TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Pioneer DVR810 - replacing the drive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JillN1234 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JillN1234 Find more posts by JillN1234 Add JillN1234 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JillN1234

Pioneer DVR810 - replacing the drive

Am seriously considering buying the Pioneer 810H which has 80 hrs of recording time, plus will burn to built in DVD burner.

We also currently have a Tivo branded Series 2 80 Hr DVR, and we're running out of space.

So my question is.....

I'd like to replace the new Pioneer 810H with a new drive 350 gig from WeakKnees, which requires removing the existing 80 gig drive from the new system.

Can I then take that 80 gig drive, and ADD it to my existing Tivo Series 2? I know that I"ll need some parts from WeakKnees, specifically the drive bracket, power cable splitter and maybe an upgraded fan, but would I need to do any formating of that 80 gig drive that I remove from my brand new Pioneer 810H Tivo?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

You can't just drop the drive in. You'd have to follow the instructions in Hinsdale or Weaknees Interactive to add the drive to the TiVo.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

C Turner Joy is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for C Turner Joy Find more posts by C Turner Joy Add C Turner Joy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C Turner Joy

I would reconsider the 810 purchase. I have one and am not happy with it. Search the archives to see all the complaints. Picture quality is my top issue. Related to that is that if you do use the highest quality setting you can only put an hour of video to one DVD disc.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deja-vue is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deja-vue Visit Deja-vue's homepage! Find more posts by Deja-vue Add Deja-vue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deja-vue
Challenge everything

Thumbs up

I sold my 810H with 353 hours on Ebay shortly.
My only gripe was that i couldn't create my own DVD-menu's.
Otherwise, the machine has a excellent PQ and performed well.
I do all my DVD-burning on my PC, it lets me create menus and other neat stuff, that i just couldn't do with the Pioneer.

I am looking into the Panasonic E100 now, or just wait until they come out with DVD+R DL support.
just my $0.02

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just a quick note - the largest drives we sell are actually 300 GB - not 350.

Also, to add that 80 to the other TiVo, you'll need some formatting as Robert S mentioned, and also some hardware to hold it in place.

Michael

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged