TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-r & Dtivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
grcooperjr is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 11:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grcooperjr Visit grcooperjr's homepage! Find more posts by grcooperjr Add grcooperjr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grcooperjr

DVD-r & Dtivo

Hi Folks

I have a chance to get a new Panasonic DMR-E100HS for a really good price and I would use it with my dtivo. I know that there are a few of you folks that have DVD recorders and was wondering if:

1. anyone has this unit
2. what ya think about it
3. how easy is it to use

I have to factor everything in the house by ease of use for the wife (blond) or I'll get killed...

Thanks

Ray C.

HDVR2 stock
HDVR2 243 hrs
HDVR2 243 hrs
DSR7000 243 hrs

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 07:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter
TiVo Forum Special Member

panasonic E80/100 friendly forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...php?forumid=106

It would help if you posted your source for your good price over there. They are always looking for bargains.

I have the E80 and the manual sucks but reading through that forum helped me do everything I wanted to. I love the E80 to burn my fav. series and use the HD for extra space when my tivo runs out.

Keep in mind panny only burns -R and RAM and that you can't burn back from the dvd to the hard drive even for your home movies. I think the positives outweigh the negatives but we all have our preferences.

If you have more specific questions I will give a stab at them.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scopeman is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scopeman Visit Scopeman's homepage! Find more posts by Scopeman Add Scopeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scopeman
SDTivo, HDTivo

quote:
Originally posted by newsposter
Keep in mind panny only burns -R and RAM and that you can't burn back from the dvd to the hard drive even for your home movies.

Not actually true - there are ways to burn things onto DVD-RAM on your PC and get them into the Panny units I beleive. Check out:

http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp

I have the older Panny HS2 model (40gb HD) - love it combination of DTivo and a DVD-R burner.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter

quote:
Originally posted by Scopeman
Not actually true - there are ways to burn things onto DVD-RAM on your PC and get them into the Panny units I beleive. Check out:

http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp

I have the older Panny HS2 model (40gb HD) - love it combination of DTivo and a DVD-R burner.

I should have said my panasonic E80 only burns -R and RAM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grcooperjr is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grcooperjr Visit grcooperjr's homepage! Find more posts by grcooperjr Add grcooperjr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grcooperjr

Hi again

Thanks for the replies and links.

-R's and Ram's don't bother me. All of my readers only read -R's in record-ables and the computers read and write both.

As far as the good pricing, Oops... it's for employ's only and only 1 every 6 months at the good cheaper price. ( I wish I could say ,but then I would have to shoot everyone for divulging the employ price) I can get all I want at $840 each though.....

Thanks so much again for the info and the links. It looks like it will be just the ticket...

Ray C.

HDVR2 stock
HDVR2 243 hrs
HDVR2 243 hrs
DSR7000 243 hrs

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grcooperjr is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 11:27 AM
grcooperjr

DMR-E100H showed up last thursday. (1-22)

You are correct that the inst. man. is kinda badly writen. But it sure does work good with the Dtivo plus. It is a whole lot better than the computer method i use to do..

Thanks again for the info and the site links

Ray C

HDVR2 stock
HDVR2 243 hrs
HDVR2 243 hrs
DSR7000 243 hrs

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

speedcouch is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for speedcouch Visit speedcouch's homepage! Find more posts by speedcouch Add speedcouch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedcouch

Re: DVD-r & Dtivo

quote:
Originally posted by grcooperjr

I have a chance to get a new Panasonic DMR-E100HS for a really good price and I would use it with my dtivo. I know that there are a few of you folks that have DVD recorders and was wondering if 1. anyone has this unit
2. what ya think about it, 3. how easy is it to use.

I have to factor everything in the house by ease of use for the wife (blond) or I'll get killed...

I've had the E-30 for about a year now and am pretty happy with it. Works great to copy stuff from the Tivo. The manual does leave a lot out, but I've muddled along pretty well so far. I've just had a few instances of it crashing and having to "recover" which bother me a bit, but I've never really lost anything that I can remember. But I am blonde, so maybe that explains it...

Cheryl

Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

antalo is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 11:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for antalo Find more posts by antalo Add antalo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
antalo

Panasonic DMR-100Hs

quote:
Originally posted by grcooperjr
DMR-E100H showed up last thursday. (1-22)

You can get the DMR-E100HS for a ted under $ 800.-

I am ithing to get one. Did anybody "upgraded" the E80 or E100 ?

The DVD-Ram disks are pretty expensive. If you use the DVD-R, lot of the disks get thrown away, because you can't correct a mistake and if there is any "errors " in recording. Right now I have 2ea. Philips DVR-985 and I use DVD+ WR disks and many disks out of the box have "Disk warning"-s and after a certain number of those you gat a "Disk Error" and sometimes you cand recover the recorder stuff.

Antalo

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:10 AM
newsposter

Re: Panasonic DMR-100Hs

quote:
Originally posted by antalo
You can get the DMR-E100HS for a ted under $ 800.-

I am ithing to get one. Did anybody "upgraded" the E80 or E100 ?

The DVD-Ram disks are pretty expensive. If you use the DVD-R, lot of the disks get thrown away, because you can't correct a mistake and if there is any "errors " in recording. Right now I have 2ea. Philips DVR-985 and I use DVD+ WR disks and many disks out of the box have "Disk warning"-s and after a certain number of those you gat a "Disk Error" and sometimes you cand recover the recorder stuff.

Antalo

I am not quite sure what you are saying but will attempt to answer what I think are some concerns. I have no clue what an upgraded e80 or e100 is. RAM is definitely more expensive but circuit city has it 5/19.99 on a regular basis on sale. I don't know a thing about your machines but I'm assuming they don't have hard drives since you apparently are throwing a lot of disks away. Other than the rare bad disk, I've never had a bad burn because all the editing is on the hard drive. To me, this would make up for the difference you have in your bad disks if you do not have a hard drive. For the bad disks you say you have, have you tried using them again after letting the machine cool down or just reinserting them. That works most of the time for me.

what brand of disks are you using?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grcooperjr is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:32 AM
grcooperjr

Well

The DMR 100 h does have a hard drive (120gig) and in the month that I have had it I have yet to have a bad burn. It
does not work with DVD-RW disks and only burns DVD-R or DVD-Ram or at least that is what my instructions say.

So far I am extremely pleased with the way it works. I got my blanks from Meritline and a very low low price compared to the street. the only draw back is that you have to buy in bluk to get the low prices...

HDVR2 stock
HDVR2 243 hrs
HDVR2 243 hrs
DSR7000 243 hrs

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:54 AM
newsposter

Keep an eye on circuit city. they have RAM for 5/19.99 occasionally. I've also had good luck with the spindles of memorex 50/$50 at best buy. Maybe 2 coasters out of 30+ so far. Many of the 'bad' disks somehow work after letting the machine cool down. Weird, but it works.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged