

Not sure if this has ever been asked, but has anyone tried to use a USB connection on a Series 2 to add a 3rd HD to their unit?

Not sure that it would be needed, but just curious.

BTW I just put in a new Segate 80gb HD and my phillip HDR112 that I bought used already has a turbonet card in it.

phil

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 02:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

Re: What's in your Tivo? An upgrade question.

quote:
Originally posted by rudiger
I'm interested on what everyone has for a hard drive solution.
SIG says it all!

Well, almost all. Maxtor.

313 hours Basic quality

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 02:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

No mods made here.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

I have a Series 1 Sony SVR2000 with an 80 GB A by Western Digital, and a 120 GB B Maxtor. It's been running that way over 2 years.

I have a new Philips DTiVo DSR704 that I ugraded last week with two 160 GB Maxtors.

I have another DSR704 that is stock.

I haven't messed with the LBA48 stuff and don't see any resaon to go through the trouble.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

I got mine without HDD, and got a bit of a deal on two 80 GB HDDs (one for the Tivo, one for my PC)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Drimple is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drimple Find more posts by Drimple Add Drimple to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drimple

I have a Series 2 40 hour and I added a Maxtor 160 GB.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

heyitscory is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 07:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for heyitscory Visit heyitscory's homepage! Find more posts by heyitscory Add heyitscory to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heyitscory
Practically Gay

40Gigs Maxtor + 120Gigs Samsung

At least I would have that if I didn't suck so much.

"I'm a "big brain" now? I knew all my heyitscory defending would pay off one day!" - Fofer
"I've said it before and I'll say it again; heyitscory is my favorite new poster." - Fofer

For all the latest Cory News itscory.com Blog... Pictures... Crap

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Butter fingers is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Butter fingers Find more posts by Butter fingers Add Butter fingers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Butter fingers

Twin 120Gigs.
Trying to mount to a Cobalt linux server with twin 80Gigs for additional, not that I need the space but I cant seem to leave well enough alone.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

I always just do a single HD, Samsung drives. I'd rather add a second (standalone) TiVo to resolve conflicts than more space on the first one.

We've got three up and running. Fourth ready to sell (want to buy it? see sig) or replace one of the three, but prefer sell--want to get the Pioneer 810H unit.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rbenotti is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 01:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rbenotti Find more posts by rbenotti Add rbenotti to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbenotti

Maxtor 160Gb drive (replaced the original 40Gb drive). I'm with ThreeSoFar on the single drive theory.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

Single Samsung 120 gig in a Series 1 DTivo. I'd never even consider adding two drives to a DTivo, for it doubles your chance of hard drive failure, and with a DTivo 120 gigs is plenty (I've never come close to filling it up and have stuff on there I haven't watched that is over a year old). You possibly would need more space for an SA Tivo.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

Single Maxtor 120gb drive in a Series2. Still have the original 40 gig'er around just in case, but not using it right now.

Had originally bought the 120gb Hitachi Deskstar for the upgrade, then read bad things about it with regards to TiVo usage so put that in my desktop instead and got the Maxtor unit for the PVR.

Current universal remote: Magnavox PMDVR8 - best budget URC I have used (under $30!)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by windracer
Still have the original 40 gig'er around just in case, but not using it right now.

I have my original drive sitting around "in case." It's mounted where the second drive would go. That way I won't have to look for where I put it, and it won't be likely to get damaged.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
I have my original drive sitting around "in case." It's mounted where the second drive would go. That way I won't have to look for where I put it, and it won't be likely to get damaged.

Good idea ... I just don't have the extra mounting bracket necessary to put it in the case, so it sits in my desk with my other spare computer parts.

Current universal remote: Magnavox PMDVR8 - best budget URC I have used (under $30!)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Carfan is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Carfan Find more posts by Carfan Add Carfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carfan

Sony T 60 with a Maxtor 120 gig and a Seagate 60 gig.

Runs like a top!

Joe

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

I have added an IBM/Hitachi 80G to my 30hr SVR2000 to bring it to 131hrs. It has been working fine but I get reboots about once a week. Heavily hacked so I may be having memory space problems.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Seagate 160GB in one, stock disk in the other.

No, you can't add a USB disk.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Nittany Lions is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nittany Lions Find more posts by Nittany Lions Add Nittany Lions to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nittany Lions
Knew Member

I had a 160 Maxtor. It died. Fortunately, I was able to dd_rescue it to a new Samsung 160.

I, too, keep my original 40 GB in case. And I needed it when the Maxtor started dying.

RCA DirecTivo DVR40 - 120 Hrs

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrojanHorse is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrojanHorse Find more posts by TrojanHorse Add TrojanHorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrojanHorse
Time Bandit

Lion - how do you go about dd_rescue? I just lost my 120 GB Maxtor last night and had to put the original 40 GB drive back in my DTiVo... hopefully I'll have a new 160 GB drive by Saturday and I can do it then, but I have some stuff on the dead drive I'd like to keep if possible.

[edit] answered my own question...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...368#post1598368

Last edited by TrojanHorse on 06-24-2004 at 09:25 PM

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged