TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Signs of problems to come? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GT3NE1 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GT3NE1 Visit GT3NE1's homepage! Find more posts by GT3NE1 Add GT3NE1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GT3NE1

Signs of problems to come?

So I upgraded my new Phillips Series 2 this weekend, had a little bit of trouble:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=182144

but with the help of a helpful board member (thanks Robert S), I got it upgraded and it now reports 144 hours of capacity.

It worked fine last night, but it is starting to develop problems. When I hit the Tivo button, I get the first menu, but with the background of the tv show I was watching, instead of the blue screen. And when I was watching a recorded SFU tonight, it just froze after the first 15 minutes and I couldn't FF or anything. I can rewind and stuff, but can't FF past that point.

When I first started it up after the upgrade, it still showed the previously recorded movies before I upgraded, but they wouldn't play obviously because I just preserved the settings and not the recordings.

Not a problem, I just deleted them, however I am 99% sure that the first two movies I recorded after the upgrade had the same problem. I say 99% because I think I recorded those movies after the upgrade. I deleted them and have since watched a couple of recorded movies w/o problems, but these small little problems seem like troubled waters ahead to me.

What does the board think?

Sony VHS
Playstation 2
Philips DSR704 modified to 144 hrs.
Home Theatre Master MX-500

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

I would think your new drive is faulty. You need to identify the failing drive (it's very likely to be the new one, but it would be nice to have some evidence for that) and use dd or dd_rescue to clone the failing drive on to a replacement.

You should probably check the cables first, though.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GT3NE1 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GT3NE1 Visit GT3NE1's homepage! Find more posts by GT3NE1 Add GT3NE1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GT3NE1

You think? That would suck. I guess at least I could take it back and get the same drive for cheaper at CompUSA.

Sony VHS
Playstation 2
Philips DSR704 modified to 144 hrs.
Home Theatre Master MX-500

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Start by running diagnostics on it to see if it really is faulty.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged