TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> hinsdale error - please help <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JSam69 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JSam69 Find more posts by JSam69 Add JSam69 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JSam69

Red face hinsdale error - please help

My 80g series 2 tivo froze right in the middle of watching tv, and from then on it would show a black screen and reboot right after the "welcome" screen, and it would never get passed that screen.

I figured it was the hard drive. I have a new western digital 160g drive. I decided to use the hinsdale how-to upgrade to put the image from the 80g to the new 160g.

First I used the hard drive's setup disk to create a partition. Then, I used the mfstools bootdisk that I downloaded from the site. I did option #3, copy image from one drive to another without making a backup. It seemed to work fine. I put the new drive in the tivo, and it is frozen on "welcome, powering up." I switched the jumpers around, and made sure that everything was connected inside. What have I done wrong? Is there a way to just load the tivo OS onto my new drive without copying from the old one? Is this even a hard drive problem? I need serious help. Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Also, I tried upgrade option 2, expand from one tivo drive to a larger tivo drive. i typed in mfsadd -x /dev/hdc like the directions say and I would get an error:
/dev/hdc10: Success
mfs_load_volume_header: mfsvol_read_data:
Input/output error Unable to open MFS drives

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Did you try making a compressed backup? It's also possible to use dd to clone the drive.

However, if the TiVo doesn't boot, it's possible that the software on the drive is damaged. In that case, you need to acquire a compressed backup from someone else's TiVo. You may be able to find one online. If you can't, PTVupgrade sell a recovery CD called InstantCake, which has the same effect.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged