TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> I just want to add a 2nd drive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
marcello696 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for marcello696 Find more posts by marcello696 Add marcello696 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marcello696

I just want to add a 2nd drive

Ok all I want to do is add a 2nd drive to my Tivo (I already have a backup drive available). With that said do I only need to bless the 2nd drive and install it??

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Blessing only works if the A drive is not upgraded and not already married to a B drive. If the A drive is upgraded, you need to use mfsadd to add a B drive (which means putting the A drive in the PC too). If the TiVo already has two drives, you need to use dd to clone the current drive and then mfsadd to expand.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marcello696 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for marcello696 Find more posts by marcello696 Add marcello696 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marcello696

No the drive is just the factory drive with nothing upgraded or married to it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marcello696 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:08 PM
marcello696

Ok just for clarification I am upgrading a HDTivo. So to add the 2nd drive I use the boot cd and install the 2nd drive on the PC. I then use the blesstivo command and then install the 2nd drive into the Tivo and I should be go to go correct??

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Well I haven't personally worked on that model, for obvious reasons, but Hinsdale doesn't indicate there's anything too unusual about it, so I guess Blessing would work.

Remember that Series 2 TiVoes aren't byteswapped, so there's a slightly different technique for using BlessTiVo.

The good thing about Blessing is that if it goes wrong, the TiVo will just ignore the new drive, so it's pretty safe.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivolovit is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivolovit Find more posts by tivolovit Add tivolovit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivolovit

YOU GOT IT!

Yes, that's it. For the HD-TiVo make sure you boot with an LB48 disk and then just run BlessTiVo /dev/hdX

Obviously where X is your drive location. If you want peace of mind do a backup first, if not there are/will be other ways to restore that are much less convenient (I would recommend a backup).

Good luck,

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged