TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Recomendations for a Hard Drive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mnew is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mnew Find more posts by mnew Add mnew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnew

Recomendations for a Hard Drive

Hi Newbie question here.

I have a Thompson Tivo which has a 15G and a 30G drive in it. I have managed to backup these and restore the image onto a single 60G drive that I have lying around.

I want to increase the capacity and also one of the origonal drives seems a little noisy.

What are the recomendations for a really quiet Hd that will work on the Tivo?

Are there any limitations to the drive types that the Tivo will take?

Mark Newton

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike B is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike B

I've recently bought a Samsung SpinPoint P1604N 7200rpm 160GB drive. Admittedly I've put it in my PC rather than my TiVo, but it does seem very quiet - an improvement on the 60GB Maxtor 5400rpm drive it replaced.

Others on here have recommended the Samsung's I think. The advantage of these drives compared to the (slightly) cheaper Maxtor ones is that they come with a 3-year warranty rather than the standard 1-year that you get with most drives nowadays.

If I could afford to buy another one now, I wouldn't hesistate in getting a Samsung to go in the TiVo.

Mike

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mnew is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mnew Find more posts by mnew Add mnew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnew

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out that drive. I gather then 160G is fine. Could I run two of them or is that just being greedy : )

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike B is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike B

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need to apply a patch to the kernel to get the full size of 160GB drives to be recognized. IIRC, there is a limit of 137GB per drive (possibly something to do with 48-bit logical block addressing). You might want to investigate this before buying a drive.

Try this thread here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...?threadid=83342

Last edited by Mike B on 06-28-2004 at 05:45 PM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged