TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Modem problem, or something else? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
c_stanes is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c_stanes Find more posts by c_stanes Add c_stanes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_stanes

Question Modem problem, or something else?

Hello,

I have an original Tivo, model HDR312 that I recently upgraded to a new hard drive. It's been out of commission for over a year only because I received a dual-tuner DVR from my cable company that distracted me from my Tivo.

However, now that I have moved and my cable company doesn't have good DVRs, I thought it would be time to upgrade the Tivo. The hard drive upgrade worked well, and as I am trying to go through guided setup, Tivo cannot make a connection.

I noticed that when Tivo is connected to the phone line, I hear a lot of distortion, buzzing, clicking, etc. on my line through another phone, and this noise quits when I unplug Tivo's phone jack.

Is this a sign of a bad modem or could it be something else? I tried changing phone cords and phone jacks and I still receive the same results.

Thank you!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

This does sound like a dead modem. Have you tried listening on another phone while you plug the phone line in? Does it sound like someone else is picking up the line when you plug it into the TiVo? If so then the modem is definitely dead. The good news is that you can fix this quite easily and cheaply with an external modem. You can PM me if you want a site for a cheap ext. modem

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c_stanes is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c_stanes Find more posts by c_stanes Add c_stanes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_stanes

Yes, the buzzing, clicking, etc. is what I hear any time that Tivo is hooked to a phone line. Regardless of whether it is trying to dial or not, it adds that garbage to the line.

I only revived my Tivo in an attempt to not use the horrible software that Comcast uses on their digital cable / DVR boxes, and don't want to spend a terrible amount of money. I am interested in the modem fix (or maybe ethernet?). I have sent you a PM.

Thank you for your help

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged