TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> DirecTiVo updgrade, no increased capacity <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
latypus is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for latypus Find more posts by latypus Add latypus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
latypus

DirecTiVo updgrade, no increased capacity

I blessed a new 120GB drive to add as a second drive to a new Hughes SD-DVR40. I've added it and the drive spins up, but I'm not the recording capacity is still listed as "Varies; Up to 35 hours" or somesuch, so it seems it's not recognizing the new drive.

Any suggestions for what to do in this case? Is it safe for me to remove the new drive and if so should I just re-bless it and try again?

Thanks.

Jordan

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

It would be best if you explain the procedure you used to "bless" the second drive.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

BlessTiVo produces a byteswapped signature, which is not what you want for a Series 2 TiVo. You should find that the TiVo boots just fine if you disconnect the new drive.

You can then read up on the correct way to bless a drive for a Series 2.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

latypus is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for latypus Find more posts by latypus Add latypus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
latypus

In response to JohnTivo, I followed the steps in FAQ 3.7 almost example, using BlessTiVo Version 3. I just put the drive in my machine as the primary slave, booted off Dylan's bootdisk, and ran makeboot.bat on /dev/hdb, then put the drive in my TiVo.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by latypus
In response to JohnTivo, I followed the steps in FAQ 3.7 almost example, using BlessTiVo Version 3. I just put the drive in my machine as the primary slave, booted off Dylan's bootdisk, and ran makeboot.bat on /dev/hdb, then put the drive in my TiVo.

Check out Hinsdale's How-To. Also download, if you haven't already, a bootdisk w/ MSFtools 2.0. You can download it here.

Good luck.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

It's not impossible to do this upgrade with BlessTiVo (I wouldn't actually recommend it, but it does work), it's just that the byteswapping issue means that it's more complicated to use BlessTiVo for a Series 2.

Old Hinsdale includes full instructions for the procedure.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged