TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> New DVR39 problems <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RedLance is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RedLance Find more posts by RedLance Add RedLance to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedLance

New DVR39 problems

Greetings!

I currently run a Phillips 112, with an 80 gig A drive. It's been working great for several years now.

Just today, I received my RCA DVR39, which I got on E-bay. I want to set this one up for the kids to use. Well, when I unpacked it, I could tell something inside was loose and banging around.

Opened it up, and the HD had come loose, and torn out the front panel cable, the MB power cable, and it's own data cable.

Fixed all that, and now it powers up and sits on the Welcome. Powering up screen.

How do I find out if the drive is shot or just blank?

If I put it in one of my Linux boxes, what should I see on it?

If it's blank, where can I find an image for this unit?

Thanks!
Brian

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

The drive should pass the manufacturer's diagnostics test. Series 2 TiVoes do no lock their drives, so don't run qunlock.

If you boot the MFS Tools 2.0 CD, you should see the TiVo partition table. I've seen reports suggesting that the HDVR2's partitions don't mount under the MFS Tools 2.0 CD (partition 9 plus one or both of 4 and 7 should be mountable), so if you try mounting the partitions, it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem if that fails.

MFS Tools' mfsinfo function should list the MFS partitions.

However, I'd be amazed if a hard drive could survive that kind of treatment (I'm surprised that the TiVo can even display the splash screen!) so I would guess you're going to have to image a new drive from a backup file.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RedLance is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RedLance Find more posts by RedLance Add RedLance to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedLance

Well, just to update, it's working now.

I was able to pull a backup off the original drive, and then restore it back to the original drive, which seems to have fixed it. I also ordered a new 80 gig drive, so now I have an 80 gig A drive and the original 40 gig as a B drive, for 127 hours of storage.

Yay!

Brian

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by RedLance
Well, just to update, it's working now.

I was able to pull a backup off the original drive, and then restore it back to the original drive, which seems to have fixed it. I also ordered a new 80 gig drive, so now I have an 80 gig A drive and the original 40 gig as a B drive, for 127 hours of storage.

Yay!

Brian

More likely you just connected the cables better when you put it back together. I can't imagine restoring the same image from the hard drive back to the same hard drive fixed it. Robert S. will know if that is a likely fix for anything. In any event, that is good news. I have had to reconnect cables more than once after putting mine back to together to get them working right.

Chris

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RedLance is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:54 AM
RedLance

Well, the first time I connected the orignal 40 gig drive to my PC, it only showed something like 4 partitions. After I restored the image to it, it showed about 15 partitions..

Damndest thing I've ever seen too.

RedLance

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged