TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Phillips DSR704 Question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nomarian is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nomarian Find more posts by Nomarian Add Nomarian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nomarian

Phillips DSR704 Question

I recently purchased a Phillips DSR704 series TiVo/DirecTv unit. The only drive I could get a good deal on was a 160GB drive. I know that the unit only supports 120GB, but I was thinking that it would see up to that and leave the rest alone.

I went ahead and did a drive copy and then booted up the 160GB drive. TiVo still only shows 35 hours of recording time. Does this mean that this cannot be done with a 160GB drive?

The system I used to copy supports larger drive sizes.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnDubs is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnDubs Find more posts by JohnDubs Add JohnDubs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnDubs

Re: Panasonic 704 Question

quote:
Originally posted by Nomarian
I recently purchased a Panasonic 704 series TiVo/DirecTv unit. The only drive I could get a good deal on was a 160GB drive. I know that the unit only supports 120GB, but I was thinking that it would see up to that and leave the rest alone.

I went ahead and did a drive copy and then booted up the 160GB drive. TiVo still only shows 35 hours of recording time. Does this mean that this cannot be done with a 160GB drive?

The system I used to copy supports larger drive sizes.

did you expand the drive?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Nomarian is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nomarian Find more posts by Nomarian Add Nomarian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nomarian

No, I did not. I thought a drive copy would expand it automatically. Is there a switch to do that in the command line? Do I have to state only to expand to 120GB?

I guess this might be my problem. Thanks for the quick reply.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnDubs is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnDubs Find more posts by JohnDubs Add JohnDubs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnDubs

quote:
Originally posted by Nomarian
No, I did not. I thought a drive copy would expand it automatically. Is there a switch to do that in the command line? Do I have to state only to expand to 120GB?

I guess this might be my problem. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not 100% positive on this so

mfsadd -x /dev/hd()

(a , b , c ,d) etc...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

You need to erxpand. I am using 2 160 drives in my 704. Also, it will use 137 GB, not 120.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jay8dogg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jay8dogg Find more posts by jay8dogg Add jay8dogg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay8dogg

I just upgraded my DSR704 with a 120GB hard drive yesterday. I used the weaknees.com method. Use the link below to follow the step by step instructions. It is by far the easiest way i have found. I took about 1 hour to restore the the image to the hard drive, about a total time of about 1 hr 45mins for everything.

This method automatically expands the hard drive capacity for you. The software will give a number of hours expanded to after its done but your TiVo unit will give you another number. I found that the TiVo recognized hour capacity is equal to the size of your hard drive times 0.875. This number is for DirecTiVo's only. So in your case your hours should be 137Gb*0.875=~120 hours.

Gomer Pyle is right from what I've read. 160GB hard drives are seen as 137GB.

Good Luck

weaknees.com interactive upgrades

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Nomarian is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:17 AM
Nomarian

I figured it out. I did miss a step and forgot to run the last step to expand the drive to see the rest of it. I hooked it back up to my computer and ran the mfsadd command and it worked like a charm.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged