TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> best place to preform upgrade? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Keith_R90210 Find more posts by Keith_R90210 Add Keith_R90210 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keith_R90210

best place to preform upgrade?

Hey all, I ordered a kit from Weaknees and should be upgrading the recording capacity of my 40 hour Series 2 either at the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Anyways, this will be my first time doing this and I don't want to screw anything up inside my box by doing this upgrade in a place that may be hazardous to my TiVo (ie: lots of static electricity and humidity). That said; where is a reasonable place to do this upgrade and avoid any hazards to my gear? I was thinking my garage but than I realized humidity is a big problem there since I live in FL. Any suggestions? where do you guys pop your cases and do these upgrades? thanks.

-Keith-

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HomeUser is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HomeUser Find more posts by HomeUser Add HomeUser to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomeUser

I use the kitchen table spread with some old newspapers to protect the table from scratches. Humidity helps keep static electricity from building up so if the air in the house is dry form air conditioning you might want to use the garage.

Another item to consider is what you wear do not were polyester or wool and be sure to ground yourself to a water pipe or the cover of a light switch (for plastic covers touch the metal screw) then before touching anything inside the TiVo touch the metal case of the TiVo and touch it often while working to keep any charges for building up.

BE SURE THE TIVO IS UNPLUGGED from the mains allow a little time for the caps in the power supply to loose there charge.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

I bought an antistatic service mat - it's padded to protect the table (and whatever I'm working on) and has an integrated grounding strap. You should use a grounding strap - these are available at Radio Shack.

Touching a water pipe isn't necessary, but do touch the metal chassis of the TiVo before touching parts.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ciucca is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ciucca Find more posts by ciucca Add ciucca to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ciucca

Red face

One word of warning! Watch out for the edge of the front bezel where the cover slides into the front, right in front of the hard drive. It us very sharp!! I attempted to remove the power connector from the hard drive without removing the drive from the case first, well my hand slipped and oooouuuuccchh!!!!! I sliced my thumb to the bone right through the vein. It took 3 stitches to close! So much for saving money on an upgrade!

Good news though when I looked at the Tivo unit the next week it had dried blood all over the MB! I took some alcohol and cleaned it all off. I thought the it was toast for sure. I hooked it back up , with the original drive, and everything worked! I then proceeded to complete the upgrade and everything went fine. The box works perfectly. I guess my blood must be non conductive!

Anyway the moral is don't worry too much about static discharge. Just use common sense and you should be fine.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simmike is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for simmike Find more posts by simmike Add simmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simmike

People are too paranoid about static discharge. Just remember to repeatedly touch the metal housing of the case before you start messing around with the computer parts. And the message about the sharp edges and getting a cut that drips onto the computer components is good advice. Also don't use a screwdriver with a magnetic head if it is going to get close to the computer stuff. You can use it on the screws holding the hard drive, but on motherboard screws, don't use it.

I've personally built hundreds of computers and done thousands of upgrades. I've never worn static electricity strip because I've never found one at the store. I always touch the metal case, especially after walking across the rug. Probably 5% of the time this actually does discharge some static electricity. The rest of the time there is no charge.

The big thing you have to watch with hard drives is to make sure the power plug stays intact as you push the plug into the drive. On cheap ones, one of the cables might push back out the plug housing and cause intermittent loss in power. This will kill a drive faster than just about anything else.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged